OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha... I hit that limiter quite a bit.

Cleaned and ready for action!

Congrats on the K-01 Gordon, should sound great. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Also, curious to hear if you get an external clock since there are opinions on both sides of the fence as to whether it makes a difference or not.

So, what's next? The best system I've ever heard uses a Totaldac digital front end. Very pricey, though. Sorry the Esoteric didn't work out for you in your system. It all comes down to matching the components, including the speakers, to your taste, of course. I know from first hand experience that the K-3 sounds magnificent in Steve's (sb6) system and there's no reason the K-1 wouldn't sound at least as good in it. Of course his Ushers have a different sound signature than your MBLs!

sb,

Ended up not keeping it.

Gordon

Gordon, I'm curious to hear what you felt it didn't do well and what you replaced it with. I know Esoteric is known for their house sound (like it or not) which supposedly has veered more towards neutral starting with the K-03/K-01 lineup and newer DAC chips.

Hi guys,

I simply could not connect with the K on an emotional level. It certainly did some things better than my Cary, especially in the "space / dimensionality" category. Despite this, I found it too "clinical" for my biases. Suffice to say I really tried, over two months, to "rewire" my brain. In fact, I've never put forth such effort to try to justify buying a new component.

Steve, I'm not sure there is a "what's next" and, at this point, I really don't care. I'm very tired of swapping gear (auditioned and returned YG speakers, the Pass Labs X350.5 amp, and now the K CDP in the past year) and am quite happy with what I have. The addition of a Shunyata Research Cobra IC (pre to CDP) and three sets of Mapleshade "Tri-point" brass cones (under the pre, CDP, and amp) have certainly advanced my systems performance in ways that I can hear, justify (cost vs performance), and enjoy.

And yes, system synergy is very critical to maximizing the aggregate performance of anyone's system. I can't say enough regarding the importance of this phenomena. Having said that, any new component needs to work with what I have. I refuse to switch out other gear to make a different component sound good to me. Will not go down that rabbit hole.

Next for me. Send my CDP back to Cary for a full servicing, which shall probably involve installing a new transport and laser. I also may try installing some "Road Kill" dampening material inside the MBL cabinets, which I had very positive results with the woofer cabinet of the ML SL3's. And finally, switch out my other DH Labs IC (pre to amp) for another SR Cobra.

Best,

Gordon

Hi guys,

I simply could not connect with the K on an emotional level. It certainly did some things better than my Cary, especially in the "space / dimensionality" category. Despite this, I found it too "clinical" for my biases. Suffice to say I really tried, over two months, to "rewire" my brain. In fact, I've never put forth such effort to try to justify buying a new component.

Steve, I'm not sure there is a "what's next" and, at this point, I really don't care. I'm very tired of swapping gear (auditioned and returned YG speakers, the Pass Labs X350.5 amp, and now the K CDP in the past year) and am quite happy with what I have. The addition of a Shunyata Research Cobra IC (pre to CDP) and three sets of Mapleshade "Tri-point" brass cones (under the pre, CDP, and amp) have certainly advanced my systems performance in ways that I can hear, justify (cost vs performance), and enjoy.

And yes, system synergy is very critical to maximizing the aggregate performance of anyone's system. I can't say enough regarding the importance of this phenomena. Having said that, any new component needs to work with what I have. I refuse to switch out other gear to make a different component sound good to me. Will not go down that rabbit hole.

Next for me. Send my CDP back to Cary for a full servicing, which shall probably involve installing a new transport and laser. I also may try installing some "Road Kill" dampening material inside the MBL cabinets, which I had very positive results with the woofer cabinet of the ML SL3's. And finally, switch out my other DH Labs IC (pre to amp) for another SR Cobra.

Best,

Gordon

Glad to hear you are happy with your Carey but sorry to hear about the Esoteric. As you said synergy has to be there and IMO the MBLs are very revealing and likely brought out any shortcomings of the Esoteric. I have recently made significant xover modifications in my speakers which were known to be somewhat "warm" sounding. With these changes (once broken in) I too may find my Esoteric too clinical sounding, we'll see.

Gordon.... Have you inquired about the new Cary kit? Curious if they have bumped up the performance with the DACs they are putting out vs the 306.... I will say - my Cary slp98p is my favorite piece of gear.... when it came into the equation my jaw dropped... I would guess the 306 and the K1 were opposite ends of the spectrum?

timm,

I see they have introduced some new product. Thanks for the suggestion. Again, I'm not interested in pursuing other gear at this time.

Regarding your question of "opposite ends", all I can say is that, in my system with my biases, I prefer the Cary, by a somewhat large margin, over the K.

May sound odd to some but........................

Gordon

Uu
timm,

I see they have introduced some new product. Thanks for the suggestion. Again, I'm not interested in pursuing other gear at this time.

Regarding your question of "opposite ends", all I can say is that, in my system with my biases, I prefer the Cary, by a somewhat large margin, over the K.

Gordon
Gordon, does Cary offer any service for upgrading caps, etc?

Good question Bernard but probably not. I will ask.

I think they are only stocking replacement parts until they run out.

I'm hoping, after servicing, I will have numerous years of life remaining on the 306.

Gordon

timm,

"........

Gordon
Not odd at all. Everyone has a system sound they like. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. I applaud you for selecting what you like, not what someone else may say is better!

I've been in contact with Gordon about his experience with the K1. He has been instrumental in my buying of the 306. It's a good player... I'm building a premier system and this 306 will remain with me for some time.

Nothing wrong with Maggie's, especially the 20.7s! Nice! In my opinion, when it comes to any great speaker, whether Wilsons, Rockports, Sonus Fabers, Maggies etc, ancillary gear, room acoustics and setup make or break them. I've heard Wilsons sound thin, CLXs sound thin other brands sound so bad I had to leave the room, YG Acustics come to mind, yet I've heard these brands sound spectacular in the right setup. Never quit experimenting with setup, positioning, gear, isolation and acoustic treatments. I learned this by listening to the incredible evolution of sound quality in a friend's system and by trial and error myself. Like Bob said, if Wilsons sound lacking in life or midrange, there was something amiss in the setup.

Very well said:D

Been away from the internet for some time now due to changes going on which are good so apologize for not responding to threads.

I agree Maggies are very nice as well as my cousin has been a Maggie guy for as long as I can remember. Heard them many times and enjoyable.

Regards,
Bob.

Bob,

You're definitely not butting into my thread... this thread has been derailed so many times, it's great!!

I see you have the MAXX1... I don't think I've ever heard those, but me and several guys on this forum have heard the MAXX2 and I thought it sounded impressive. I am sure yours are very lovely and give great sound.

As for me, I finally got a good chunk of my gear to the dealer, plopped them with the 802 Diamonds and I swear I could just have bought the 802 Diamonds as they were. Very good sound top to bottom, well worth the entry fee I thought. A little tube in the Diamonds go a long way. Very realistic vocalization and sound. ONly problem I have is I just can't hear the Strads on my gear so there goes that leap of faith again.

Ah well... still looking for the right deal, so I don't think there's anything wrong with auditioning the final two competitors while waiting for the right Strad deal to fall onto my lap.

Hi Joey,

Hope all is well and your getting to your final destination with your search:cool:

Still enjoying the new(used) speakers and actually buying some vinyl like I did as a youngster. Just now will probably have to find a reasonably priced phono amp:confused:

Regards,
Bob

Hi Joey,

Hope all is well and your getting to your final destination with your search:cool:

Still enjoying the new(used) speakers and actually buying some vinyl like I did as a youngster. Just now will probably have to find a reasonably priced phono amp:confused:

Regards,
Bob

Thanks bob!!

I am getting there... there's been a significant change to my system and I just received it today... so I need to get my bearings straight first.

Suffice to say, at this time, I am nearly 100% satisfied with the BW 802 Diamond sound.

We'll see how this new iteration of the system sounds after I tweak it and improve it.

Back