Pioneer Elite for preamp vs a quality preamp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen! It's me again asking for some suggestions regarding preamp. I have an extra Pioneer Elite using it as a preamp. I am wondering if there are differences between the receiver versus a quality preamp as far as quality sound purpose? I really don't want to spend money for another pre/pro if I don't have to and if it doesn't make any different between the two. I also like using the digital source instead of analog for movie and music. All suggestions are very appreciated.

Last edited:
The short answer is yes a good stand alone will sound better.

That said it will depend on the other equipment that is in the signal chain. Depending on your system you may or may not hear a difference and if you do hear a difference do you like it and is it worth the money spent. As always YMMV.

I would suggest test driving some preamps by borrowing some. Do you have any friends with seperate components? Will a dealer loan you a preamp to test drive before pruchase?

Listening will be the only way to know.

Hi Johnny.... I used to think the pre didn't make that big of a difference.... I had a processor and things seemed a bit sterile... things seemed a bit 2D vs 3D.... I then decided I wanted to try a tube pre-amp - 2 channel... and all I can say is - it was one of the best purchases I made... If you are looking for 2 channel - I think yes - it can indeed make a very nice difference.... I got a cary slp98p and my jaw hit the floor... I was astonished at the difference vs my old 5 channel solid state pre/pro..... Re: 5/channel - digital in ... I can not speak to a 'good one' vs one that is getting you by.... I know for me - it was the last change I made - and I was amazed at the difference.

Alright, thank you gentlemen. I will test it out.

And Timm, seem like you really like the tube preamp. But Im trying to set up the ht also, and 2 channel doesnt seem to work. Haven't heard you mention about 3 or 5 channel? Im getting the pass labs x250 to drive my fronts Odyssey.

Alright, thank you gentlemen. I will test it out.

And Timm, seem like you really like the tube preamp. But Im trying to set up the ht also, and 2 channel doesnt seem to work. Haven't heard you mention about 3 or 5 channel? Im getting the pass labs x250 to drive my fronts Odyssey.

The odyssey and pass will be magical I think. I used to be big into 2 channel - that's all there was - I went down the 5 channel route and then came back to 2 channel. I use my rig for 100% music and prefer 2 channel. Now you will find others here that really dig the multi-channel so maybe they might chime in.

5 channel amp - I still like the sunfire signature but I think you said you had a negative experience. Processor wise - I am not the best guy for that. A lot depends on your budget and where you think you are headed with this -- ie do you want to consider the Dolby atmos codec...do you want room correction etc... There are some threads here that will get you thinking a bit before you pull the trigger. Usually in the off topic/audio video section. Look for jonfo's Dolby atmos thread and it might get you thinking about what u want in a processor

Hi Johnny,

First, congrats on buying Tom's 250. A decision you will never regret.

Onto your question. If your system use is split between 2 channel audio and watching dvd's (or other surround sound modes) in a five or seven channel configuration, that would rule out the "purist stereo only" preamp. However......

there are stereo pre's that have what's called a "theater bypass" that would allow you to use your stereo pre for two channel listening, and have that pre send the audio to a surround sound type device. You can then use your Pioneer for the later and buy a stereo only pre if you do or want to do serious 2 channel listening and assuming you have the funds. From a "sonic perspective, that would be the best option.

FWIW and I'm sure others will chime in, I recently sold my Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS for about $1,300 (initial retail $4K). IMHO, an outstanding, musical piece of gear for that amount of money.

If dedicated two channel is not that important and assuming:

1) you want to use your Odyssey's for both purposes, and

2) your proportional split of stereo vs multi-channel is somewhere in the 50 - 50 range, or more prone to multi - channel use, stay with the Pioneer at this time.

In the future, you can consider buying a more transparent pre - pro or purchase a higher quality stereo pre, assuming you feel an upgrade is appropriate.

Hope that helps.

GG

Thank you all for your inputs. I am starting to learn more and more since I join this forum. Saving for a pre has begun.

Hello gentlemen! It's me again asking for some suggestions regarding preamp. I have an extra Pioneer Elite using it as a preamp. I am wondering if there are differences between the receiver versus a quality preamp as far as quality sound purpose? I really don't want to spend money for another pre/pro if I don't have to and if it doesn't make any different between the two. I also like using the digital source instead of analog for movie and music. All suggestions are very appreciated.

NuForce MCP 18 preamp 2 channel or multichannel.

available at www.audioadvisor.com

Price $ 499.

L/R 10 volts.
Rest 4 volts max output.

Made in China.

You can also talk to experts at audio advisor.

Do the research before buying. Please if possible get other forum members opinion on this preamp.

Audio Advisor offers a 30 day risk free guarantee. Will return or exchange.

Have Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Gordon. You just bought yourself one killer amp. Don't buy a cheap pre. Consider what options you want ... Do the research ...and make sure it mates well with the pass labs amp.

Thank you guys. High end gears always the way to go if financially comfortable right? Well, as of right now, I am looking for a pre/pro that can fits better with pass labs than the pioneer I'm currently owned.

Im looking at a krell showcase 7.1 processor for my HT set up. Anyone has any experience in this piece and how that may works with my odyssey and pass labs? Thank you all for your time

Last edited:
Yeah you probably need a pre with an HY bypass. Timms 98 per does not have one stock but Cary can add one for you.

But yes, I'm a fan of tube pre in an otherwise SS system. I have the Cary 05.

Back