Neolith North American Tour

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least some people over at AVS were at the Neolith demo:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...ogan-demonstrates-neolith-speaker-system.html

Read it and enjoy.

Gary

What the AVSforum guy says in his first post makes complete sense to me. If I had 80k, I would but JonFo's room. For me, Height speakers with Atmos/Auro and good sub augmentation will blow out any high end stereo set up, especially the Neolith which based on my brief demo at Munich is worth 30k tops. Obviously in a Mch set up you could add the speakers of your choice, and there is one guy in Boston who has 5 Soundlabs in his Mch, but I won't be surprised if Prodigy's, vantages, EM EFx etc combine with a Descent or JL sub and a Datasat/Trinnov processor to produce a more realistic sound, especially for classical and rock.

I have never been more happier listening to choral and full symphony than on the Datasat Auro system I tried, and the speaker set up in the used market would have cost 10 - 15k. My next 3 - 4 months I will be auditioning to check if a 5 channel Quad set up, a 5 channel Logan hybrid set up, and similar Focal and Linn set ups can outdo high end stereo on classical music.

I think there are a few Mch systems on this forum, and the guys keep relatively quiet. There seems to be one in Barbados with Statements, and jshowalter has one with CLXs and Summits. Jonfo's Atmos system might end up being the best on earth when he pulls it off, and will cost much less than a Neolith.

Too bad, no tour near Dallas.

*Sigh*... this is like a hifi wasteland.

I think there are a few Mch systems on this forum, and the guys keep relatively quiet.

I use CLX's with Prodigys in a 7.1 system through a Meridian 861 v6 processor. I am considering the Neoliths with CLX sides and Prodigy rears. I use 4 subs (2 Velodyne DD 18's and 2 ML Descents) so the thin bass described on AVS will be overcome.

Gary

Last edited:
2x agree that just because it's low end cap is 24Hz really means next to nothing. It's still clearly full range. Also, it's not just the low end frequency spec, but HOW it reproduces at the frequency extremes. I would think with the bass drivers, the impact should be quite impressive.

Not that the Neos wouldn't be impressive, but if I had 80K please ship me the TAD Reference Ones! :cool:

I use CLX's with Prodigys in a 7.1 system through a Meridian 861 v6 processor. I am considering the Neoliths with CLX sides and Prodigy rears. I use 4 subs (2 Velodyne DD 18's and 2 ML Descents) so the thin bass described on AVS will be overcome.

Gary

Just wow. I will pay you a visit when it's all set up. Do you have a center channel

Do you give credit to the Neolith being able to go lower than the SummitX without all the kruddy digital manipulation, processing and amplification required to get the SummitX to do that from its puny box?

No, I don't. First of all, I haven't seen any info on the Neolith to suggest they don't do the same types of processing and digital manipulation of the signal that they do with the Summit. And I'm not really sure how internal vs external amplification is relevant. How would an internal amp make the Summits go lower than an external amp for the Neoliths? Makes no sense.

bonzo; said:
especially the Neolith which based on my brief demo at Munich is worth 30k tops.

I haven't auditioned them, but that is the same general feeling I have had towards the real value of these speakers since they were announced. Nothing I have learned since has changed my opinion. There is just too much great competition at these lower price levels. I'll be surprised if they sell more than a handful of these speakers.

No they'll sell some Rich. Placed alongside other silly money speakers they don't do too badly.

Plenty of people with a lot more money than you or I.

Justin,

I have to wonder how many ML dealers will actually have them in a showroom for demonstration.

But then I recognize that there will be some wealthy folks who will buy regardless of actually being able to see / hear them.

Gordon

No, I don't. First of all, I haven't seen any info on the Neolith to suggest they don't do the same types of processing and digital manipulation of the signal that they do with the Summit. And I'm not really sure how internal vs external amplification is relevant. How would an internal amp make the Summits go lower than an external amp for the Neoliths? Makes no sense.

I'm not talking about "go lower". I'm talking about quality. The quality of amplification you can put on a Neolith is generally orders of magnitude better than those cheap IcePower cards in the Summit.

I'm a bit perplexed - you abhor that ML don't produce a true high-end speaker, and then when they do you abhor the product as well?

I haven't heard it, but the Neolith is aiming to be true high-end.

If you demand the absolute best performance, then at this price point, you've got to expect some level of diminishing returns. If you want the best bang for buck, stick with your Summits. But if you value the absolute best quality ML is possible of producing, the Neolith is what you need to get. That's the price you've got to pay for that level of performance.

Until I've compared the Neolith to similarly priced offerings from other companies, I can't really call whether it is good value or not. But I certainly wouldn't judge it by a single specification on low-end extension.

Last edited:
Justin,

I have to wonder how many ML dealers will actually have them in a showroom for demonstration.

But then I recognize that there will be some wealthy folks who will buy regardless of actually being able to see / hear them.

Gordon

Good point = not many dealers will stock them. At this price point though the % of home sales may not be as high as the export market. China, Europe and the Middle East may account for the bulk. Just guessing, though.

Good point = not many dealers will stock them. At this price point though the % of home sales may not be as high as the export market. China, Europe and the Middle East may account for the bulk. Just guessing, though.

Should be better than Bose surely

Adam makes a valid point on going low enough being not the requirement, given 100 Hz plus is where stereo speakers differentiate themselves a lot. 25 Hz is sufficient, before that you need a whole system, and if there is sometimes like Gary who can add the Neolith to a system it makes much more sense than spending that money on stereo speakers alone. That said, at this price point they should have enabled them to driven by SET amps, so high sensitivity

Yes, Adam did say it very well. And yes, they will sell some. So far I have read nothing to deter me from purchasing a pair. When I asked some of the ML guys why they didn't push for an extra 3 dB worth of bass they poked fun at my complaining about so little. They said the 23 Hz was measured open air (no walls) and that users would see a lower extension that was better. My question was posed not for me but for them. You read the 20 Hz bottom end for human hearing range all the time and the next thing you read on the internet is that these speakers are inadequate because the bass isn't there. NONSENSE. Adam uses Vistas which are good to 43 Hz (hey that's better than my CLX's) but his system with sub integrated is good down to 18 Hz! Honestly I was hoping for better published results but that was more for bragging rights than reality. When I saw the first pictures I started to dream about the possibility of incorporating the Neoliths 15 inch speaker all the way to the bottom in my system. Now it seems more likely that they will get cut off at 80 Hz with the others but who knows. As for price and value, you are well into diminishing returns so it is what it is.

To the sales and production crew at ML. Make mine piano black or whatever you call that and make sure Dana approves the final quality.

Gary

Good on you Gary. They are fantastic speakers. Enjoy.

Complaints are merely the provenance of those that can't afford them.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that the Neolith's will be at our showroom for the midwest unveiling on December 18th. Personnel from Martin Logan will be on hand to answer any questions. The event is from 3-8pm. We are located across the street from the Oakbrook mall.

Back