NAD M2 paired with Martin Logan Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoian21

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just purchased a pair of Montis, which I totally love by the way, and I also purchased an NAD M2, but i am having a problem with the NAD M2. Based on prior experience, I've established an opinion that their gear is very beefy and solid and provides great performance for the buck. I like the direct digital technology and since the Montis are so revealing I thought that I should match them with an equally revealing amp. The pair does sound great at low volume levels, but once I increase it to about -20dB, which is a moderate level and on 2 occasions the display showed right channel has shorted and the amp shuts down. During my amp selection I was very concered with the Montis' 0.52 ohm impedance and the M2 is listed as having a 2000 damping factor so in theory the output impedance should be extremely low. It also states that it generates up to 27 amps, so it should have enough juice to drive them. I am wondering if I got a bad amp, which i bought used by the way or is the M2 not up to the task.
Does anyone else use the NAD M2 with their MLs and what is their experience? Somone on the forum mentioned a similar experience with an NAD C390DD.
If possible, i'd like to stick to the technology and someone had mentioned a Devialet 200 as a good match but are you aware of any other choices out there? Thanks

I can only speak in 'generalities' here but one thing is for certain, NAD is not the product they once were. Back in the 'day' they were known (as you said) for generous amounts of head room and good build quality. I know of two people personally that have had issues with NAD.

Keep in mind the low imp dip of the M/L's is at such a high freq that it is not likely the real culprit here, rather the stability of the amp as it approaches the lower imp 'zone' combined with the capacitive loading of the electrostatic panel.

Ditch the NAD and get a 'real' amp !

ps - Welcome aboard !

Back