Spouse approval

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just act like I don't understand what is so unreasonable about the unreasonable thing I'm in the process of doing.

Carrie says: " Usually, when you're doing something unreasonable or ridiculous, it has nothing to do with me. If it doesn't work out, it's your problem, not mine."

She feels for you, Joey. She would definitely OK the new Speaks.

I just act like I don't understand what is so unreasonable about the unreasonable thing I'm in the process of doing.

Carrie says: " Usually, when you're doing something unreasonable or ridiculous, it has nothing to do with me. If it doesn't work out, it's your problem, not mine."

She feels for you, Joey. She would definitely OK the new Speaks.

I think you are right Julian, I think she will ok the speakers (and the source). I have cleared it with her in the past, I usually get a roll of the eyes, but never a no. So I took that as a yes... right, that's a yes!

Now that I am about to enter negotiations with a guy who has a local Stradivari, everything just got real and the money just got real.... for the first time, my hobby was called weird and odd that I needed 20-40,000$ speakers when I'm not a musician.

I told her that's my hobby and I have always enjoyed it and I even went on a hiatus when my life was just too hectic to accommodate audiophilia.

I think she got sticker shock... I think she's afraid that this will set me on a path of collapse.

But in the end, you're right julian, she will ok the speaks.

I feel bad for you guys that choose to live with this. I know I certainly couldn't/wouldn't...that's not living IMO. My wife has known that this hobby was around before she was. In fact, when we dated she knew it. She supports it just like I support her crazy ass swimming pool fascination, house, purses, watches, clothes, jewelry & cars. At the end of the day, we're both happy!

I didn't expect this - but I am actually facing some difficulty with the approval of this speaker purchase. I know we joke around but this is no joke.

I figured that since my wife who dated me when I had my Summit system knew that this was inevitable. I mean she must have figured that something was coming after I purchased the preamp and the amp.

Any of you guys still get trouble and flack for new equipment?

I'm working on getting approval... She thinks it is a waste of finances.

Welcome to the difference between dating and marriage. I've been happily married for 18 years and I pretty much buy what I want and can afford though I'm not now, nor have I ever been a great upgrader. I tend to keep systems for a long time with only incremental changes to the system. That said, I would never make a purchase w/o telling my wife I'm doing so. We also maintain separate funds except for house money. Don't set this precedent so early in the marriage, you'll grow to regret it. YMMV

Welcome to the difference between dating and marriage. I've been happily married for 18 years and I pretty much buy what I want and can afford though I'm not now, nor have I ever been a great upgrader. I tend to keep systems for a long time with only incremental changes to the system. That said, I would never make a purchase w/o telling my wife I'm doing so. We also maintain separate funds except for house money. Don't set this precedent so early in the marriage, you'll grow to regret it. YMMV

Yeah.. I did that once. Bought my car one day. Lol... Didn't hear the end of it for days.

Back