OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey's thread has now meandered into 18 pages of hangout at the pub - everything goes

Ahhahahah... all is well... it's nice to hang out with you crazy people. So, who's buying the next round of drinks around here??

Except still no speakers!:ROFL:

Sorry Joey - didn't mean it:)

Low blow man... I can't help it if everyone wants to gouge me on these Strads. $36K for a demo pair?? Might as well get a brand new one for that. Come on audiogon... bail me out!!

Justin, I'm looking forward to your and Kedar's reviews of the Interstellas, with tube and SS amps, using both analog and digital sources. Kedar seems to be a recent convert to vinyl. Have you ever considered open-reel analog tape?

Joey, sorry for the thread hijack. BTW, it's curious, but when typing your name, my iPad gave me "Joeyitis" as one option:)

You know.... this whole joeyitis thing is still alive and well. I haven't even purchased my Strads and I'm already thinking of getting a 2nd and 3rd set of speakers going.

Joey, why not forget the 2nd and 3rd pair for now, and just bite the bullet and use all that money to buy new Strads. Can't say I like the walnut, though; I prefer them in red.

Joey, why not forget the 2nd and 3rd pair for now, and just bite the bullet and use all that money to buy new Strads. Can't say I like the walnut, though; I prefer them in red.

New strads? I could get my pic of any color... But isn't this a bad financial move to buy new at $35? Gon lists at 24 ish

Yes. I'll come out and say that it would be unwise to buy something new for a third more than can be had used (lightly, no less). You'll just have to be patient, and feed this thread.

Yes. I'll come out and say that it would be unwise to buy something new for a third more than can be had used (lightly, no less). You'll just have to be patient, and feed this thread.

Agreed. If Joey buys new, this thread will end. Wait for the used price, Joey

Hm you could go and get some Strad type spec speakers handmade from new for less. Get a cabinet maker and a bespoke x-over maker. That is all you need. Or just Google for US custom speaker builders. There must be some we have them here.

Box speakers are very simple to make really. If you spec it right I reckon you could do better than the Strad. However, you would pick a speaker that isn't a typical box shape, and that will cost more.

Only a suggestion and it will take time & effort on your part. Plus for a Strad type speaker it may be hard to emulate the exact spec as you won't have complete access to what drivers they had made specifically (if they did) or x-over components or indeed internal construction.

Hey, maybe it is a bad idea:D Food for thought. 2 seconds worth?:)

Here's a non-USA based one that looks good: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/custom.html

I heard some Tannoys a few months ago that were built to spec. They were outstanding - best pair of Tannoys I have ever heard. I know the guy who did the cabinet design.

Last edited:
Hm you could go and get some Strad type spec speakers handmade from new for less. Get a cabinet maker and a bespoke x-over maker. That is all you need. Or just Google for US custom speaker builders. There must be some we have them here.

Box speakers are very simple to make really. If you spec it right I reckon you could do better than the Strad. However, you would pick a speaker that isn't a typical box shape, and that will cost more.

There are some like Polk and Salis Audio in the US, who hang out on Audiocircle. Never heard them but people love them, and they build boxes like you want them

New strads? I could get my pic of any color... But isn't this a bad financial move to buy new at $35? Gon lists at 24 ish
I thought you were getting antsy, hence my suggestion. Also, I would put all my money into one killer system rather than buying 2 or 3 systems; but that's just me.

I thought you were getting antsy, hence my suggestion. Also, I would put all my money into one killer system rather than buying 2 or 3 systems; but that's just me.

Yes but then two years later he would want a system that kills his current system. Hifi is like dating in the teens. Once you get it, you lose interest.

That's why I audition so much, quenches the thirst of buying, and then you can buy a normal one happy with the compromises you have made. Because you already kind of know what you would have got to with your next upgrade, which, really, might not be much unless you change your game

Yes but then two years later he would want a system that kills his current system. Hifi is like dating in the teens. Once you get it, you lose interest.
Glad I'm off that merry-go-round. I haven't bought anything serious since my ARC monoblocks in 2004. I'm just enjoying the music.
That's why I audition so much, quenches the thirst of buying, and then you can buy a normal one happy with the compromises you have made. Because you already kind of know what you would have got to with your next upgrade, which, really, might not be much unless you change your game
Seriously? You think you might find your cure to Joeyitis? Let us know when you do. :)

Glad I'm off that merry-go-round. I haven't bought anything serious since my ARC monoblocks in 2004. I'm just enjoying the music.

Seriously? You think you might find your cure to Joeyitis? Let us know when you do. :)

I think I already have. I will buy either the Omega or that GT audio hybrid planar, and especially the latter will mean no upgraditis. I will then extend my stereo to Mch. I think without the benefit of a full blow acoustic room like Marty's you can extend your stereo capability only so much, after that it is just upgraditis that gets you nowhere in sound. Then the only way to build your system is to create a real concert hall ambience through Mch. I heard a 5.1 Wilson Duets in the US in a 15*15 room which sounded real good for the room, you could not have placed even a studio monitor in stereo otherwise.

I am not saying I am losing the audiophile itch. i am just scratching it vicariously, through the systems built by others. Demoing can be more enjoyable than buying a big budget system yourself. Bernard I just get 2 hours a week to listen to music, really, not including the live concerts I am going to, averaging almost one a week

Back