Which CLS is best?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iansr

Reaction score
I am looking to buy some CLS but I am in a quandary as to which model I should go for. I would therefore welcome comments from people who have experience of listening to more than one of the models. In a nutshell, is there a consensus on which model is best?

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

The very first model was probably the most transparent without a panel section dedicated to the bass region..

Subsequent models, 2A, 2B, and the final Z model have this panel feature and are different flavors of the original with the same "basic" sound. All iterations were an attempt to make them more "amp friendly" but all still are a difficult speaker to drive.

My suggestion. Find one with the newest panel and defer the panel replacement cost to a later date, which is not cheap. About $3K or so.

GG

Just what Gordon said. All models different are basically the same, just try to find a pair in good condition or if you prefer panel replacement buy the cheapest ones.

There are different flavors but best is always matter of personal preference.

I am looking to buy some CLS but I am in a quandary as to which model I should go for. I would therefore welcome comments from people who have experience of listening to more than one of the models. In a nutshell, is there a consensus on which model is best?

I do not have experience listening to more than one CLS model. Based on my experience with one CLS and the information i have read intermittently over approaching twenty years about different CLS models, i would rank them like follows. Again this is my personal subjective opinion and not an objective assessment.

1. CLS 2z
2. CLS 1 type 2
3. CLS 2a ( resistance at high frequency's under 1 ohm )
4. CLS 2 ( resistance at high frequency's under 1 ohm)
5. CLS 1 type 1 ( without vertical bass panels )

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm also considering the possibility of DIYing a pair - will start a new thread on that.

Back