OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think so, it's worth going and listening to. I thought the used price you mention for b&w was too high. Normally well known brands go below 40% easy. The more they change hands the lower the price. It won't cost you much to go there and listen. If still worried, get it sent to the manufacturer on your cost for a check or servicing, so you know they are fine

Last edited:
Flawed logic I think Joey.

$11K too cheap. $20K too expensive. Color me confused.

I agree with the others. If you can check out personally, what's to lose?

I saw a pair of MBL 101E's advertised on the Gon located in London. Asking price $11K for the pair.

An absolute steal. They should go for $20 to 25K. Legacy E's list price was $50K. MKII version $70K. They are no longer listed. Someone hit the lottery.

You never know.

GG

PS: If this is the "one", I'd pursue even if it costs you a plane ticket.

Last edited:
Hi GG, when was that. Last year when I started out I heard a pair advertised at £18k, they would have sold for lesser. Might be doing the rounds still.

I saw a pair of MBL 101E's advertised on the Gon located in London. Asking price $11K for the pair.

An absolute steal. They should go for $20 to 25K. Legacy E's list price was $50K. MKII version $70K. They are no longer listed. Someone hit the lottery.

You never know.

GG

Joey, if they turn out fine please pass 3k my way, still a bargain for you

Oh and about value... Strads had such killer bass that it just wiped the floor with the 800 Diamonds. The diamonds might need me to augment with 2 subs somewhere down the line and that costs money.

I rarely hear bass that good coming out of floorstanders. Summits didn't have that impact nor did the sasha2 or Alexia's from Wilson.

You know, I have heard that about the 800 diamonds regarding bass. I can't figure out how a speaker with that depth of cabinet wouldn't just have knock your sox off bass. But I believe u. I did not amp up the Strads and the air was still moving nicely. They sound like they look. To me it is just one of those speakers that makes you smile. You don't think about anything but how nice the music sounds.

The place a mile from me has all 3 of the speakers you have mentioned. But for me I think I really need to hear the Maggie 20.7. If I ever purchase a pair I would be building a room around them though.

You never know.

GG

PS: If this is the "one", I'd pursue even if it costs you a plane ticket.

What I meant was that I've never heard of a Strad for 11k. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. There has to be a catch. Otherwise, I'll buy it. Either there's something off about it or he's just desperate to sell.

Audiogon has one for 20k. The lowest I've ever seen was 16,500 and it sold at that price. $11k? I guess I have to see it for myself.

Whoa... Strads sold at 20k on 'gon. And 800 Diamonds showed up for 13,995...

Whoa... Strads sold at 20k on 'gon. And 800 Diamonds showed up for 13,995...

Well, I think there are different kinds of used, with pricing to match. If a 2 month old pair of SF Stradivari are worth 20k, an identically configured pair that are 18 months old may well be worth 12k. Is there anything on earth that depreciates faster than an expensive pair of loudspeakers (the answer is YES; Range Rover:).
The 12k strads that are 18 months old may be great value, but they're not nearly new, hence the price. If I was curious enough to want more information, I'd ask him to take some very specific, and very odd pictures of them to verify that they're in his possession.

Gordon, there are also a pair of 101E's on the AA classified site for you. They're also roughly 12k ;).

Well, I think there are different kinds of used, with pricing to match. If a 2 month old pair of SF Stradivari are worth 20k, an identically configured pair that are 18 months old may well be worth 12k. Is there anything on earth that depreciates faster than an expensive pair of loudspeakers (the answer is YES; Range Rover:).
The 12k strads that are 18 months old may be great value, but they're not nearly new, hence the price. If I was curious enough to want more information, I'd ask him to take some very specific, and very odd pictures of them to verify that they're in his possession.

Gordon, there are also a pair of 101E's on the AA classified site for you. They're also roughly 12k ;).

I will ask him of this.

Son of (&@E@... I missed the 800 Diamonds by 2 hours. Someone bought it right before I got to the seller. :mad:

I had to sleep on it overnight then I woke up and I worked myself up to buying it, and I thought about what it meant for my bank account and whether it was the right thing to do and then I spoke to the wife who told me that my hobby is weird.

And then I was at the beach (at FS Maui right now) and I just told myself - it's time to pull the trigger.

And then I went to the hotel room, called the guy... and he said some other guy committed to buy it.

*Sigh*....

Last edited:
Well the asylum page is gone so now I can't contact the Strad guy. Bad day for me.

Son of (&@E@... I missed the 800 Diamonds by 2 hours. Someone bought it right before I got to the seller. :mad:

I had to sleep on it overnight then I woke up and I worked myself up to buying it, and I thought about what it meant for my bank account and whether it was the right thing to do and then I spoke to the wife who told me that my hobby is weird.

And then I was at the beach (at FS Maui right now) and I just told myself - it's time to pull the trigger.

And then I went to the hotel room, called the guy... and he said some other guy committed to buy it.

*Sigh*....
I hope you left the guy your phone number. There are lots of deals that don't go through despite commitments.

I hope you left the guy your phone number. There are lots of deals that don't go through despite commitments.

I committed to buy the Diamonds if the other fell through. I cross my fingers.

Joey, these guys have the Sonus Faber Cremona, used, if that's an option:

http://www.paragonsns.com

Thanks Bernard... I've been following their ads for the elipsas on audiogon . I have not heard it but with the strads being better and somewhat close in price, I think I'll wait for a strad to pop at the right price. Unless a good 800 diamond pops up.

*Sigh*....

"If in doubt, go without" as they say. I reckon you'll do better :)

Back