OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go Multichannel, one option for me is a Stat speaker like Logans, the other option is a Vandersteen Quattro wood for the front two

Last edited:
There is a pair of Soundlabs 845s, valued at 35k, listed on the Gon for 10k. 8ft by 3.5 ft

I will tell you this - I don't feel like the 5a carbon did anything wrong. I can live with them.

I hear the TAD and again the 800 diamonds on sat.

I will try and re listen to Vandy 5a carbon on Sunday and come to a decision.

I'm beginning to wonder if the vandersteens are just so neutral that nothing jumped out...

Today's the day I get to listen to 2 systems:

TAD reference 1

BW 800 Diamonds with my Cary 05 tube preamp inserted into an otherwise all Classe system.

Hopefully this will clear up some questions and uncertainties I may have.

I got a babysitter for the baby, my brother is coming with me... Everything is set and I'm excited.

YG Anat III sig. Verona, WI. Silver. Powered sub. Latest drivers. Custom. List $100K. Gon $25K.

Today's the day I get to listen to 2 systems:

TAD reference 1

BW 800 Diamonds with my Cary 05 tube preamp inserted into an otherwise all Classe system.

Hopefully this will clear up some questions and uncertainties I may have.

I got a babysitter for the baby, my brother is coming with me... Everything is set and I'm excited.

Have fun!! The one wild card is your Cary amps no?? U may want to try to get more info out of Ivan as to why he moved his Strads back in w the Mac tube amps and moved the r1s in with his 28bsst's. I read that as he liked his r1s with lots of solid state power.

Buying speakers without knowing how they will work with your amp(s) is a very risky proposition.

I did that recently with one of YG's models and lost ALOT of money.

Suffice to say I learned my lesson.

Ummm... Yeah. So I heard the Ref1.

Yeah.... That's all I'll say.

And regarding the amplification, I have no problem switching out at a later date. I won't lose money on these guys. Cary 211 FE is not something that I'll lose money on.

Have fun!! The one wild card is your Cary amps no?? U may want to try to get more info out of Ivan as to why he moved his Strads back in w the Mac tube amps and moved the r1s in with his 28bsst's. I read that as he liked his r1s with lots of solid state power.

Ivan... What a legend, Tim.

Preliminary thoughts (I am going to go back to listen today), beats the 800 diamonds without breaking a sweat. Note that I've heard some really good speakers and none blew the diamonds away to the point where I dropped them from contention.

I will listen again to ascertain what I heard and make sure I know what I'm talking about.

But it seems like what they say about it is true. Images like crazy. Concentric driver has a stat like quality to it but with dynamics. I did not feel like I was missing anything in terms of presentation compared to Logans. In fact, I think a stat guy would enjoy these Ref 1 speakers. Utterly flat response, sounds real.

I know that Marck, who has the CLX, thought the Ref 1 was the best room at last year's (not this year's) Windsor hifi show. Also my lampi dealer, who is into horns, likes the Ref 1

Shot by me at Munich. Fanfare for the common TAD!

I'm not saying anything about them LOL.

Last edited:
Oh OK I don't think they are worth the asking $$$. But they are nicely made. The compact TAD is £35K odd here. No way I think. Spent some time listening to the compact. Less to the Ref but they are very similar in tone.

They are very neutral sounding though. A nice sort of pure sound runs out of them. Nice, no question. But £35K for a small two unit speaker? Hm...

Don't let me put you off them, Joey. If you really liked them go for them. You are not me:)

Last edited:
I was talking about the BIG ones... heheheh.... now I wonder if it will fit in my room.

Oh OK I don't think they are worth the asking $$$. But they are nicely made. The compact TAD is £35K odd here. No way I think. Spent some time listening to the compact. Less to the Ref but they are very similar in tone.

They are very neutral sounding though. A nice sort of pure sound runs out of them. Nice, no question. But £35K for a small two unit speaker? Hm...

Don't let me put you off them, Joey. If you really liked them go for them. You are not me:)

Hey Justin -

Hahhaa... now I get it.. "fanfare for the common TAD"...

Btw, regarding price - ran it by my wife last night... she looked it at me straight in the eye and told me no more toys for 10 years. Then I haggled to 5. Then she said - "well you better be really sure because this is almost twice your original budget".

But yeah, I know you mentioned these are pricey and they are.. $78K retail. But I found a very good source for a demo pair and it won't run me much more than a pair of local dealer brand new Wilson Sasha 2.

Because I can tell you right now - I ain't paying 78 large ones for a pair of speakers... no way, no how.

Last edited:
Heard it again today. Similar impression as yesterday. Few things I do not like is that I will not be able to reproduce it to the same degree as the guy who is selling them. Another thing I do not like is the size, it is so massive. Taking them up and then in the future - down the stair - is going to be a massive chore each time. I miss the days when I could man handle the Summits on my own. 330 pounds of speaker is no joke.

Another thing I have come to grips with is a bitter sweet feeling that part of me is still wanting the Stradivari.

I don't know - I wasn't able to pull the trigger tonight but I placed the Ref1 on a 3 day hold.

You are well into 101E Mk. 1 or II territory.

Less money actually but your amps will likely not work.

Latest posts

Back