Meridian Quality Audio - a major development announced

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The approach claims that any data from 192 files that is not used is musically unimportant by the standards of the most recent psychoacoustic research that drove MQA development in the first place. MQA also seeks to ensure the recording chain preserves timing information, from studio to listener. For older recordings they also have analysed the specific deficiencies of earlier equipment in regard to timing aspects and claim they are able to correct ( to some extent) for these deficiencies. So there is more to the concept than outlined in your last post. It is only this complete journey from recording studio to listener that comprises MQA. The key issue obviously, is whether the process is audibly better. For me I prefer to listen rather than dismiss it altogether on theoretical grounds. I do share your scepticism to some extent, however, and in any situation where a development is at odds with some of the science, how should we respond?
For me it behoves me to do blind testing with the help of a pal:D. If it scores ...fine I shall enjoy it via Tidal...at no extra cost, as opposed to inflated HiRes prices. If not, I'll move on and keep enjoying the many great formats we already have.

Call yourself an audiophile?
Not sure if this was meant aggressively or as good natured banter? Can't see your expression Justin..
I will take it as the latter:cool: ...... Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah it was meant as a light hearted post. I was a little worried how it would be taken but figured you'd read enough of my posts to realise it wouldn't be.

I am an avid TIDAL user and look forward to it if and when it happens. I am not expecting amazement but it might raise the bar a little bit. That's always welcome.

Worry no more!

I see CES features HTC and MQA via phone as a proof of concept, but Tidal only demoing MQA via tiny Scandinavian classical label 2L. My main interest is when Tidal starts streaming and I can hear and compare, so I won't post until I hear it. Could be some time as their new CEO takes up the reins! But I would be most interested in any post comments from others especially those who hear demos at CES or elsewhere. Qobuz has a new owner btw and may expand...

Hearing MQA at home 4th Feb .....Scotland. Hype or breakthrough???

Interesting development in the debate as Bob Stuart faces some challenging questions soon, on CA!

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ance-ask-bob-stuart-anything-about-mqa-27412/

With the arrival of a Meridian MQA firmware update for my DAC On Thursday 4th February
I will have everything set up for MQA test in my place via Meridan Explorer 2 DAC both direct to Stax 009 and to my main system. Test tracks available from the excellent wee label 2L and also other tracks by artists I have heard live, from Onkyo Music. At last I shall hear for myself!!

http://https://www.onkyomusic.com

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

I have an open mind on it and am looking forward to seeing which way it goes for me............:music:

Looking forward to your report Doug.

I've been following this MQA development since the inception, and am very eager to hear it for myself. It has tremendous possibilities. The timing information recovery is potentially a big win.

MQA at home, finally!

Yes I can hear it finally ... Engaging is what immediately struck me! Music much more interesting and involving, it is much more interesting to the extent it feels wrong to analyse the differences. I just wanted to enjoy it.......

But for those not able to hear it yet (!!) I would add that string sound for example is much more accurate in timbre and detail of music line. You can hear exactly how the player is interpreting and decorating the melody. The acoustic of the recording is much more convincingly conveyed, as are for example bass drum sounds, with impact on skin and the hollow nature of the drum more real and evident. Whilst I had listened to the CD resolution tracks beforehand and noted them to be of good quality, after listening to the MQA versions and returning to the 44.1 versions, they actually sounded rather poor!

The overall sound on all the 2L Records Norway tracks is sweeter, more natural sounding and revealing. All of these comments are MQA versus 96 or 44.1. I am still working on 192 vs 44.1, partly because the 192 files take an age to download! I can detect no downside to MQA lossiness vs 192 so far.

Listening via Explorer2 and Stax 009 and Kef M500 headphones and via line out feed from Explorer2 through Martin Logan Spires with Velodyne DD12+

The relevance of it all will depend on programme made available, and cost. Less unwieldy than large Hi Res files, it has a great advantage, and if Tidal apply it to a large and interesting chunk of their catalogue...... (no word from them yet but i expect they will announce a date soon.)

Bruce, thanks so much for the detailed first experience report. Now I'm more eager than ever to hear this for myself :)

Let's hope Tidal's catalog is enhanced by this.

But I expect most of my purchases to be high-rez downloads or on BluRay.

Yes Jonathan I hope Tidal do convert some nice MQA catalogue, good stuff and a decent quantity of titles! Thats going to be the crucial thing for me. I hope they don't simply stream the limited material you can download already on MQA, from 2L records and onkyomusic.
As I listened critically to the different levels of resolution, from 2L, I was impressed by 192 as well. Sweet and easy on the eardrums! I would limit 192 purchases to favourite material, for cost and file size issues though. Mind you.... I have upgraded my broadband to be able to download files in less than a week(!!), in case I get itchy for more 192!!!
Just bought a couple of Music Matters titles on vinyl, btw .... beautiful....

Hope you get your own ears on to MQA soon...

.. I have upgraded my broadband to be able to download files ...

Exactly. So I still don't quite get MQA?

Why would you bother when you can just download/stream 24/96 or 24/192 (or DSD) files?

Okay, the files are smaller, granted.

But it's not lossless!

Back