Ethos vs Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryfl1

Reaction score
Hi all

I need some help on a decision that I know is totally subjective

I am trying to decide on ethos vs montis

90+% will be tv/video use as it's our family room and tv is always on

I would like to save the $ if possible but don't want to be sorry later

Will be using stage x center and have a sub velodyne dd10

Room is 20x17. And sitting about12-13 feet from tv and speakers

Rears are some older scripts

Thanks for any comments/thoughts

answers easy ...............buy the Ethos and by all means given your room size, a DD15 (or two DD10's) at a minimum

answers easy ...............buy the Ethos and by all means given your room size, a DD15 (or two DD10's) at a minimum

thanks for the quick reply...

do you feel there is a noticeable difference in the speakers ? for the use i will be using?

if i will hear a difference it may be worth taking the hit...if i will never hear a difference..or its negligible then its a no brainer...

i currently have b&w cm9 and changing to the ethos or montis...

if you were 90% music then Montis without question but you're so heavily skewed towards videos (movies) that's why I suggest saving $$ on L/R speakers and improve your inadequate bass with additional sub.

Now if your budget allows by all means Montis and better subs. Also as Bernard asks ...............amplification ?

I second Dave's recommendation of the Ethos. It will cost you nearly 50% more to get the Montis over the Ethos. Since you will be using a DD10 sub the lack of bass on the Ethos will be covered. Not to be too analytical your panel on the Ethos has 82% of the Montis surface area. The 90% usage for TV also plays heavy in my recommendation. I often say Movies are easy since nothing is real but music is hard. If you can find a place with both operational, listen to both with a sub. And as Roberto would say trust your ears. I would say also feel your pocketbook.

Gary

I had more or less the same "problem" - only that I want to use it for 50% music and 50% movies/netflix. For me the room size and the panel improvements over the Ethos made the choice easy. I didn't want the extra money to be a show stopper. You live only once - and the music matters!! Also, the Montis can be ordered in fine black cherry gloss finish, which blend nice in the living room. The integration between the bass and the panel is also reported to be very well implemented for the Montis.

I was going to order a emotiva xpa-7 today for it

ok choice??? price point is nice

thanks

Larry
I'm not familiar with Emotiva, but it does have its proponents here. Others here have had problems with the brand.

For the $3K+ difference in price between the Ethos and Montis you could get some good amplification, especially if you are not averse to buying used.

Last edited:
Well the decision was made for me. The order already went in so too late to change

Montis it is for me :)

What speaker wires does everyone recommend?

I have an older set of miterminator2 that is biwire (use into single post?)or I can get a deal on a older never used monster 2.2 or buy something different ??

What's the thoughts on the wires what should I use or buy?

Good choice. That's the model I would have chosen.
I use Anti-Cables Level 3, as per a recommendation by MiTT. I've been very satisfied with them. They aren't terribly expensive and I don't think that they color the sound. Others here have recommended Blue Jeans Cable, with which I have no experience, but they describe it as being good quality and reasonably priced.

I'm not familiar with Emotiva, but it does have its proponents here. Others here have had problems with the brand.

For the $3K+ difference in price between the Ethos and Montis you could get some good amplification, especially if you are not averse to buying used.

what recommendations on amplifiers for my setup?

I will be running 7ch setup
montis main
stage x center
scripts on rear
other for the additional 2 channels

my main concern is to cover the front 3 properly...but the scripts are panels also..so i guess 5 of the 7

any recommendations?

thanks

montis main
stage x center
scripts on rear

my main concern is to cover the front 3 properly...but the scripts are panels also..so i guess 5 of the 7

any recommendations?

thanks

Congratulations with the Montis!

wires: I decided myself to keep the old speaker cables for now - and invest in power cables + netfilter for the Montis. The "problem" is that the Montis are very transparent, and you can hear any noise on the net without the filter. Furthermore, the power cables are handy due to both the active sub and the panel that requires "right" delivery of power.

If the Montis are matched with the proper amplifier, you get the 3D effect anyway - so I would have matched them with a 2 channel amplifier that can properly handle these speakers :) I don't know about any surround amplifier that can be matched with them, but hopefully there are several persons her with some knowledge.

montis main
stage x center
scripts on rear

any recommendations?

thanks
I'm a 2-channel guy (my HT is a 32" TV; period), so I can't suggest a 7-channel amp.

Congratulations with the Montis!

wires: I decided myself to keep the old speaker cables for now - and invest in power cables + netfilter for the Montis. The "problem" is that the Montis are very transparent, and you can hear any noise on the net without the filter. Furthermore, the power cables are handy due to both the active sub and the panel that requires "right" delivery of power.

If the Montis are matched with the proper amplifier, you get the 3D effect anyway - so I would have matched them with a 2 channel amplifier that can properly handle these speakers :) I don't know about any surround amplifier that can be matched with them, but hopefully there are several persons her with some knowledge.

what power cables do you recommend and what is a net filter?

what 2 channel amps do you like? i could always put a 2 or 3 channel covering the fronts and another amp covering the balance....it doesnt have to be a single amp..

Thanks

what power cables do you recommend and what is a net filter?

what 2 channel amps do you like? i could always put a 2 or 3 channel covering the fronts and another amp covering the balance....it doesnt have to be a single amp..

Thanks

A netfilter or a power bar filter the current and deliver “clean“ currents to the loud speakers and the amplifier. This ensures more dynamics for large loads like a Montis system requires (both panel and a 200W class D amp/active bass in Montis). A net filter prevent radio frequencies (or high frequencies) to reach your system. Especially electrostatic speakers like the Montis reveal distortion and hence require some filtering. For most box-speakers this effect doesn't really matter too much. Check out, for instance in-akustik (there are several other good brands) http://www.in-akustik.com/en/KuZ/produkte/artikel.asp?nav1=1_80&nav2=2_210&nav3=1490.

Amplifier 2-channel: There are two directions:

1) Tube amplifiers or SS amps with autotransformers: Cons: very silky sound - no harsh sounds - very musical. Because the speakers are very revealing, the effect is very good IMHO. Cons: frequency roll-off: You miss some high tones and hence the "famous" 3D effect on the Martin Logan speakers. Examples: Mcintosh Mc275, MA8000, Ma7900 etc. Audio Research or Primaluna.
2) A direct coupled SS amp that double the effect/W from 8 to 4 ohms, and from 4 to 2 ohms. Pros: Very good 3D effect, no frequency roll offs. Cons: Very harsh, and bad records are even worse. Requires a good pre-amp/tube to smooth out the harsh sounds. Examples: PassLabs, Accuphase etc.

Ok - my apologies for over simplifying the subject. There is never one version of the truth when it comes to amplification.

Last edited:
If you can, get the Emotiva XPA-2 for the pair of Montis and then a XPA-5 for the other channels. That should be plenty of power. Might cost something shy of $2000.

I use the Emotiva XPA-2 on my pair of Theos and will be getting a pair of Montis this week.

For cables, I highly recommend Transparent. I use a pair of their MusicWave Ultra speaker cables and interconnects. MusicLink Super Phono for my VPI turntable. The sound improved dramatically when I got rid of the MIT cables I was using. The bass is out of this world with Transparent.

Best of luck with your new system.

If you can, get the Emotiva XPA-2 for the pair of Montis and then a XPA-5 for the other channels. That should be plenty of power. Might cost something shy of $2000.

I use the Emotiva XPA-2 on my pair of Theos and will be getting a pair of Montis this week.

For cables, I highly recommend Transparent. I use a pair of their MusicWave Ultra speaker cables and interconnects. MusicLink Super Phono for my VPI turntable. The sound improved dramatically when I got rid of the MIT cables I was using. The bass is out of this world with Transparent.

Best of luck with your new system.

I already ordered a xpa7 so hopefully it wont be too much of a difference...

i plan on using the spa-7 for now

I am going to eventually do atmos so it will be 9 channel so i figure i can add a xpa2 for the mains...and let the xpa7 service center and all 6 surrounds...

Thanks

Sounds like a great plan! Let us know what you think of the XPA-7.

I already ordered a xpa7 so hopefully it wont be too much of a difference...

i plan on using the spa-7 for now

I am going to eventually do atmos so it will be 9 channel so i figure i can add a xpa2 for the mains...and let the xpa7 service center and all 6 surrounds...

Thanks

Back