High gloss dark cherry

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac_tweety

Reaction score
Hi,

has someone seen a Montis or Summit X in high gloss dark cherrry with aluminium frame? Or is this combination not available.

Hi Mac,

Have seen it with the black frame and it is stunning partially because of the contrast between the two finishes.

You should be able to order with the aluminum and it will certainly be a "visual" statement.

A bit too much for my tastes, I suspect, but if you like it, go for it.

GG

I have a pair - just arrived :) They look nice !!
Oppsett3 (1 of 1).jpg

Congratulations, you are going to be in heaven very soon! You will start to listen things in your music, that were hidden. Now, with your new stats, and Montis, they will come out beautifully. Happy listening!

Hi Redux,

Nice picture... I ordered a Summit X in high gloss (it's a must) cherry/black to replace my Montis. But now I'm considering to change the order and order a aluminium panel (with other veneer ) because I heard a Summit with aluminium panel and I had the feeling that the aluminium panel ( additional price ) sounds smoother than the black panel. Could that be?

Hi Redux,

Nice picture... I ordered a Summit X in high gloss (it's a must) cherry/black to replace my Montis. But now I'm considering to change the order and order a aluminium panel (with other veneer ) because I heard a Summit with aluminium panel and I had the feeling that the aluminium panel ( additional price ) sounds smoother than the black panel. Could that be?

Hi, As far as I understand the black version is aluminium as well - and they should "sound" the same. I ordered Montis because they are known to be better integrated ( bass/panel). I am planning to add two ML subs to work with the speakers, which is reported to be a better solution than Summit x.

I just got in a pair of Montis black frame and Zebra wood box and I don't feel like they need a subwoofer. Moving my Depth i to the family room to work with a pair of Theos also in Zebra.

Hi, As far as I understand the black version is aluminium as well - and they should "sound" the same. I ordered Montis because they are known to be better integrated ( bass/panel). I am planning to add two ML subs to work with the speakers, which is reported to be a better solution than Summit x.

Hi, could be that the panels sound identical. I love this HG dark cherry. At the moment I own Montis paired wirh BalancedForce 210. But the BalancedForce is very big. After auditioning the Summit X (in alu) I decided to switch and save place. summit X bass is certainly not as good as the bass from a BalancedForce but better than Montis alone. And finaly I want this high gloss finish (now Zebrawood) .

Hi, could be that the panels sound identical. I love this HG dark cherry. At the moment I own Montis paired wirh BalancedForce 210. But the BalancedForce is very big. After auditioning the Summit X (in alu) I decided to switch and save place. summit X bass is certainly not as good as the bass from a BalancedForce but better than Montis alone. And finaly I want this high gloss finish (now Zebrawood) .

The summit x sounds great. Remember that a new version is expected next year. They will probably get the same blend/mix technology as the Montis or better.

Replacement of Summit X next year? Is this confirmed?

Not confirmed. However it is very likely according to several sources. The X summit and clx is expected to get some upgrades. This information made me invest in Montis and ( to- be) subs.

Having heard Montis and Summit X in same shop I am not convinced the Montis bass is better integrated than Summit X. Two bass units, phase shift crossover, and greater amplification won over the DSP benefits to my ears. The overall quality of the bass output from the Summit X is also considerably better (aside from the integration aspect). Both Spires and Montis still fabulous speakers and great value IMHO.
I may have secured a second hand pair of Summit X following my evaluation!!!

Having heard Montis and Summit X in same shop I am not convinced the Montis bass is better integrated than Summit X. Two bass units, phase shift crossover, and greater amplification won over the DSP benefits to my ears. The overall quality of the bass output from the Summit X is also considerably better (aside from the integration aspect). Both Spires and Montis still fabulous speakers and great value IMHO.
I may have secured a second hand pair of Summit X following my evaluation!!!

The Summit X is indeed a fine speaker, and in several rooms and in several setups, the result is just better or at least more bass. That said, for me the integration is very important as I am used to Quads and full range panels. I avoided the idea of purchasing hybrids for many years due to "poor integration" (This can be discussed, I know!), or at least from my point of fire. Poor/No bass from the Quads was for me a better option.

I think and believe that new the technology in the Montis is indeed an improvement in this regard, but I do recognize that this is not important for many as the difference is not really that big.

Last edited:
I just got in a pair of Montis black frame and Zebra wood box and I don't feel like they need a subwoofer. Moving my Depth i to the family room to work with a pair of Theos also in Zebra.

They really don't need any subs, agreed. It is more on the "nice to have" list. The Montis play surprisingly deep. However, if you want a speaker solution that compete with the Summit X in regards of bass - the Montis + 2 proper ML subs it is.

Back to the topic. Which veneer looks good?
High gloss dark cherry is one of my favourites! Thank you Redux for the picture.
Is bubinga available in HG? High gloss bubinga with alu?

Back to the topic. Which veneer looks good?
High gloss dark cherry is one of my favourites! Thank you Redux for the picture.
Is bubinga available in HG? High gloss bubinga with alu?

I'm sure ML can do nearly any veneer in any gloss.

Yes, they can.
Finally I ordered the Summit X in High Gloss Black Cherrywood with black alu frame.

Yes, they can.
Finally I ordered the Summit X in High Gloss Black Cherrywood with black alu frame.

If this is a replacement for Montis you've listened to for a while, I'd be interested in the differences you hear once they are run in!! Enjoy them.... Great (and great looking) speakers!

Hi Dougster,

yes the Summit X replaces my Montis + BalancedForce 210 (see System #466).
But I have to wait patiently due to the delivery time of two months. :meditate:
My dealer told me it's the first order in Germany for a Summit X in this finish.

Back