Do any of you collect art?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Does anyone here collect art pieces specifically as an investment?

If so, how do you learn more about it and are there forums that you'd recommend for it?

image.jpgJoey, I don't collect art as an investment; I have a few prints that are worth the price of a set of cheap cables.

However, here is a piece I would love to get. It's an acrylic sculpture of Beethoven, called "Appassionata" after one of his piano sonatas. It also has faces of women that move as you do. It's an incredible piece....$10,000! I saw it at an art gallery in Carmel, California. Wish I could go out and buy it; I'm a big fan of Beethoven.

The artist also did a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:
Does anyone here collect art pieces specifically as an investment?

If so, how do you learn more about it and are there forums that you'd recommend for it?

I do not collect art as an investment. Only have two Pakistani artist original paintings the rest are duplicates bought from museums situated in Austria.

The mathematics of finance involved is very basic. Just buy university level introductory business mathematics text. Read and understand the chapters on mathematics of finance. There will be 2 or 3 chapters at the most on this topic. And really the first or first two chapters is all you need to understand to make sound single amount investment decisions.

I do not know of any forum, therefore no recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
We as a group share a lot of hobbies, but I can't say I share this one.

Art as an investment can be very fickle.

I had an Uncle whose name was 'Art' ………...

Buy only art that pleases you. Go to museums and gallery shows to learn and refine your taste. Pay attention to the work of local artists. Many of them are very good and their work can be had at a reasonable price.
The big-time art market is highly manipulated and subject to wild fluctuations as fashions come and go. The lottery would be a better investment.

Buy only art that pleases you. Go to museums and gallery shows to learn and refine your taste. Pay attention to the work of local artists. Many of them are very good and their work can be had at a reasonable price.
The big-time art market is highly manipulated and subject to wild fluctuations as fashions come and go. The lottery would be a better investment.

Definitely true. If you could find a price chart of Peter Max over the last 10 years, it would look like a roller coaster. I suspect Peter Lik is going to follow that trend. I like both of them, though.

Reason I ask is there is this piece by Michael moebius and it is called pink bubblegum. It's an interesting piece and apparently it is quite popular. It's more like pop art - and I have a spot for it at home. I don't mind buying it if it holds value. Rather see art than numbers in the bank.

Reason I ask is there is this piece by Michael moebius and it is called pink bubblegum. It's an interesting piece and apparently it is quite popular. It's more like pop art - and I have a spot for it at home. I don't mind buying it if it holds value. Rather see art than numbers in the bank.

I am not familiar with him, but googling him shows very little of his stuff for sale except for a lot of posters. It would probably be hard to get your money back. I treat most artists that are not huge names like local no names: I buy it because I like it on the wall somewhere and don't expect to get anything back.

Don't get taken in by artspeak. At the National Gallery here a painting by some famous guy consisting of three vertical stripes was purchased for $2.1M. I can't remember the gobbledygook used to describe it, but it was called "Voice of Fire."

Joey, if you don't like to see numbers in the bank, send me the cash.....I have no problem with seeing numbers in the bank!

Amey01 by fickle do you mean volatile or risky investment as reflected in the rate of return used to value now the single amount art investment.

Yes I do. And it is highly susceptible to changes in the economy, fashion, etc.

Collect art by all means, but to do so solely for investment purposes is a bigger risk than I am willing to take.

Don't get taken in by artspeak. At the National Gallery here a painting by some famous guy consisting of three vertical stripes was purchased for $2.1M. I can't remember the gobbledygook used to describe it, but it was called "Voice of Fire."

Joey, if you don't like to see numbers in the bank, send me the cash.....I have no problem with seeing numbers in the bank!

Hahahah... Ok ok... Numbers in the bank are nice too...

Hi Joey_V,

A recommendation for a superb text on "Capital Budgeting and Long-Term Financing Decisions".

Authors are Neil Seitz and Mitch Ellison. Published by Thomson South-Western.
ISBN 0-324-25808-9

This text was recommended for one of the MBA finance courses. Though to understand a background in finance and business is required. If you have this background then this book explains clearly and in simple language investment concepts. I found this text to be very effective in independently learning investment concepts.

Have fun!

Thanks M! Will keep this in my back pocket.
Hi Joey_V,

A recommendation for a superb text on "Capital Budgeting and Long-Term Financing Decisions".

Authors are Neil Seitz and Mitch Ellison. Published by Thomson South-Western.
ISBN 0-324-25808-9

This text was recommended for one of the MBA finance courses. Though to understand a background in finance and business is required. If you have this background then this book explains clearly and in simple language investment concepts. I found this text to be very effective in independently learning investment concepts.

Have fun!

I have a small collection of recorded music :ROFL:

Latest posts

Back