Motion 40's - Setup recommendation?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TL24

Reaction score
What's going on guys, I'm a new Martin Logan Motion 40 owner and I absolutely love them! Best speakers I've ever had in my life!

Here's my question though, I'm currently running them through my Pioneer Elite SC-71 using AudioQuest Rocket 33's split for bi-amping and I was wondering what you guys have your set to right now in the av setup? Do you guys have them set to SMALL or LARGE? I've tried both and honestly they sound best when set to SMALL with a crossover of 80 Hz to my Subwoofer, when I do that the highs are tight and crips, when set to LARGE they do not sound as crisp as I'd like them to.

Any inputs?

Last edited:
Hola. I have a question. when you use full range, (large) no matter what level volume you are (SPL), do you have the same sound problem? Just thinking loud, you might be collapsing (clipping) the power amps at the receiver, and the speakers are showing to you it. When you take off the low frequency information, they sound crystal clear, right? This might be telling you something. If the speakers are not working properly, no matter what crossover point you are using, their behavior should be the same. This is not your case. When you are taking off the lows, they sound great!. The signal that they are receiving is not clear when are at large. Happy listening!

Hola. I have a question. when you use full range, (large) no matter what level volume you are (SPL), do you have the same sound problem? Just thinking loud, you might be collapsing (clipping) the power amps at the receiver, and the speakers are showing to you it. When you take off the low frequency information, they sound crystal clear, right? This might be telling you something. If the speakers are not working properly, no matter what crossover point you are using, their behavior should be the same. This is not your case. When you are taking off the lows, they sound great!. The signal that they are receiving is not clear when are at large. Happy listening!

Interesting, thanks for the reply Roberto! I'm thinking it has to be with the wiring on the receiver level then, I will play around with it again tonight and report back, I just wasn't sure what you all have your Motion 40's set to for the best possible performance.

Thanks again sir!

Hola TL24...you did not answer my question. It is important to know if the bad performance of the 40s is at all levels, when they are at large set. (SPL) Reading you, it looks that when the sub is taking all the low frequency info, your Motions start to sing clear and stable. You are taking off all the low frequency from the front power amps, making them to be more cleaner (less clipping) and driving the Motions better and cleaner. Usually, the lows take a lot of the steam and juice from the power amps. Happy listening!.

Hola TL24...you did not answer my question. It is important to know if the bad performance of the 40s is at all levels, when they are at large set. (SPL) Reading you, it looks that when the sub is taking all the low frequency info, your Motions start to sing clear and stable. You are taking off all the low frequency from the front power amps, making them to be more cleaner (less clipping) and driving the Motions better and cleaner. Usually, the lows take a lot of the steam and juice from the power amps. Happy listening!.

Honestly I'm not sure at this moment without performing additional testing later on tonight when I get home from work. It does however, make perfect sense that the Motion 40's would come alive if the low frequencies are driven to the Subwoofer instead of the Motion 40's. I guess I'm disappointing as I thought the Motion 40's would be more than capable of handling the bi-amping effects from the SC-71 - unless of course I need an additional amp to drive them separately? The SC-71 should be more than capable in driving two Motion 40's bi-amped though, at least that's what I think based on the specs of the receiver.

All I want to say, it is, that you are the only person who had complaint regarding the low performance of the Motions 40 at low frequencies. Your Pioneer receiver, to me, is the culprit, not the 40s. With much respect, your problem is telling me that your Pioneer is not handling them as they should. Please do all the tests, and please let us know how did they go! Happy listening!

Back