Newbie - Motion 8 or Motion 30

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhakaas

Reaction score
Hello Fellow MLOs,

Newbie Home Theater Enthusiast and a new (2 days old) Martin Logan owner here. Just got approved to the group a few hours ago - so new kid on the block too! :cool: - that said, this is not a newbie intro. I really need some advise from the experts here...

During a local store closure, I picked the following Martin Logan Motion speaker configuration (floor models) for deep discounts on Wednesday evening:
  • Martin Logan Motion 40 standing speakers
  • Martin Logan Motion 8 center speaker
  • Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelf rear speakers
  • Martin Logan Motion Dynamo 500 subwoofer.
  • Denon AVRX-1100W Receiver

Talking to someone with tons of knowledge about speakers (not necessarily Martin Logan but a general audiophile), I was advised that I should have picked Martin Logan Motion 30 for center speaker instead of Motion 8. Unfortunately the store didn't have floor models for ML Motion 30 so I'd have to buy it at full price. I am a newbie (haven't owned superior quality speakers before) and definitely nowhere close to an audiophile so my question is:
  1. Do you have a Motion 8 center (instead of Motion 30 center) with Motion 40 front speakers? If you do, what is your experience? Or is this a bad idea?
  2. Since they only have new Motion 30 speakers, if I return the Motion 8 and get a Motion 30, I would have to shell out $400 more (plus taxes). Is it worth the $$ or should I stick with Motion 8 for center? (remember I am a newbie with home theater systems so I don't know if this is an overkill).

Please advise. Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on your new system. It should bring you a lot of joy. Your audiophile friend is correct in that the Motion 30 would have brought better balance on the front end. How will you be using your system? Mostly for movies? For 2 channel music and some movies? For 5.1 music such as SACD and DVD-A?

Only if you answer yes to the 5.1 music would I say bust your budget and get the motion 30. Otherwise there should be nothing grossly wrong with using the Motion 8.

Gary

Thanks Gary - after spending several hours reviewing tons of posts on AVSForum and other sites (incl. MLO), I reached to a conclusion that the Motion 30 is indeed the right center speaker to go with the Motion 40s (FL/FR) and Motion 4s (RL/RR) however given that I have got $400 worth Motion 8 speaker for $250 AND that there are tons of people out there who are very satisfied with the config, I will go ahead and give it a try. If there is a marked deterioration or significant issue, then I'll sell the speaker (I see similar speakers on eBay for $200) and upgrade at that point. I don't see why I should return this right away without even trying and spend $400 more for something I don't know I really need. That said, I greatly appreciate the feedback that you provided, all valid points.

Yes, give the Motion 8 a try. I use it as my center channel with a pair of Motion 12 floor standing speakers. The Motion 40s replaced the 12s...so very similar in power and sound. I have Motion 2s in the rear. I never have a problem hearing the dialogue in movies since getting the Motion 8. It can thump.

As a future next upgrade, I'd recommend a Depth i subwoofer. I have one too and it really is great and has the power to shake the photos off the walls. And now you can still get them new for about $1200 or less. It would be something you could continue using if say you upgraded your front L/R to electrostatics down the road. If that is too much Maybe a Dynamo 700.

Latest posts

Back