Overdone Room Treatment ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I saw this picture on canuckaudiomart.com. I can't help but think that the room treatment is overdone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 128
Speaking of which I gotta start doing my room.

Good reminder. Maybe I'll put bass traps between me and the speaker.

and with all that I see no drapes on the window…………BTW Bernard, how are things up in Ottawa ?

and with all that I see no drapes on the window…………BTW Bernard, how are things up in Ottawa ?
Hi Dave. Things have settled down. There was real panic for a while. It was strange to see on TV armed cops running down the streets of Ottawa. They asked people to stay away from the downtown core. I'm in the suburbs, so it didn't touch me.

It looks to me like the drapes are just drawn to the window sides. I notice the treatments appear to cover different frequencies, due to their various sizes. They look like they are all absorbers, but that can be deceiving, as some companies make diffusers that look like the typical absorbing panels and traps. I wouldn't venture to assume whether there is too much treatment without hearing the resulting sound or seeing the rest of the environment. Hell, I've got six bass traps in my listening space and have phenomenal bass, IMO. I tried eight, but that was too much, as was easily heard by the bass becoming too loud and one dimensional (thumpy, one note).

It's of course impossible to say just by looking at photo. Looks more like reasonably effective wideband absorbtion but for accurate analysis we should know the room acoustics and properties of the acoustic elements used.
Treatments seem to cover still rather small procentage of the room surface area but then again many people think about curtains and carpets when talking about acoustic treatment :rolleyes:

While visually imposing, this might not be overdone at all from a room tuning perspective. With a hardwood floor, I'm guessing this room was pretty 'live' without treatments, so taming that takes some effort, plus the dimensions might be creating bass-frequency modes that require significant trapping.

It can take a surprising amount of treatment to achieve a smooth, even in-room frequency response and soundfield. A few bass traps in a corner or two always help, but are rarely enough.

If you want to point at a room with lots and lots of treatment, feel free to point at mine ;) It has over 45 commercial units plus two 14' long custom units. And I'm not done yet, the ceiling still needs a bit more attention, which it will get when I install the four height speakers for my Atmos setup.

When treating a room, acoustic measurements are the only way to determine if its 'overdone' or not.

A lot of judgments reached from one picture. The listening end of the room may be quite spartan and thus lively, there may be many nodes addressed by the treatments, etc. My point is we can't know ANYTHING about the sound of this room from a picture. As for the drapes, maybe they would make the sound overdamped and thus they are not used?

Latest posts

Back