Should I buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm reading it correctly, the panels in these CLS are NOT Martin Logan issue, rather they are DIY. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. There are others out there to be found. I waited 2 years before I found my pair, but it was worth the wait.

I have SL3's - around 16 years old or older - so in theory waaaaay beyond a need for replacement panel
they are still going strong with not a hint of deterioration

don't listen to the doom merchants on panel age and inevitable replacements, they are built to last and will go as long as a conventional speaker or longer
is there a risk - yes of course - but yours will be 4 years old, a mere child with a long and happy life ahead

ask your seller for proof on the replacement panels, have a listen - if all is good buy, then enjoy !!

There are lots of us who've had ML's longer than 16 years and many of us (including me) have had to go thru the process of getting new panels. When you're buying ML's used, you have no idea how they've been treated and what kind of environment they've been in... Humidity, smoke, etc. will dramatically shorten the lifespan of any ML ESL panel. Getting the panels replaced is a somewhat painful process when you're in the USA and more so now that ML has increased the price of new panels dramatically and we all know that in the UK, the dealers charge even MORE for replacement panels and you can't get them directly from ML.. So, not a "doom merchant" here, just trying to inform the OP....and glad you've had great luck with your SL3 panels... Not all of us have been so lucky. And I've venture to bet that if you got new panels for your SL3's you'd notice a dramatic difference... The deterioration happens very slowly and if they both deteriorate at the same time, it's very hard to discern that they panels are not sounding their best. :)

The consensus is don't buy em, and I've come to that conclusion too. I shall be patient and wait for the right pair to come along.

There are lots of us who've had ML's longer than 16 years and many of us (including me) have had to go thru the process of getting new panels. When you're buying ML's used, you have no idea how they've been treated and what kind of environment they've been in... Humidity, smoke, etc. will dramatically shorten the lifespan of any ML ESL panel. Getting the panels replaced is a somewhat painful process when you're in the USA and more so now that ML has increased the price of new panels dramatically and we all know that in the UK, the dealers charge even MORE for replacement panels and you can't get them directly from ML.. So, not a "doom merchant" here, just trying to inform the OP....and glad you've had great luck with your SL3 panels... Not all of us have been so lucky. And I've venture to bet that if you got new panels for your SL3's you'd notice a dramatic difference... The deterioration happens very slowly and if they both deteriorate at the same time, it's very hard to discern that they panels are not sounding their best. :)

Didn't mean to offend TomDac
I do recognise that replacements are v. expensive so should be considered but I sometimes get frustrated when nearly every thread I have read on ESL's (especially 'for sale' ones) there is someone saying you will need to replace the panels sooner or later.
I just wanted to make the point that replacement of panels within a certain period is not inevitable and it can be many years away if ever.

Latest posts

Back