ML amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably not, given the corporate nature of M/L , I doubt if it would be all that profitable. Granted, Roger (Sanders) does so, but that is by no means a fair comparison.

Truthfully Bill there are so many great amps out there to satisfy all the individual quirks of God knows how many of us whacko 'audio fools' that I suspect M/L is better off just ……… doing what they do !

I think it would be nice, but would they improve their reputation by having a music "System", like MBL, or would they go down the Bose road....:(. I have no doubt that they know what exactly is needed to drive their speakers, and have the ability to manufacture the components, but I'd bet the profit margins are nowhere near the margins of loudspeakers.

In a way, Roger Sanders has already built the perfect amplifier for ML Speakers. He just doesn't work there anymore...

I would not think that ML itself would build them but maybe the professor could design with input from other ML"ers

I would not think that ML itself would build them but maybe the professor could design with input from other ML"ers
Hola Beek. I think that the team is doing a better friendly product. The behavior and the quality of the sound of ML is improving each year, due to the exhaustive research and design. ML is used by many electronic manufactures as a tool design. The load of any electrostatic speaker is not an easy task. But, also, through all these passed years, we are getting better power amps, that drives incredible good these difficult load.
You have on your hands, a very good amps, and also belong to the technology available...SS, Tube or Digital, can drive this difficult load on these days. And even two decades before.
When you read the specs of ML, they say that at 20KHz, the impedance might be lower that one ohm!...this is almost a short circuit! So, I ask, why do we need this 20KHz, is it because we are not getting enough resolution? Is it, because something is missing in the musical instruments or voices? Can you tell when a piano is playing vs a trumpet? I think that the problem is to be stable at this difficult load. Mr. Haffler, with the vertical CMOs FET transistor did something that we thought it was impossible. If you make a short circuit into the + and - of the speaker terminals, it will make to run in thermal heat, but will not harm the amplifier. Yes, shorting the terminals, and the amp survive to this tremendous nonsense possibility. And this design was in the 80s!. Yes, not all power amps can handle such task. But the amplifier designer had taken a lot of effort and time to design the stability for their power amps with loads like ML, and are singing beautifully. So, back to what I wanted to say is, the ML team is doing their homework. Each product of ML is improving in sound quality, and more friendly use to the power amps.
My 2 cents, Happy listening!

I bet Anthem (sister company of ML) will fine-tune their very good amps to be even more suitable to drive ML speakers.

Latest posts

Back