OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep looking, nothing on the 'gon for the past 3 weeks... nuts!

I had a semi local guy (300 miles away) and I didn't jump on it quick enough because I had to audition the TADs... now it's sold.

If you guys track one down, let me know.

3. Strads get me maybe 80% there... it should be good enough for me at this point of my life. Atleast this gives me something to look forward to in the future.

With all due respect, that sounds horrible. Why bother with that kind of attitude.

Yep... No hits so far.

Joey. I think that if these speakers get you 80% there then your system synergy and room could take it further. I have a hunch the Cary / esoteric is going to just be mahvelous with the Strads.

Congrats on the finalization of the decision. You sure as hell vetted it out. I am the same way.

Be patient and the right ones will come along.

Hi Joey_V,

Since you have made up your mind it may be too late to audition a Shahinian Obelisk.

One of the top 40 loudspeakers ever made. Very musical and integrated sound quality. Creates a huge soundstage.

In addition, high quality build. The designer of the Obelisk has been continuously improving this loudspeaker since the 70's.

If you get the Obelisk which is less than $10,000. You will have funds left over to buy perhaps Nordost Valhalla interconnects and speaker wire.

Have Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, that sounds horrible. Why bother with that kind of attitude.

What I mean is that the by going with the TAD Ref 1, I think they require a whole new slew of upstreams that I'm not willing to spend on just yet. It's more than just the cost of the speaker, buying a Ref 1 would likely mean I have to up the ante on the rest of my gear... Not to mention my room.

I just think that while the Strads are perhaps 80% of the TAD Ref 1, it might be a more balanced proposition for the situation I'm in right now.

There's always a better speaker or system out there. At some point, you just gotta say enough is enough. Not looking to dump 6 figures into this system.

And although 80% of the Ref 1 sounds defeatist... It's not. The strads for me are still the 2nd best I've heard so far. Maybe it just goes to show how good the Ref 1 really is.

Just as a reference point, I'd say the BW 800 Diamond is probably at 60% of the Ref1.

Joey. I think that if these speakers get you 80% there then your system synergy and room could take it further. I have a hunch the Cary / esoteric is going to just be mahvelous with the Strads.

Congrats on the finalization of the decision. You sure as hell vetted it out. I am the same way.

Be patient and the right ones will come along.

I think it will sound mahvelous Tim. Can't wait to put it together. My wife has been asking me to put some speakers in the family room so that's another project. Not too crazy. Like I said, don't want to go sonus there. Maybe a pair of bowers or logans. Figured a different sound in each room.

Gordon,

Another way of explaining my thoughts -

Say the max of each speaker is as follows:

Strad 80 pts
Ref 1 100 pts

With my current gear and room, I doubt I'd get the Ref 1 to 100 while I think I can get the Strads pretty far up there. This is considering power consumption (90db vs 93) and overall superior transparency of the Ref 1 might expose weaknesses I do not yet foresee. Plus they seem to be a tighter fit in my room.

Basically it's a function of economics. I just realized that spending absurd amounts of money isn't the smartest right now. If I were rich, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Joey,

I hope you enjoy what you have now (or will have) because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

You will have a very fine speaker, top Cary electronics, and a world class digital playback system.

Not too bad.

And frankly, the uber stuff is nice but in many ways overrated.

Gordon

TAD Compact Reference. Good to 40Hz.

Joey they sound very similar to the Refs. I'd be very tempted to get the compacts if I were you. You could always add subs if you feel you need it. Some JLs or something.

I heard them with Concert Fidelity DAC, pre power and MSB transport. Really they are very, very good. $37K but half that on the Gon I expect.

Funny you should bring this up Justin. A "dealer" resell on the Gon for $20K. Includes stands.

PS: If I recall, I purchased my Pass Labs amp from these guys several years ago.

Last edited:
Justin,

My local dealer told me that the E1 were better than the CR1 - he says skip that model.

TAD Compact Reference. Good to 40Hz.

Joey they sound very similar to the Refs. I'd be very tempted to get the compacts if I were you. You could always add subs if you feel you need it. Some JLs or something.

I heard them with Concert Fidelity DAC, pre power and MSB transport. Really they are very, very good. $37K but half that on the Gon I expect.

Joey,

I hope you enjoy what you have now (or will have) because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

You will have a very fine speaker, top Cary electronics, and a world class digital playback system.

Not too bad.

And frankly, the uber stuff is nice but in many ways overrated.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, appreciate it. :rocker:

Justin,

My local dealer told me that the E1 were better than the CR1 - he says skip that model.

It looks like it would be TBH looking at the photos. How much is the E1?

I wouldn't buy a pair myself - I just think because you really liked the Ref the tone of the CR1 is very much of the same family.

It looks like it would be TBH looking at the photos. How much is the E1?

I wouldn't buy a pair myself - I just think because you really liked the Ref the tone of the CR1 is very much of the same family.

I think E1 is $27K new, I missed the demo pair which was probably high teens from him.

He also had Raidho D3 for $27K demo... which was a good deal, but I didn't bite on that.

The tone of the Ref 1 is nice - but I still *think* the Strads were a little more 3D. But not as good at delivering the "venue" to you as the Ref 1. Ref 1 gave the whole package, but I enjoyed the Strads way of really getting the voices to be near holographic. So with this in mind, I figured, I might as well resign myself to the Strads.

Well in my opinion the CR1 was very good as I said. No disrespect to your dealer.

I really didn't think the Ref was much better. Different kit and room, but even so...

I meant to say MBL transport for the sake of accuracy.

Latest posts

Back