Amplifiers classes "D" or "A/B"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2chman

Reaction score
Guys in your opinion which class of amps sound better? Class "D" or "A/B"

BTW I have ML source 4ohm speakers

2-channel power amplifier
• 250 watts x 2 channels high performance audio amplifier
• 500 watts x 2 channels 4 ohms
• Class D energy efficient design
• 12 volt trigger
• Five way binding posts

or

Classic Stereo Power Amplifier
• 2 x 200 watts @ 8 Ohms
• low magnetic field toroidal transformer
• high-current bipolar output transistors
• balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA connectors

Last edited:
Hola. Your ears must decide. You can find in both worlds, great sounding power amps. Even tube amps. As an example, my first choice is the tube amps, then clase D Bel Canto power amps, then SS class A, then SS class A/B. Also I do like a lot the Vertical FET and C-MOSFET output stage. But this is my liking and not necessary must be yours. Trust your ears! Happy listening.

As Roberto said - you'll have to listen buddy.

There's far more to amplifier design than the configuration of the output stage.

Hard to say, very generalized question.

But my preference is for class A.

If you are looking at class D, look at pro gear amps like crown to save money. The Arion amps are class D with tubed input and duelund cap and do not have the standard class D switch mode power supply. Never heard them but they are supposed to be very good

Guys in your opinion which class of amps sound better? Class "D" or "A/B"

BTW I have ML source 4ohm speakers

2-channel power amplifier
• 250 watts x 2 channels high performance audio amplifier
• 500 watts x 2 channels 4 ohms
• Class D energy efficient design
• 12 volt trigger
• Five way binding posts

or

Classic Stereo Power Amplifier
• 2 x 200 watts @ 8 Ohms
• low magnetic field toroidal transformer
• high-current bipolar output transistors
• balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA connectors

as the others have said your ears need to make to choice but one Class D 'hybrid' I have auditioned in my own system and thought highly of .................

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Medusa.htm

You're on to something there Dave. Mark O'Brien is using a similar Hypex module and implementation in the Medusa as what I have in my hybrid AURALiC Merak monoblocks, although with some different tweaks on the Class A front end. I once was not a fan (at all) of Class D amplifiers, and now I find myself owning a pair. Technology marches on, and this is an area of much current (no pun intended) development in our audio world.

To the OP, I agree with all others here - only you can decide what sounds right to your ears, and you have to understand how much your choice of speakers, your room, partnering equipment and even incoming power can influence your perception of same. Visit your local friendly dealers and start arranging some in home auditions to find out what is right for you.

as the others have said your ears need to make to choice but one Class D 'hybrid' I have auditioned in my own system and thought highly of .................

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Medusa.htm

I will be trying out the Rogue Medusa because I can do that in the UK, but the Arion that I mentioned, all those who compared it to Merrill (a hypex product much more expensive than the Medusa) preferred the Arion. Said the hypex were thinner sounding. Tough thing for me to audition the Arion here. Also the chassis is too small and shun mooks won't fit under it.

Said the hypex were thinner sounding.
One man's "thin" is another man's accurate, Kedar.

2gsmrys.jpg

Latest posts

Back