Movies that should be seen on the BIG Screen

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
This thread, if you choose to accept it, will be dedicated to current and upcoming movies that are worth seeing on the big screen. Please post links to trailers if possible.

First up we have the movie "Fury". I watched this movie in the Cineplex Odeon Coquitlam theatre, in the AVX theatre. I had no idea what the movie was about as it was an invite and no details were given (a great way to see a movie, I think). I left the theatre 2 hours later absolutely stunned, and remained that way for a number of hours afterward. Trailer is below:

Last edited:
Yeah, some friends and I will be seeing it this evening, Julian.

On the horizon:
John Wick
Big Hero 6
Interstellar
Hobbit, Battle of the Five Armies (maybe!)

I didn't want to get too post happy, Ken, but Interstellar was going to be my next recommendation. Looks great. Matthew McConaughey seems to be the new go to guy for drama. Who would have thought, hey? Have fun!

All in all, a pretty good movie. The tank crew perspective was fascinating and the battle scenes so intense I was on the edge of my seat. All of the horror and chaos and brutality of war on full display, so not for kids or the squeamish. Pitt et al did a fine job and I thought the the appropriately dark cinematography was terrific.

Grim factoid: During WWII, allied tank crew life expectancy was six weeks.

Meanwhile, new for today:

This is gonna be mindblowing.

Last edited:
I watch at least one movie a week in the cinema. Didn't like Fury, left after an hour. I normally give movies an hour before walking out. Do it plenty. I have struggled to like most Hollywood over the last couple of years, maybe something to do with my interest moving to hifi and now concerts. I did like Boyhood, but not for big screen. And I am no Linklater fan, didn't like the Sunrise/Sunset, though loved the School of Rock. That said, if you put up an Auro 3d or Atmos system, you don't need to go to the cinema.

I watch at least one movie a week in the cinema. Didn't like Fury, left after an hour. I normally give movies an hour before walking out. Do it plenty. I have struggled to like most Hollywood over the last couple of years, maybe something to do with my interest moving to hifi and now concerts. I did like Boyhood, but not for big screen. And I am no Linklater fan, didn't like the Sunrise/Sunset, though loved the School of Rock. That said, if you put up an Auro 3d or Atmos system, you don't need to go to the cinema.

Don't you find that walking out halfway through a movie only grants you half of the story, leaving you with an incomplete view of the subject matter? If you're an exceedingly busy person, I suppose that I could understand saving the time... I have to ask, though... Why bother going in the first place?

Don't you find that walking out halfway through a movie only grants you half of the story, leaving you with an incomplete view of the subject matter? If you're an exceedingly busy person, I suppose that I could understand saving the time... I have to ask, though... Why bother going in the first place?

In one hour I think I get enough to know if the direction, acting, etc etc is good enough to make it worth it. I really wouldn't care much if it was a story that had 1 hour 59 minutes of boredom and an awesome twist at the end. I bother going because that is the only way to know if the movie is good enough or not for my taste. That way I get to see many movies, and sit through those that I genuinely like. I have a monthly pass for one of the chains, so in those cinema it costs me nothing additional

I understand. A movie pass at one of the chain theatres is about $20.00 here, so if I go, I've made a bit of an investment. I would love to be able to purchase a monthly pass; I'd certainly see more movies, but that option isn't available...

The only movies I go to are when they are showing at our local IMAX. For all others, I simply watch them on my Kuro plasma. That way, because of my weak bladder, I can pause the action to go take care of business. J/K. Besides, I get really annoyed at rude people at theaters.

The only movies I go to are when they are showing at our local IMAX. For all others, I simply watch them on my Kuro plasma. That way, because of my weak bladder, I can pause the action to go take care of business. J/K. Besides, I get really annoyed at rude people at theaters.

That's funny.lol. Our Mega Theatres (Cineplex Odeon) generally have one or two IMAX theatres, one or two Ultra AVX (Atmos) theatres, a bunch of 3D theatres and a couple VIP theatres (booze, food). I haven't encountered any Rude-ies lately, fortunately.

Ken, the Avengers trailer looks pretty exciting. I'll be going to see it when it comes out. the last great theatre movie I had seen prior to Fury (IMO) was Rush, which I saw in the AVX theatre. The sound of 80's Formula 1 cars is amazing in itself. It's true that home cinemas are getting better and bigger with each passing year, but until I can fit a 25 meter screen in my house, along with 5 kw of sound system, I'll be watching movies in the theatre.

Did anyone see A Late Quartet? I watched Netflix. It was a decent story.

I missed Late Quartet, good you reminded me. Nightcrawler is a fun watch.

OK so I made it to the opening of "Interstellar" last night. Went to an IMAX in Valencia, CA with great anticipation. When the movie started they had the volume up so LOUD that during the dynamic portions of the movie there was so much distortion you could not understand the dialogue. I like loud but not that loud. About 45 minutes into the movie a woman, about 45 years old, pulls out her cell phone and begins to text. This is precisely why I seldom go the theaters any more. I was in $18.50 and now all I can see out of the corner of my eye is a bright white light. After a few minutes I asked her politely to put the phone away and she did.

As for the movie, it was "2001 A Space Odyssey" on steroids. The dialog style, cinematic style, sound track style, robot/computer style with twists... all from "Space Odyssey". The movie did not really work for me. Certainly the expectation did not meet the realization. I give it three stars out of five.

Gary

OK so I made it to the opening of "Interstellar" last night. Went to an IMAX in Valencia, CA with great anticipation. When the movie started they had the volume up so LOUD that during the dynamic portions of the movie there was so much distortion you could not understand the dialogue. I like loud but not that loud. About 45 minutes into the movie a woman, about 45 years old, pulls out her cell phone and begins to text. This is precisely why I seldom go the theaters any more. I was in $18.50 and now all I can see out of the corner of my eye is a bright white light. After a few minutes I asked her politely to put the phone away and she did.

As for the movie, it was "2001 A Space Odyssey" on steroids. The dialog style, cinematic style, sound track style, robot/computer style with twists... all from "Space Odyssey". The movie did not really work for me. Certainly the expectation did not meet the realization. I give it three stars out of five.

Gary

We're going tomorrow evening. I'll chime in afterwards. Movie etiquette is pretty good up here. I have been looking forward to Interstellar for awhile.

Nightcrawler is a good movie, worth seeing once. Interstellar is a good watch. Some good scenes, as usual Nolan manages to get his panties into a twist and not finish off the last half smoothly, trying to complicate things, but Matt Mccnaughey is just superb. Killer Joe and this are his best performances, followed by Dallas buyers club

Captain America : The Winter Soldier. Recommended by me.

Hi Julian,
Do not have a TV or universal player at home. Not much interested in movies rather relish or prefer a imaginative and musical audio album. Value music recomendations by friends.

Only like Science Fiction and Super hero movies. Read many comics both DC and Marvel when young. Waited so many years since the 80’s for movie making technology to advance so that I could watch my favorite super hero characters in real life like terms. Super Hero films of the 80’s ,for instance, Superman series really in my opinion does not accurately portray in images to the same extent the abilities of the super hero as the comics. But now, since then, computer hardware and software has improved greatly.

Though I have read large number of DC and Marvel comics, for reason unknown to me character of Captain America did not appeal to me. So when I went to the cinema to watch the second Captain America movie I did not expect to be on the edge of the seat and be dazed for hours afterwards. This movie far exceeded my expectations of how entertaining it will be.

Fun to watch movies on the big screen with a high quality sound system playing far, far louder than level at which I listen to audio at home. I watch on average 3 to 5 movies every year in cinema. Rude people, there are always a few, detract from the overall fun.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Drop and Imitation Game are alright, nothing special

Back