Upgrading--new to the site!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalthien

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Brian from San Jose, CA. Two years ago, I bought my first ML gear: a pair of Motion 40s, a Motion 8 for a center, and a Dynamo 500 sub. After a recent incident where my 3 year old son pushed over one of the Motion 40s, I decided that it would be best to switch to Electrostats and their "all the weight in the base" design (not to mention that I've wanted to buy a pair for nearly 10 years now). Especially once I really thought about it and realized it could have been even worse than just the (superficial-cabinet only) damage--my 1 year old daughter could have been standing on the other side of a falling 50 lb tower!

Originally, I had my sights set on the ElectroMotion ESLs--the price didn't represent too much of a departure from the Motion 40s I already had. I went and auditioned them and found them to sound somewhat better than my Motion 40s; but, only in a very narrow sweet spot. On a whim, I decided to demo the Theos (actually, since the shop didn't have Theos set up, I demoed a pair of Ethos with their active drivers turned all the way down to get as close as possible). I was totally hooked! To my ears, the difference between the $5000 Ethos panel and the $2500 ESL panel was like night and day. In fact, I demoed a pair of Montis as well (knowing that my budget wasn't going to stretch anywhere near that amount) and I found the difference between the ESL and the Theos to be far greater than between the Theos and Montis.

After a little negotiation--and ML including a Dynamo 700 in their holiday deal--I put my deposit down for my Theos order yesterday! I'm told they'll be here in about 2 weeks and I'm super stoked to finally be getting a real dream pair!

Edit: I also want to say that even before making my purchase and joining this forum, these pages have been very helpful to me! Since I wasn't completely familiar with the Theos vs. Ethos when I was in the store, I found this forum when trying to validate what the salesperson had told me about them having the same panel. When folks here--and the salespeople at the store, all suggested that as long as I was pairing them with a good sub, to save the $2000 by sticking with the Theos, I knew it was the right decision!

Last edited:
Brian, welcome ! ............... sounds like your 'Logan' journey is well on it's way !

Back