Should I be concerned about Timbre Matching my Center channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccc11223

Reaction score
My current system is the Martin Logan MLT-2. This is the entry level 5.1 Martin Logan system that can be found for about 300 dollars now adays. I love the speakers with my marantz sr6008, and am about to make the upgrade to the Martin Logan EFX as my front channel speakers. I know they won't sound quite as good as a floor standing electrostatic off the wall, but for my room wall mounting is really the only option. I can then use my current MLT-2 front channels as front height speakers to setup a 7.1 system. Standard surround back channels aren't available as my couch is against the back wall. My question is about matching my center channel to the new EFX. I haven't purchased the EFX yet, but want to know if anyone has any experience upgrading front channel speakers to electrostatic and using a much cheaper center channel. I know I'm going to ultimately end up upgrading my center to the Motif X, but that's not in my budget right now. I want to know if I'm going to run into problems with timbre matching or if anyone has made an upgrade like this without much issue.

Ps. My next upgrade is either going to be the motif x or the depth i. Any suggestions as to which of these is more important to upgrade.

Thanks,

Any advice is appreciated

I don't actually have any real experience with those speakers, but I would bet you'll have some tonal difference. Try it and see. If it is annoying, upgrade it when you can. If the center is close enough, you're going to get the most benefit from a good sub.

I want to know if I'm going to run into problems with timbre matching or if anyone has made an upgrade like this without much issue.
If you calibrate using the Marantz' Audyssey XT32, you may find that you don't have a noticeable timbre match issue. Give it a try.

My question is about matching my center channel to the new EFX.

I can sell you my pair of EFX when I get back to Cali on the 10th of November. I do not have the original boxes but our UPS store packs it themselves and insures.

I paired these with a Motif X and the tonal match was fine (I guess) in fact, the folded motion tweeter is supposedly tonally matched to electrostatic panels.

You need a sub with the EFX negating it's footprint advantage over towers. Hence why I'm going with used Ethos

EFX + Depthi = $3800

Ethos = $3800

I'm pretty sure the Ethos alone will sound better with its larger panel, integrate better using two 8" subs attached and leave the same footprint than that gigantic brick + your EFX. You're walls will be happy as well

Back