Odyssey help please please

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked it out and I'm sure it's a good amp for my odyssey. But I am looking for 5.1 so I can drive a logos center and ml electrostatic rears. Try to find some use ones but it seems like there is not a whole lot online. Do you happen to know any website carries use amps to suit my situation? Thanks

Hmmm. I wonder how that amp will handle 3 stats on it..... The specs do not really indicate it will be a happy camper... But good luck.

I couldn't wait until tonight to test the mono wire you told me, so I took off from work and drove home to test it out but no good result. The mid is terrible, it is worse than the bose acoustic i was using to sing, and the bose is horrible already. I would want to try some amps that you guys recommended but not sure if it makes any different in karaoke. Living in a town with no local dealer and can not audition one is not going to make any better. What I have been doing was going through different reviews and order it online. The amps are expensive and I cant afford to order it and test it put to see if it works. Anyone has experience with using a commercial amp for the odyssey?

I am sorry johnny the idea did not work. Are you sure you have okay power cables for the ML and the rest of the system?

I am sorry johnny the idea did not work. Are you sure you have okay power cables for the ML and the rest of the system?

I'm not so sure about the speakers cable either hihi... I was gonna ask that question next. I may sound dump but I'm brand new to this, so please bare with me and lead me to the right stuffs. I just used a regular speaker cable that I used before for all of my bose speakers. What kind of cable for ML?

When you say power cable, what do you mean? The power cable comes with the speakers and I plug it in the outlets in the house

Hmmm. I wonder how that amp will handle 3 stats on it..... The specs do not really indicate it will be a happy camper... But good luck.

Well, the logos is on its way, I don't have it yet. That is why I'm looking for a right affordable amp. Luckily I contacted the rotel seller and he let me return it. That would save me some for the next amp

Well, the logos is on its way, I don't have it yet. That is why I'm looking for a right affordable amp. Luckily I contacted the rotel seller and he let me return it. That would save me some for the next amp

Please laugh it out loud if you want. I thought my rotel was the best one on the planet.

Could you please post some images of ML's. Forward and reverse images including the terminals for cable binding. Would like to ascertain that panels are in good condition. i hope you have listened to the odysseys with a suitable amplifier before making the purchase, to know they sound good.

Leave the interconnects and speaker cable purchase for after you have purchased a amplifier and remaining loudspeakers.

I have CLX power cables for the past 4 years and i know they are better than the regular cables supplied with ML's.

I bought them when they are $ 150 each. You need two cables. I do not know the most recent price.

If i were you i would drop the idea of a multichannel amplifier and extra loudspeakers. Not the purist route. If odysseys are in good condition just buy a powerful high quality two channel amplifier and pre-amplifier. Listen to movie in stereo sound. A transparent pre-amplifier is made by Bryston. Bryston headphone amplifier that can also function as a pre-amp.
Price $ 1350. I suggest you visit the music direct website. Sale on Columbia balanced interconnects. Connects through XLR preamp to power amp. Just for the balanced audio outputs buy the Oppo 105 Darbee blue ray player. Picture i believe is great to. Do not buy extra loudspeakers the one you have is very very good. Focus on quality of audio reproduction. Since i do not think you are a HiFi Shark the used equipment purchased will be money down the drain because performance due to age will be average and might also need repair in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll have a difficult time finding a 5 channel amp for this system you're putting together. Odysseys are very difficult to drive, so a high quality 2 channel amp would be my suggestion to drive those. Then look for a 3 channel amp for the surrounds and center. I also recommend Sunfire Signature amps. Great bang for the buck. Maybe a sunfire cinema signature would be a good 5 channel amp for your needs.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 118
The Odysseys look to be in very good shape.

The power cable also looks good no need to upgrade to CLX power cable.

After looking at the images i think definitely the problem was with the Rotel amplifier. Not enough juice to drive the Odyssey's.

Have Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Im looking at it right now and prob will get it.

Subjectively i think it is a bad idea to buy second hand equipment. Unless you can determine beforehand it has no defects. Best to buy used from reputable source such as friends or relatives. Possibility of risk of adverse selection exists in purchases from complete strangers. Better to examine , listen , do the research and then buy when buying from strangers.

You could use some new speaker cables too.. The ones in those pics are so small... think of your amp like a water pump and the speaker cables are the pipes. The pipes need to be thick for more water to flow and the pump needs to be as big also.

Thanks for all the good suggestions and advices gentlemen. My next move is getting a quality amp for these speakers.

Tom: I'll be contacting you tomorrow to find out. I'm very interested now.

Are there any other speaker cable affordable? I mean, dam, I'm just an average guy but those cables cost more than my speakers hehehe... How many gauge should I get? Thanks

Use the "search" button and get comfortable.

Gauge required depends on length. !4 is generally more than enough assuming you are under a 30' run per side.

Many "affordable" options. Blue Jean, Signal Cable, DH Labs, Belden, etc.

Now I am thinking about keeping my Rotel 1095 5 channel amp for HT. Do you think it would able to drive the ML Logos Center and prob Fresco rears? Thanks

I think you'll have a difficult time finding a 5 channel amp for this system you're putting together. Odysseys are very difficult to drive, so a high quality 2 channel amp would be my suggestion to drive those. Then look for a 3 channel amp for the surrounds and center. I also recommend Sunfire Signature amps. Great bang for the buck. Maybe a sunfire cinema signature would be a good 5 channel amp for your needs.

Now I am thinking about keeping my Rotel 1095 5 channel amp for HT. Do you think it would able to drive the ML Logos Center and prob Fresco rears? Thanks

Back