A new age of fear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Maybe it's me but I sense that a certain party is again promoting fear as an agenda.

The most recent examples being Ebola and ISIS.

And then there's the old reliables being the economy, the national debt and the ACA. The latter three, from what I've been reading, have been getting better regarding unemployment figures, jobs created on a monthly basis, and a lowering of the national debt due, in part, to the ACA. We also seem to be making progress on becoming energy dependent to the point there has been discussion about "exporting" this precious commodity.

Am I missing something or are we, the public, being manipulated again by the national press?

Seems it's more difficult than ever to determine what's truth and what's political, brain washing propaganda.

Thoughts, comments appreciated and, as always, respectful discourse.

GG

I agree, Gordon. Unfortunately, too many politicians regularly employ distraction techniques, aided and abetted by the 'independent press', so that we don't ask uncomfortable questions.

Ah yes the scare mongering Republicans on Ebola. While nurses following CDC protocol were infected and then accused by the dems of "Breaking protocol". As a nuclear chemist who has worn full protective gear I was truly appalled when I saw the CDC's protective dress instructions. Then the head of the CDC stupidly defended a very poor procedure. Arrogance! Peoples lives were needlessly put at risk. The CDC now has improved the protocal. A Czar has been put in but who did they choose? A knowledgable individual? No,no The President chose a political hack.

Gary

Last edited:
Scare mongering by a certain party. In North Carolina the Dems ran an ad with a picture of two African American youngsters holding signs that said "Don't Shoot". The caption said something like "If you don't want Ferguson in NC vote Democrat.

Gary

Scare mongering by a certain party. In Colorado Democrat senator Mark Udall has made his campaign largely based on a trumped up scare mongering "War on Women". So much so that he is being called "Mark Uterus". Judging by the polls it looks like Udall is going down.

Gary

Gordon,

I could go on and hammer on the Dems but then if I look right and left and I dig through history I see politics is filled with this junk. If you watch Fox News you will start to believe all dems are Communists. If you watch CNBC you will think Repulicans just want to protect those evil rich people and evil corporations. So I Watch CSPAN and aljazera America yes that's right Aljazera America.

Gary

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but I sense that a certain party is again promoting fear as an agenda.

The most recent examples being Ebola and ISIS.

And then there's the old reliables being the economy, the national debt and the ACA. The latter three, from what I've been reading, have been getting better regarding unemployment figures, jobs created on a monthly basis, and a lowering of the national debt due, in part, to the ACA. We also seem to be making progress on becoming energy dependent to the point there has been discussion about "exporting" this precious commodity.

Am I missing something or are we, the public, being manipulated again by the national press?

Seems it's more difficult than ever to determine what's truth and what's political, brain washing propaganda.

Thoughts, comments appreciated and, as always, respectful discourse.

GG

Hi Gordon.

Do you mean becoming energy independent and not energy dependent?

Being energy independent involves sufficiency, though finite, in natural resource fuels, such as oil, gas and coal and ability to self manufacture equipment to extract these resources. Required to know how to generate and transmit energy to businesses and households using man made power plants and infrastructure.

North America unlike most regions in the world is lucky to have not only natural resource fuels but also the financial, physical and human capital to generate energy from them.

I have not given this part much thought. However most of the rest of the world has either the natural resources or the know how, but not both like North Amercia.

Conclusion:
Looking towards the future I think it would be a wise step for all nations to conserve on natural resources since they are finite. And use human and financial capital to make feasible and cost effective renewable sources of energy like solar and wind. Though nuclear energy is not without virtue I do not like the waste disposal part. Harms and pollutes the environment like coal, gas and oil through usage do. We do not live only once in the sense our children and so on will live on and it is our responsibility to leave the glass of water full rather than empty for them. It is imperative to conserve now, even though you can spend, for the sake of future generations and life on planet Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon,

So I Watch CSPAN and aljazera America yes that's right Aljazera America.

Gary

Gary,

Have heard good things about the later. Want to check out further.

Thanks for the input.

And yes, I meant independent. Ooops.

Gordon

I agree with Gary that Aljazera America is more comprehensive in its reporting and less politically jaded. However, when it comes to fear mongering between the parties, it's not even close. We know which party is really the fear mongering party.

However, when it comes to fear mongering between the parties, it's not even close. We know which party is really the fear mongering party.

man, talk about fear…….phone rang this afternoon, Bill Clinton was on the other end ……….. I thought halloween was last week ! Thank the Lord Election day is over tomorrow.

man, talk about fear…….phone rang this afternoon, Bill Clinton was on the other end ……….. I thought halloween was last week ! Thank the Lord Election day is over tomorrow.

In my best Bill Clinton voice, "I feel your pain". I voted last week at the local grocery store. Did my duty and wish more Americans would vote.

Agreed Dave.

The irony is that it will not change one damn thing regardless of the results.

Gordon

Agreed Dave.

The irony is that it will not change one damn thing regardless of the results.

Gordon

Gordon, I'm afraid you're probably right, but regardless, I'll cast my ballot after the morning workout and coffee with the 'ole farts ………...

I guess the 'fear mongering' by the republicans worked a bit better than the race baiting and sexism that was being pushed by the democrats. :)

Back