Need advice CLX VS Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CLX is better than the Spire only if you do not intend to use sub with CLX. If you use sub with CLX it will be more or less like the Spire, that is, electrostatic panel and dynamic woofer. The CLX by itself will deliver the purity and unmatched precision in music reproduction guaranteed by the latest electrostatic technology. The CLX has double bass panels which produces adequate bass. Like Roberto says quality is there and some quantity. Depth and extension of subwoofer is missing. The CLX is better than Spire precisely because it does not have a dynamic woofer and one electrostatic technology produces the entire spectrum of sound. Except for perhaps the lowest octave. I would go so far to say that the CLX may be better than the 3 times expensive Neolith, just because it is one technology that is electrostatic technology. And not an amalgam of electrostatic and dynamic.
Just my two cents.
Have Fun!

The CLX is better than the Spire only if you do not intend to use sub with CLX. If you use sub with CLX it will be more or less like the Spire, that is, electrostatic panel and dynamic woofer. The CLX by itself will deliver the purity and unmatched precision in music reproduction guaranteed by the latest electrostatic technology. The CLX has double bass panels which produces adequate bass. Like Roberto says quality is there and some quantity. Depth and extension of subwoofer is missing. The CLX is better than Spire precisely because it does not have a dynamic woofer and one electrostatic technology produces the entire spectrum of sound. Except for perhaps the lowest octave. I would go so far to say that the CLX may be better than the 3 times expensive Neolith, just because it is one technology that is electrostatic technology. And not an amalgam of electrostatic and dynamic.
Just my two cents.
Have Fun!

Just your last 2 sentences have really captured my excitement, have you heard the neolith? and you still think the clx art is better?

I have heard Aerius, SL3, CLS, Quest from the previous generation and Electromotion and Theos from the next generation of loudspeakers. Unfortunately have not listened to Spire, CLX or Neolith. My opinion was based on what I have heard and what I have not heard but read about. I know from listening to the previous generation that integrating electrostatic and dynamic technology was not perfect. The new generation is an improvement in this regard. But still a difference can be heard.

Based on what I have read I know that CLX is one of the finest speakers available in the audio market.
If you use it with care it should give you great performance for at least two decades if not more.

Someone who has listened to Spire, CLX and Neolith, their words will carry more weight on comparing these loudspeakers than mine. Since I have not listened to them.

Hope I have answered your question.

Have Fun!

About the Neolith, my dear friend, Peter Soderberg said to me: Roberto, they are for the bigger and expensive leagues. The crossover built inside are top quality components and its design challenges the Wilson. The materials of the cabinet, and quality of all the components, makes the Neolith to be one of the best speakers of the world, regardless of price. I asked him regarding the retail price, and his response was: Far, far more expensive then the CLXs. We are presenting to the world, a special high-end product! Happy listening!

fusion2007
I will definitely do 10ft ceilings. The room is 20-22 feet wide and 16ft long. i was thinking for the speakers to be on the 20-22ft wall side,but you guys say its better to be on the 16ft wall side?. will it make that big of a difference?

I think you'll need to try both directions to find our which you prefer. For me having 4'-6' more in room length allows speakers to have more room behind them and more room behind your listening position.

With 16' front to back speakers 5' off the wall and your seat 4' off the wall you're 7' from your speakers which is a bit close ( for me anyway).

Kind of a pain to move everything and get it set up perfectly and then move it but you'll always wonder if you don't.

Thank you to everyone for your help and adive. It was very helpful.
I just got the CLX Art delivered. Im going to set them up this weekend!!!

Good choice! Take your time setting up and optimizing placement, we are really talking about mm and degrees of angle in here...

Hi fusion2007,
You've been seeking advice on setting up your new room dimensions along with speaker placements along short or long walls. I had this same question about a year ago when I started designing my retirement/dream home and came to a final conclusion by implementing an 18'w x 25'l x 10'high (with 3/4 of height in a vaulted 14' ceiling height configuration). This was based on finding several optimum room acoustic calculators on line and most notably the implementation of a "Cardas Golden Cuboid Listening Room". The Cardas recommendation is 16' x 26' x 10'h. At the following link you'll see twelve different calculators including what distances to place speakers (and subs) from outside and back walls. I'm a retired CPA so I can't vouch for these claims but have/will base my speaker placements based on these as the house is now through insulation with drywall to begin next week. We'll see (or rather hear) in March when I try to implement their recommendations. link http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

Last edited:
Congrats! We love pictures here.

Thanks,I absolutely will, when the room is done, it will look awesome. Ill post the temporary setup soon.

Good choice! Take your time setting up and optimizing placement, we are really talking about mm and degrees of angle in here...

Oh I will, i have a feeling this will be a long process in finding the best ideal placement for them not to mention painstaking work it will take to achieve near the perfect spot. I need to get some tools...lol

Now, we are not in the same boat, we are in the same luxury yacht! Good choice! Happy listening.

haha,thanks. these are just phenominal, its....a whole different experience.

Hi fusion2007,
You've been seeking advice on setting up your new room dimensions along with speaker placements along short or long walls. I had this same question about a year ago when I started designing my retirement/dream home and came to a final conclusion by implementing an 18'w x 25'l x 10'high (with 3/4 of height in a vaulted 14' ceiling height configuration). This was based on finding several optimum room acoustic calculators on line and most notably the implementation of a "Cardas Golden Cuboid Listening Room". The Cardas recommendation is 16' x 26' x 10'h. At the following link you'll see twelve different calculators including what distances to place speakers (and subs) from outside and back walls. I'm a retired CPA so I can't vouch for these claims but have/will base my speaker placements based on these as the house is now through insulation with drywall to begin next week. We'll see (or rather hear) in March when I try to implement their recommendations. link http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php
that is gold!! That is very helpful, my demensions are very close to what you have. I really appreciate the link. How did your setup sound after using these guides?

Latest posts

Back