East Coast tour - Analysis Amphitryons

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi so I went to New York, Queens, and demoed an Analysis Amphitryon system with Lamm pre and the Lamm hybrid monos (220w each). This is easily the best speaker I have heard and does more soundstaging, sounds more real, and is more dynamic than any planar. Not only does it do the best piano, but I also played Zep on it, and for those who are familiar with the end of Gnomus in Mussorgsky’s Pictures, that thump is driven into your midriff like a piledriver. The soundstaging with the Lamm was excellent, backwards and forwards. The room doesn’t have much room at the side, but I already know that they do a big soundstage sideways.

As compared to the Omegas, the difference is mainly in the bass. But then I have heard the Omegas with Valves, and the Amphis with hybrids. The valve character was retained. I think Amphis are required for a bigger room and the ultimate in dynamism, but otherwise Omegas are fine. The crossovers were updated with Duelunds

They did have BG Radia dipole woofers attached, but when we took the woofers off it made no difference to the bass and actually sounded better. No room treatment except diffusers behind the listener, and Synergistic HFTs. 23 * 15 ft room. Source was a CEC TLO transport going into a Weiss Medea

More interesting reviews from the East Coast coming up – had 3 days there, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and flew in back to work today morning. Brilliant trip that answered a lot of my audiophile questions.

Attachments

• AA1.jpg
    AA1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 55
  • AA2.jpg
    AA2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 55
  • AA3.jpg
    AA3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
Excellent at last. Now they do look as thought they need more space!

Looks like you are having a good time out there indeed:)

I am off work until the New Year so burning the Interstella in waiting for your "I prefer the Omegas" assessment. Only I think you might not. But we'll see:)

I'd like to hear the smaller AAs. There's a big subjective performancegap between Duettas and Calipers though Caliper is just about as small as I'd dare go with all planar magnetic technology. It's still a good speaker.

I like the refurbished by One Thing 57 best out of all the Quads. Sod all in the way of dynamics but they have an amazing mid. The 2905s can muster some dynamics, though.

I like the 63s the least. No dynamics to speaker of - basically a dead sounding speaker. Some people actually like that, though. Pipe and slippers jobs:)

Back