Open the woofer of a Sequel1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaflux

Reaction score
Hello there

I've been searching the forum about the task "how to open the woofer section of a Sequel" and could find nothing that would help me. My pair of Sequel1 works generally fine, but one of them has problems with its woofer. The very low bass is beeing set out, but the low and mid-range sounds are not and sound very dull (compaired with the one good Sequel).

I am used to open hi-fi components, just recently the CD player had been fixed, jet, a different story... But with the Sequel, my knowing is not enough. After having removed the 8 frontsidescrews of the woofer, nothing happened. Absolutely nothing changed, the woofer didn't move anywhere or got loose to remove it. I noticed that on the woodentop of the woofer, right under the panel and bass electronic section, the head of a rather big screw is seen. This screw must be attached to something inside the woofer-cabinet. I didn't dare to turn this screw because there would be still no access to the inside of the woofer cabinet.

Maybe to remove the side-trim-panels too, but i can't see how to access the woofer cabinet. On this occasion, i'd like to thank Steve for instructions about stator panel washing - a lot to learn there!

Can anyone give me some hints or facts about this woofer problem, how to open it?

Last edited:
I contacted ML and this is what is to be done:

use a lag bolt with the same thread size as the screws holding the woofer and screw the lag bolt into one of the woofer screw holes, but not far enough in that it reaches the cabinet. Like this you will have a handle of sorts to pull on the woofer which may be enough to release it.

During the production life of the original Sequel it was produced in a couple of different ways with the first models having a “leatherette” covering on the cabinet which over the years can create quite a bond with the woofer.

The excellent ML-Customer-Service (Dana) does recommend to do a electronic-board swap, and this is the week-end plan; swapping the Sequels! After that it will be clear if the electronics are causing the issue or the woofer itself.

Latest posts

Back