I want to take my system to the next level ,help me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay ,,,here is my 2 week review of by mc501s with my system (clsiiz and jolida music envoy tube preamp and jolida tube cd player along with my Marantz TT15 ) well you guys were all correct ,my speakers needed the power (high current) even though my jolida mono blocks sounded good ,these mac's are incredible !! .Detail is remarkable highs and mids are so real and the bass is the deepest I have ever heard. I played some Frankie ,Dean and Sammy as well as Louis prima and there music sounded as if someone took a blanket off my speakers ,one word :;"alive" look I don't know the technical terms for a review ,but lets just say the mc-501 s took my system to the next level I was looking for !!!!!!. Thanks to all for everyone input and help . now my next purchase like I said before will be a preamp ,but I would love a vintage one ,tube , no need for a tuner (live in the mountains ) but one that will be the most bang for my money (2 channel only ,cd and vinyl ) my budget is 1200.00 any input regarding this purchase will be appreciated ..... happy holidays to all ,harry frm calif

Another satisfied poster! Fattner, in your case, I would check audiogon regularly for a quality vintage Mac tube preamp. I can't tell you the jewels to watch out for as I'm not familiar with that equipment, but a little research should point you in a few directions. Good luck with your search! I just changed my 2-channel system back to all tubes (Conrad Johnson) and couldn't be happier!

Many congrats on the big Mac upgrade. With regards to the pre-amp upgrade, you will need to be patient on this one. Similar to your amp upgrade path, the Jolida preamp is a good piece and it will take a really good one to give the improvement that you're seeking. First, to add some "body" or "tone" to your system, I would suggest to go with preamps utilizing octal tubes like 6SN7: Cary SLP-98p, Rogue Magnum 99 come to mind. Outside of these octal tubes, my first inclination will be to go with McIntosh for system synergy with the big Mac amps. Otherwise, the "normal" list of high-end preamps applies here: ARC, Conrad Johnson, BAT, VAC, etc...
In my experience, the pre-amp upgrade makes just as much of an improvement as the amp upgrade. My photographic analogy is that the amp upgrade is akin to upgrading the camera body (for a better sensor), and the pre-amp is akin to upgrading to a better lens to provide the dynamics and resolution that the camera sensor is capable of.

Best of luck,
Spike

well i really stepped up my system , i purchased all mcintosh gear ! i purchased mac c2300 tube preamp w/ great phono section , i also purchased mac mvp 871 universal player and let me say , wow my clsiiz have never sounded so real to life !! i would love to post pics but dnt know how lol sorry !! thankyou to all that has helped with there imput !! if you would like to see my audio room and equipment ck out audiokarma and go to listening spaces ( fattners audio room ) and mcintosh ( fattners complete mac system , pics are there !! takecare

Last edited:
Congrats on your new mac amps. Glad to hear that mac brings your system to the next level. I started with the MC501 at first then adding few more blocks after few years. You will enjoy your mac system years to come. Happy listening:music:

Latest posts

Back