New to ML, coming from Paradigms

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmullaly

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title says I'm new to Martin Logans. I just setup my Stage center and Theos mains yesterday. They replaced a Paradigm center as well as Paradigm Studio 100 V2s.
I am very tight on placement and I mean very tight. They are about 8 feet apart and flank my projector screen. My problem is the room is small and have no room in back of or on either side of the speakers.
I have them only about 6 inches from the back and 6 inches on the side. I know, far from ideal.

But, they sound great as is.
My question has to do with sound treatment. I'm considering getting two 12"X48X"2" panels for the back wall right behind each main and one 12"x36"X2" panel to go right behind the center.

I don't want totally dead room, I prefer a little life.
The sales guy from Magnolia said that if I'm happy the way they sound , I should leave well enough alone.

What do you guys think?

The cost of panels is negligible, but I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Welcome aboard and congrats on the move to ML.

with such little room to breathe, I would definitely treat the back wall to break up that rear wave. They will sound MUCH better. Can you put something else behind them temporarily to experiment with how the sound changes before you spend the $$ on panels?

Yep, I was planning on temporarily hanging some blankets on the wall behind the speakers to simulate an acoustic panel.
I'm going away this weekend and I'm going to run a pink noise track from the Avia DVD on infinite repeat, hoping to break them in while I'm away.

Welcome and as Tom says do some experimenting before you spend more $$. Also do 'whatever' you can to allow them to breath

I partially broke in my speakers by playing a repetitive pink noise track over the weekend while I was away. Closet to 50 straight hours and the results were very noticeable.
I was never a true believer in break-in periods, but I am now. They sound so much better !!

One more question, should I run Audyssey now or wait until there are some more hours on the speakers. Of course I'll be re-running Audyssey again after I get my acoustic panels, but that will be a little later on.

One more question, should I run Audyssey now or wait until there are some more hours on the speakers. Of course I'll be re-running Audyssey again after I get my acoustic panels, but that will be a little later on.

Make sure to check out GIK acoustics online. They make a great product.

Back