Waiting on my Theos; my plan for amplification

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalthien

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I've got about 10 more days of waiting before my Theos are delivered. Currently, I've got a pair of Motion 40s on a Pioneer Elite VSX-60. My plan was originally to buy a separate amp to drive the Theos; unfortunately, as soon as I got home from the shop I remembered that the VSX-60 doesn't have pre-outs! I think the VSX-60 is a little underpowered to drive the Theos effectively--moreover, I worry that it'll have some real stability problems driving electrostats.

To give just a basic sense of my use: I do about 60% Movies & TV, 40% Music and the Theos will be paired with a Dynamo 700 Sub (and likely a Motif X center sometime later) which should help relieve *some* of the power load.

As much as I'd love to jump directly into separates, the reality is that my budget just won't support it right now (at least, not with gear that I'm aware of). Finally, this is my second Elite Receiver and I've had problems with both of them so I'm not really considering another.

Ok--with all of that background out of the way, my plan at the moment is to pick up a Marantz SR6009 AVR. It fits my budget, comes from a well-respected brand, and (per a recommendation) will effectively drive my new Theos for the next several months until my budget allows the addition of a dedicated amplifier. I'd love to get some thoughts from folks here:

1. Does this seem like a reasonable plan in general?
  2. Are there other AVRs that people might recommend in this price range?

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks,

So I've got about 10 more days of waiting before my Theos are delivered. Currently, I've got a pair of Motion 40s on a Pioneer Elite VSX-60. My plan was originally to buy a separate amp to drive the Theos; unfortunately, as soon as I got home from the shop I remembered that the VSX-60 doesn't have pre-outs! I think the VSX-60 is a little underpowered to drive the Theos effectively--moreover, I worry that it'll have some real stability problems driving electrostats.

To give just a basic sense of my use: I do about 60% Movies & TV, 40% Music and the Theos will be paired with a Dynamo 700 Sub (and likely a Motif X center sometime later) which should help relieve *some* of the power load.

As much as I'd love to jump directly into separates, the reality is that my budget just won't support it right now (at least, not with gear that I'm aware of). Finally, this is my second Elite Receiver and I've had problems with both of them so I'm not really considering another.

Ok--with all of that background out of the way, my plan at the moment is to pick up a Marantz SR6009 AVR. It fits my budget, comes from a well-respected brand, and (per a recommendation) will effectively drive my new Theos for the next several months until my budget allows the addition of a dedicated amplifier. I'd love to get some thoughts from folks here:

1. Does this seem like a reasonable plan in general?
  2. Are there other AVRs that people might recommend in this price range?

Thanks in advance!

My advice is as follows:

When your Theos arrive, set them up, and clock 100 or more hours on them to get through the initial break in period. When you've completed that, listen critically to how they sound with the AVR you have, so you can set a baseline for sound quality (where ever that lands, makes no difference). After all of that, demo your favorite options for a replacement amplifier, noting any differences in sound quality. Only after you have done all of these things will you be qualified to purchase a new amplifier :).

My point is, there's no use in buying something for your stereo system unless you know it will be an improvement, and that is highly subjective. Recommendations should always very verified with your own ear bones. Even though Agent X likes Component B, you may find it is not to your taste. (Just read some recent Bonzo or Roberto)

Enjoy your new Speaks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back