Rmaf 2014

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zu/Absolare/Schroeder

Zu Audio was exhibiting in another room with Schroeder and Absolare. The Absolare electronics remain one of the sexiest lines of gear I've seen all wrapped in stitched leather. Playing some great acoustic Jazz driven by these electronics the Zu's did a great job with more acoustic, subdued fare as opposed to the room with the Peachtree front end.

Attachments

• DSC05825.jpg
    DSC05825.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC05826.jpg
    DSC05826.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC05827.jpg
    DSC05827.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC05828.jpg
    DSC05828.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC05829.jpg
    DSC05829.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 174
Project

I don't honestly even remember what else was in this room, or how it sounded, I just really liked the look of this top of the line Project turntable (I think it's the RM-20?). I'd seen it in pictures, but never in person and the pictures don't do it justice.

Attachments

• DSC05836.jpg
    DSC05836.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 181
Hola Roberto, my friend! Contrary to some opinion the words "budget" and HiFi can indeed work in the same sentence, although it may be hard to quantify or put in context. If I were to say in absolute terms, the Benchmark SMS1's (formerly Studio Electric), I'd mentioned in post #36 are an absolute bargain at $2650.00, and they sound fantastic - very much in the league of many speakers I've heard costing up to $6000.00 or so. Not analytical or too romantic, they just make music. Another would have to be the Dynaudio Xeo 6 system in post 31, but it's pretty much limited to computer audio or other digital inputs (a BluRay player for example), I don't believe it had any analog inputs on the wireless transmitter - but I could be wrong.

In another vein entirely, I was very impressed with the pairing of the new Peachtree Audio Nova 220SE with these Zu Audio Druid speakers for a full package at around $7000.00 - just plug in your computer or turntable and you're all set. Hard to say how they would sound with all types of music, but with the House/Trance/Alternative they were playing when I was in the room they were incredibly punchy with a HUGE soundstage. My only complaint after being in this room twice was that they were playing the system entirely too loud, but with the right music it was really fun.

While it's hard to call an $18K set of speakers a bargain, I'd have to say that one of my favorite rooms overall for sound quality and pure musical enjoyment was probably the AURALiC room with the YG Acoustics Carmel speakers in post 18. This system seemed to just gel in a holistic fashion.
Wow Tim, you made your homework with an A+, and listening all over. I will do my best to assist at the next RMAF, and if you have a little time, to enjoy again your hospitality and to listen your system. I would be something! I agreed with you with Peachtree, the price is just right!.

How do you compare the ExaSound e22 with the Benchmark with DSD digital processors? Did you have the change to listen to both? I have a friend here who is using an Exasound e22 here, and I was very impressed by the sound quality. Also I am an owner of the Benchmark DAC One, and made some comparisons between it and my other DAC M-DAC. I did mod at the analogue stage of my M-DAC, and I am liking better this little bargain M-DAC. But also I do know it does not belong to the bigger leagues...

For us, here in Costa Rica, to be exposed to all the quality stuff that you listened, is like being in heaven!

Thanks for your valuable time Tim, and for your ears!!!! We are enriching our knowledge through you. Thanks again!!!
Warm regards from Costa Rica, my dear friend!

Yes, it's pronounced just the way it looks, and yes they do a pretty funny job of leveraging that name into their advertising ("this is some serious Schit", "Go Ape-Schit"). I get it and would probably take the same approach if I were working in their Marketing Department. They have always been known for their down to earth pricing, offering seriously good stuff for remarkably low money (such as their Loki DSD DAC for $149.00). This year though they launched their new flagship products. The names can only be properly pronounced if you are a Viking, but the Yggdrasil DAC ($2299) and Ragnarok Headphone Amp ($1699) are intended to be all out, end game components. I didn't get to listen for very long at the Can Jam booth, but I'd really like to try this combination with my Audezee LCD-3's.

Tim,

Sorry, but another small correction. Schiit is spelled with (2) i's not (1).

Thanks again for the fantastic write up and pictures!

Tim,

Sorry, but another small correction. Schiit is spelled with (2) i's not (1).

Thanks again for the fantastic write up and pictures!

Yeah, sometimes I post too fast, and it might be from my iPad, and I'm a bit thick at times, so there are these sorts of errors. Thanks for the catch, I'll fix it as soon as time allows. Glad you're enjoying the overall content though.

Back