(Very) Small Speaker Recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len44

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago a small, inexpensive speaker was mentioned that way outperformed it's size and price. Now that I really need this info, I can't seem to find the thread. I think they were priced under $500.00 -- maybe half that price.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

I'm Not sure about $500.00, but if you could stretch a bit the KEF LS-50 is pretty hard to beat. Stereophile Class A recommended. I've had mine for about 9 months now and am not going to be parting with them. They are quite a bit more at $1500.00, but you can pick them up on AudioGon sometimes for $1200.00.

If you really can't go that much I can recommend the Vanatoo powered speakers with a built in DAC. Just feed them a digital signal and you're all set. You can buy direct on Amazon for $500.00. There are several Audioengine options below your price range as well.

The KEF's are truly awesome though. If you have a chance find a dealer and give them a listen.

Pioneer SB-BS22-LR. List $125. Amazon price $100.

Designed by Andrew Jones / TAD.

Per reviews, an absolutely silly bargain.

GG

One small cheap speaker that used to be very highly rated by TAS was the Paradigm Atom. I don't know if it's still being made.

I've heard both the KEF and the Pioneer. In absolute terms, the KEF is the better speaker, as it should be for ten times the price, though Gordon is absolutely right about the Pioneer being a silly bargain. Haven't heard the Paradigm. Another speaker I'd check out is the Totem Dreamcatcher. Here's the conclusion of the review from stereophile...

"Conclusions. The Totem Dreamcatcher is more than a nearly flawless affordable bookshelf speaker that competes with speakers at triple its price. Never before have I heard a small speaker whose sound was so enticing and intoxicating that it made me want to never stop listening. Of all the speakers I've reviewed in the last 28 years, I have never enjoyed music more through anything else, regardless of price."

Pretty strong recommendation, I'd say.

Here's a link to a pair: http://www.audiolab.com/Totem_Dreamcatcher_2_Way_Bookshelf_Stand_Mounted_p/totdreamcatcher.htm

Last edited:
Hola. Well I am an user of the Motion 4 from Martin Logan. These are a $500.00 and a sub is a must. Once you have them with a sub, the sound is very well balanced and great with detail and space between instruments. Great stage with good sense of realism and size of the musical instruments. The voices are good, and very close to the electrostatic sound, because of their tweeter. This particular tweeter has a diaphragm size of about 8 inches, but weights less than a 1 inch dome tweeter. Moving more air, brings distortion down. Listening is believing. Happy listening!

Wow! Terrific recommendations -- Thanks So Much!

These will be for my son and his intended...so there is a version of WAF to consider. Currently small apartment in Palo Alto (going to law school). He may also need a quality, reasonably-priced amplifier to go with these speakers, and the set-up will not be exclusive to music (at least not until I get them hooked). I think the speaker I had been trying to recall was the Pioneer, but now in addition I will have consider these other very solid recommendations.

Ain't we got fun?

I have owned a pair of light-oak Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1 for six years for the rear surround duty. They sound excellent and look great. You should be able to find them used for $300.

I own a pair of the Pioneer's, (along with the SP-BS41LR). These are terrific little speakers. I have probably sold another 6 pairs or so to family and friends. Highly recommended.

I'm Not sure about $500.00, but if you could stretch a bit the KEF LS-50 is pretty hard to beat. Stereophile Class A recommended. I've had mine for about 9 months now and am not going to be parting with them. They are quite a bit more at $1500.00, but you can pick them up on AudioGon sometimes for $1200.00.

If you really can't go that much I can recommend the Vanatoo powered speakers with a built in DAC. Just feed them a digital signal and you're all set. You can buy direct on Amazon for $500.00. There are several Audioengine options below your price range as well.

The KEF's are truly awesome though. If you have a chance find a dealer and give them a listen.

Hey Tim,
interesting comments on the LS50. the older KEFS from the 90's were always faves of mine (104/2, 105/3, etc) and I kinda felt KEF went downhill a little bit after that.... Seeing your comments about the LS50 and then doing some research has me interested..... and I'm even more interested in the new Reference One... When it's time to downsize, these could be contenders to replace my Summits...

Hey Tim,
interesting comments on the LS50. the older KEFS from the 90's were always faves of mine (104/2, 105/3, etc) and I kinda felt KEF went downhill a little bit after that.... Seeing your comments about the LS50 and then doing some research has me interested..... and I'm even more interested in the new Reference One... When it's time to downsize, these could be contenders to replace my Summits...

Tom, you owe it to yourself to give them a listen. I can't wait to get them into my new room and compare them with my CLS as well as seeing how they do with some real breathing room as well as supporting the foundation with my REL sub. The Uni-Q driver is just phenomenal- the closest thing I've heard to a stat from a dynamic driver. I'm anxious to hear the Ref 1 myself. Very curious to hear what an extra $5,500.00 nets you, but I read some comments from a dealer on another forum who had heard them and he said they were jaw droppingly good.

A few months ago a small, inexpensive speaker was mentioned that way outperformed it's size and price. Now that I really need this info, I can't seem to find the thread. I think they were priced under $500.00 -- maybe half that price.

Can anyone help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Bose Acoustimass 5, available through Amazon USA, priced at $ 400 are great value.

If you have the time give them a listen. Do not think you will be disappointed.

Other suggestions for loudspeakers very good. Let your ears be the judge.

Have fun:music:

Back