What ML model is this...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRI

Reaction score
Hi, new member here.

There's an auction next week and I only know them from the second picture on the right. I try to prepare as much as I can but it's quite far away. What to look for? They can't be heared before the auction but prices should be adapted to the circumstances.

IMG_1851.jpgIMG_1850.jpg

Cheers
Thomas

Assuming they have no optical flaws what would you be willing to pay for the ML oder Duettas (in % of the list price)? Lately, someone was selling his well cared for Summits for 50% of the list price. You could even test them before buying what I'll not be able next week.

The speakers on the top left are Apogee Duetta IIs.

Both the MLs and the Apogees may, and I say may, have issues with their panels.

The Duettas contain a hidden gem - magnets. It may well be that they are worth more than the speakers sell for. Rare earth prices have gone up a lot in recent years.

If you can find a restorer the Duettas could be converted to Sigs or even better. See my restoration thread.

Last edited:
Of course, if the prices are right you could buy both sets of speakers, and determine which ones you want to keep after auditioning them.

The look of the speakers, could be the Theos too. In my computer screen, the left speaker looks narrower than the other...so, they could be the right a Spire and the Left a Theos, Vantage or Ethos. Very difficult due to bad pic. Happy listening!

Thanks for the guesses. The quality of the picture leaves it open to guesses but it's all that I have from the auctioner who's not into stereo I believe. The auction is on Wednesday. These speakers and electronics are residuals from a dealer who closed its doors.

Right to the ISOPHON boxes there are smaller magnetostatic speakers I believe.

The electronics are said to be AUDIOMELA, ROMA, CONRAD-JOHNSON, MICROMEDIA, ARCAM
Which would you buy and drive the ML?

Actually, my plan is to buy as much as I can of the speakers and amps. I hope they can store them for me a few days until I can hire a truck. :)

The other magnetostats are Apogee hybrids - Slant 6? Get the Duettas and MLs if you can. I reckon the MLs are better than Vantage - the panel is too wide for Vantage and the woofer position is wrong. I also reckon they are a matched pair.

Save the pics and zoom in for a better idea - that's what I did.

Can't recommend anything from the electronics not enough info but CJ do nice preamps.

Ok, they have been 4 years old Ethos but sold to someone else. I wasn't cheap but couldn't justify the money the other guy bid.

The Apogees went for $300.

Opps edit misunderstood Thomas's PM post modded.

Tom has found another pair by an unofficial restorer in Germany who makes ribbons too. Can't vouch for the quality but he also does ML panels for FAR LESS than ML replacement prices. Search German eBay.

Last edited:
Going UK eBay rate for Duettas is £1650 for originals (last pair sold but usually around there). I sold my last restored pair for £4K. Very well restored though I did pay more than that for them.

My current pair would be around £10k. If you got some built, cos mine are NOT for sale:D.

Last edited:
Wow, as Justin mentioned, the magnets in the Duetta's could be worth 5 or 6 times that amount. Did you end up buying anything?
No, I'm afraid not, I was so disappointed and things went rather quickly so I didn't buy anthing else. Some things have been bargains but a few have been overpriced as well.

If this guy didn't went to $3000 I would have got them for $2000 as we were the last and only bidders above that margin.

Yes, I've see a pair of Duettas for sale which have been restored by the unofficial restorer but I leave it open to your imagination...

I'm not in the hurry to buy new Speakers as a starter for my Project. The ML would have been a nice start but other things are more important now.

Thanks

It's looks as if I get a second chance. I'm not sure about the models of the speakers. The lists contains: MAGNEPLANER, AUDIOSTATIC, CABASSE (u.a. ADRIATIS), APOGEE, SONUS FABER, MONITOR AUDIO, SPENDOR, ISOPHONE, MIRAGE Any hints?
IMG_1922.jpgIMG_1921.jpgIMG_1928.jpg

Today was the second Batch up for auction. I ended up with
- Krell S-300i
- Audiostatic ES-300 RS
- Magneplanar MG-III
- Apogee Caliper Signature
- Magneplanar MG 3.3/R
The magnetostatic peakers went for much less than the dynamic ones. Each pair was around $300. The Krell went for much higher. Transporting them was a little bit of a nightmare but without damage.

Attachments

• K1024_20141217_212639.jpg
    K1024_20141217_212639.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 165
  • K1024_20141217_212650.jpg
    K1024_20141217_212650.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 186
  • K1024_20141217_212658.jpg
    K1024_20141217_212658.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 190

Latest posts

Back