Meridian Quality Audio - a major development announced

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougster

Reaction score
Bob Stuart and Meridian UK launched this last night. Causing much excitement as a revolutionary way of being able to stream Hi Res and compensate for deficiencies in the recording chain. There are reports of the launch on What Hi Fi website as well as Meridian and Hitchhikers Meridian Forum users group.

It sounds a genuinely exciting prospect!

Best post from Hitchhikers.... from "VirusKiiller"

"Back in October, Bob Stuart invited a few of us to HQ to talk about a new technology. Like the ferrets that we were, some Googling turned up the MQA and MQL trademark applications. Further digging revealed a patent (surprised no-one else has found this yet!) describing an encoding+decoding system. Adding other bits and pieces to the jigsaw such as the SE loudspeakers tweeter, “higher bandwidth” analogue electronics, and “DAC management” with other snippets gleaned from chats with Meridian staff at shows and events, we guessed what MQA might be. Yet we were absolutely not prepared for what we were about to hear.

Bob extended the definition of “lossless” audio to include the A2D and D2A processes. Meridian has developed “pipelines” which characterise the actual ADCs used (and additional analogue processing equipment as well). This information is encoded as metadata in the MQA file and, once decoded, can be used to *manage the DACs* (!!!), essentially providing an audibly lossless A2D2A chain.

He then went on to challenge what was meant by "HiRes" audio.

In the last decade, there have been tremendous strides taken in psychoacoustics and, importantly, neuroscience (which has informed the psychoacoustics). The short of it is that the industry has been grossly mistaken about the relative importance of the frequency domain vs. the time domain. Yes, there is the anecdotal evidence that higher sample rates are better, but no-one has ever really articulated why (other than the pre- and post-ringing "naturalness" arguments).

The latest findings, grounded in science, are that, when it comes to human hearing, the time domain is up to 5x more important than the frequency domain. If you hear a twig snap in the woods, you know immediately where it is (time domain); you actually “decode” what it was afterwards (frequency domain). This is evolution at work: hearing is the most important sense for survival: it works when your eyes are shut, when you’re not looking in the relevant direction, and in the dark.

The human hearing system is sensitive to about 10 microseconds in time resolution and here’s the kicker: much/most of this resolution is destroyed in anything encoded digitally below a 192kHz sampling rate.

That’s right: 96kHz is NOT enough.

However, is the public about to download or stream 192/24 audio? No, because it’s not *convenient*. How then to provide audio of the highest quality to the masses? The short of it is that Meridian has found a way of folding the time resolution information into a regular PCM file with a lower sample rate (it’s actually hidden below the noise floor). It’s a stroke of genius and means that MQA files appear to anything other than an MQA decoder as a playable PCM file. But an MQA decoder can "unfold" the file to the original sample rate, adding back the time resolution information.

Another crucial learning from neuroscience is that the brain has three times as many nerves sending signals TO the cochlea than sending information FROM the cochlea to the brain. This is a incredible fact; the brain actively switches the ear’s sensitivity (to frequency) depending on the situation (natural sounds, animal sounds, and speech). The encoding algorithm takes into account these different hearing modes (don’t ask me how!) and the "compression" applied to the master file (which can be anything from a (non-ideal) 44.1/16 master up to 8x sample rate) is not lossy in the conventional sense. There is nothing removed from the file that would allow a human being to differentiate between the MQA encoding and the master as heard in the studio. Lossy? No, that would be an extremely unfair and naive description. "Encoded for human hearing" would be more accurate.

So what is MQA? It stands for “Master Quality Authenticated”. Master Quality because it is able to deliver essentially what the recording artist heard in the studio. Authenticated because the audio data are signed (no, not DRM) so that an MQA decoder can verify the authenticity of the MQA file; that it is intact and as intended when it left the studio, having been signed off by the artist and producer.

MQA has broad music industry backing from execs, artists, and producers. Meridian has been working on it for the past 4-5 years and for the last three years has taken the technology on a roadshow, demonstrating it and working with recording artists and producers. MQA is very much artist endorsed. It is an enabling technology: Meridian isn’t going to be MQA-encoding the whole back catalogue of recorded music; that’s the job of the studios. The first MQA files are expected to be released early in 2015. All of the major studios are on board, plus smaller labels. MQA decoding will not be restricted to Meridian hardware and software.

Given the number of parties involved, it is frankly staggering that this has all come together. That is has is testament to Bob's vision, determination, and no small amount of hard work by him and his team.

Oh, and it sounds more real than you have ever heard. Period. Hearing Louis Armstrong through a pair of 7200SEs – as if he was in the room – was a jaw-dropping moment that I will never forget. It *is* that good.

Postscript: Obviously we couldn’t comment until now, but we are very grateful to Bob, Richard, John, Chris, and the other staff at Meridian for trusting us with this information. On a very poignant note, our trip to HQ was the last time we met with Paul Webb, only a few days before he died. He would have loved to have seen the end of this part of the journey and the beginning of another."

Above post from hitchhikers under tag "Viruskiller"

Absolute Sound link here http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/robert-harley-listens-to-meridian-mqa/

Have fun

Bruce

Agreed. This might be great.

Thanks Gordon and Joey, it does look like a genuine advance. MQA product likely to be available early next year from record companies. New York launch tomorrow I believe or v soon, and expect major demo at CES 2015. I particularly like the idea for streaming 192 downsized to CD file sizes with timing information locked in. I have ordered a Meridian Explorer DAC to check it out!! I have an open mind not being overly knocked out by Hi Res thus far but I've never tried 192!!!

Hm it is definitely NOT going to be mind blowing IMHO. I'd be sceptical of any "this is way better than" claims.

I hope this is good and Meridian Mch sounds good. So far I haven't liked it but want to demo Mch Classical Sacds on it

It can only be better than 192 if the recovered timing information advantage outweighs the data reduction required for them to stream at similar bandwidth to CDs. Both elements are part of the concept. The timing information is locked in and part of the authentication (in MQ Authentication). Meridians latest products are well serious with the full SE set ups achieving meticulous time alignment and awesomely resolved sound reproduction (a much improved as well as very different sound to all earlier Meridian products) The MQA concept fits with this approach.
It is too early to say whether it is or ain't mind blowing. I am interested either way and it is also interesting vis a vis the magic of vinyl ... is it explained at last?

Doug I raised this when I saw your post so you can see what I and others think.
Hi Justin ... Good to poke you into action!! I am not really at odds with your posts on that thread. I have not listened to greater than 96 myself. I am interested to try out a 192 file or two in light of Bob Stuarts assertions (and also the MQA timing authenticated data reduced 192 option). I will see if my human ear can resolve more than the Nyqist formula or not!!! I agree it could be of most relevant to streaming services and Tidal appear to be interested but it's all a bit smoke and mirrors at present in regard to other audio industry partners/ licensees.

I was given a great demo of MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) in the Meridian room at CES. I became a believer. I am a Meridian user having the 861 v6 processor. My processor just happens to be in Atlanta at this time being fitted with the required ID41 Sooloos card to go with the Control 15 server. The card is on backorder so I will get it back later this month. Sometime in the first half of this year Tidal will have MQA streaming and Sooloos will be MQA capable. I'm on board. I have avoided streaming thus far because I didn't like the quality. MQA is a game changer for me. The MQA demo showed me that we will be getting at least CD quality streaming and an unbelievable soundstage on music that is MQA encoded. On this one I'll be an early adapter.

Gary

I have avoided streaming thus far because I didn't like the quality. MQA is a game changer for me. The MQA demo showed me that we will be getting at least CD quality streaming and an unbelievable soundstage on music that is MQA encoded. On this one I'll be an early adapter.

Gary
Yes I caught the CES confirmation of partnership with Tidal and some content forthcoming with MQA. In addition we will be able to get Tidal on Meridian/ Sooloos for convenience and iPad browsing etc. Sounds very promising. I currently use Qobuz as I prefer its look and content. No difference in sound quality at 44.1. I have recently upgraded the input board to my Simaudio Moon 750D with asynchronous USB, much better than before in streamed sources, and also on hires downloads played via Pure Music on my Macbook. I really enjoy the quality of streamed stuff even at 44.1 any improvement through MQA will be a bonus. I have bought a wee Explorer2 DAC ready to try MQA content at home when possible....early adoption too!
Incidentally the ID41 is a considerable step up and uses similar chip to my Moon Hi Res board! Enjoy. ......Any further description of your MQA demo???

I hope to get a listen to this on 5th March as the national Meridian MQA roadshow hits Edinburgh! I shall be in touch. Anyone hear it at CES??

Developments imminent on MQA. There should be interesting announcements and demos at CES very shortly. I also expect Tidal to start streaming as they have been busy on their current catalogue. May also be software from 2l Scandinavian minor record label. Pioneer XD100R and Meridian Explorer DAC will be capable of replay. It's been a very long wait but should soon be able to hear some music! Much work in the background with Studios and labels they say. Hope the wait is worth it, approaching it with an open mind and ready for some A B testing!

I woke up this morning and I thought

You know what, I wish someone would design another audio format, because the world REALLY needs another audio format.

Seriously though - I hope it's good buy I'm yet to hear it. It makes some pretty outrageous claims.........

I woke up this morning and I thought

You know what, I wish someone would design another audio format, because the world REALLY needs another audio format.

Love it!!! Here's wishing more formats in 2016, then :ROFL:

Also agree it will be fascinating to hear if it is science beyond perception... None of the Meridian MQA demos in shops have allowed of A/B comparisons.."because the changes to produce MQA also bring improvement to standard CD replay". Don't understand that one! But some people and reviewers clearly impressed.

If you're really into hi-res why use a format that chucks data away? You're no better than 8 bits at inaudible HF frequencies with this and the local bats are going to be very upset with you. Call yourself an audiophile?

It is designed for bandwidth limitations. Streaming 24/96 or higher will use less bandwidth than streaming decent quality video, though it places further demands on the service provider's hardware I suppose.

Back