OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joey. Regarding the salesman... Some people are born followers. That guy probably hasn't had an original idea in his life.

thanks guys.. just had to vent. You figured someone selling 20K plus speakers would have the decency to treat customers well. Instead, it's like they're doing you a favor by selling you some speakers.

In other news.... man, finding a pair of Sonus Faber Stradivaris is so difficult.. argh!!! Still none for sale in the used market nearby. can't believe I passed up a semi local one in november! I'm an idiot!!

Not sure if you are aware, but www.hifishark.com/ is a great site that searches for audio gear. Saves a great deal of time IMO. I'm sure a pair will show up. Sonus Fabers I thought sounded fantastic at RMAF last year. I've heard some say they sound warm and rolled off at the top, but I heard none of that. Sound matched the aesthetics.

Ahh, the search for Unobtanium is a time consuming and IME ultimately unrewarding endeavor. You need to remember that you should add the cost of what you are giving up (opportunity cost), listening to a great pair of speakers, to the cost of what you are, or will/may, purchase to get a true measurement of the cost incurred. How many pairs of the speakers were made? How many will be on the used market at any time? How many of those will be local? I think this will be a hard nut to crack. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pr of ML-2 amps when I had the chance. Waited too long and missed out. Haven't seen a pair on sale since at a competitive price and this was a long time ago. My 2 cents!

Ahh, the search for Unobtanium is a time consuming and IME ultimately unrewarding endeavor. You need to remember that you should add the cost of what you are giving up (opportunity cost), listening to a great pair of speakers, to the cost of what you are, or will/may, purchase to get a true measurement of the cost incurred. How many pairs of the speakers were made? How many will be on the used market at any time? How many of those will be local? I think this will be a hard nut to crack. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pr of ML-2 amps when I had the chance. Waited too long and missed out. Haven't seen a pair on sale since at a competitive price and this was a long time ago. My 2 cents!

I don't mind if it's not local as long as it's within the US. I have seen 1 or 2 on audiogon on random visits in the past, but all of a sudden, when I'm actually looking for one, there is none to be found!

I have sourced a local AD that has agreed on a price of $35000 for brand new, any finish, with delivery and set up. He said that setting it up with a set of Carys and Esoteric would be a great combo.

Problem is that for $35, that's about $11 over what I've seen on audiogon. But again, $35 is the lowest I've ever seen for a brand new item. All other dealers tell me 40. And the one dealer in Michigan, Paragon, says demo for $36. So, I know $35 is an awesome deal.

Not sure if you are aware, but www.hifishark.com/ is a great site that searches for audio gear. Saves a great deal of time IMO. I'm sure a pair will show up. Sonus Fabers I thought sounded fantastic at RMAF last year. I've heard some say they sound warm and rolled off at the top, but I heard none of that. Sound matched the aesthetics.

Thanks! I've been keeping an eye on that too.

At this time I'm beginning to contemplate getting the SF Ellipsas. There's one on audiogon for 10... Which is a great price. Never heard it before but I assume somewhat similar to Strads. At that price, I can buy a pair of 802 Diamonds also.

But something tells me to go all the way and not midway.

If you can hold out for the better SFs, it will be worth it. Speakers are one of the last pieces of gear you want to compromise on. Much easier (and usually less expensive) to change out amp(s), source components, cables, etc.

If you can hold out for the better SFs, it will be worth it. Speakers are one of the last pieces of gear you want to compromise on. Much easier (and usually less expensive) to change out amp(s), source components, cables, etc.

Have you seen the prices on the "top" electronics? Frickin' obscene IMO, yet the best sound I've heard in years was from a system way north of $100000K:devil:

Joey, why don't you post a "Wanted" ad? There may well be someone out there who's waffling about selling.

Have you seen the prices on the "top" electronics? Frickin' obscene IMO, yet the best sound I've heard in years was from a system way north of $100000K:devil:

Fo' sho'... They all get expensive real quick

Yep I have been in contact with him. Problem is his is a little old and not in USA. Maybe of he offered it for 20.
Joey, that price is slightly under US $20K.

They are in my home town. I can go and check them out for you, if you want, but only late next week as there has been a death in my family.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. The loss of a sibling just slightly older than yourself is traumatic, but we are doing well.

Bernard,

Sorry for your loss man. I hope you and your family are well. I can't imagine what you're going through.

No rush on checking out the Strads my friend, take care of yourself first.

Bernard,

Sorry for your loss man. I hope you and your family are well. I can't imagine what you're going through.

No rush on checking out the Strads my friend, take care of yourself first.
Thanks Joey; very much appreciated.

I'm anxious to listen to the speakers that have seduced you.

Back