Panic Attack !!! ML Odyssey 220v is 110v

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check the light switch SX2 in the schematic below and the ten screw terminal connections from the red & black zip cord wires coming out of the bias board to the blue LED. You may have already shorted out the transformer or damaged the triggering circuit on your bias boards by using a step down power source to power a high voltage supply for which it was not intended.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14528&d=1317679243

Can I fix that by myself? Is that complicate?

Referring to the schematic for Odyssey, switch SX2 is in series with LED1. Where exactly are you measuring 1.5-2.9V? At CONX4?

2.9VDC should be plenty for that LED. What is 'small bulb'?

I'm not sure if this is the SX2 switch, I mean this little switch on the Powerboard biside the exit to the LED connector wires

I think some resistor or diode is gone. Stators are also not disconnect selves after turned off the amp...
maybe I'm wrong but after amp turned off I can hear in the bottom part the panel gently noise. After music on the panels start working after maybe 2 seconds. I not sure or that is ok?

Don't jump to any conclusions. What is 'gently noise'? Quiet music from the ESL? (normal) Faint squeeking and whistling? (normal)

It may take several minutes (depending on the actual values of the two 'timing' caps) for the music sensor to disconnect and power down the PS. But the ESL panel will hold enough charge for days to still make sound.

Hola. What you are listening is the residual noise of your power amp. This noise is harmless, because you had turned off the amp. The power supply of the amp, had discharged it's energy, and the residual noise (signal to noise ratio) is still present, due to the capacitors. . The Odysseys stat panels remain charged for over 20 minutes of more. You can unplugged them from the mains AC power cord and you will listen for some time, the panels singing. The panels are like a big capacitor. They remain charged for some time. This is normal.

Hola. What you are listening is the residual noise of your power amp. This noise is harmless, because you had turned off the amp. The power supply of the amp, had discharged it's energy, and the residual noise (signal to noise ratio) is still present, due to the capacitors. . The Odysseys stat panels remain charged for over 20 minutes of more. You can unplugged them from the mains AC power cord and you will listen for some time, the panels singing. The panels are like a big capacitor. They remain charged for some time. This is normal.

Thanks.
I was panicking again. :eek: I thought that something is wrong...

Good.
Back to why the LEDs aren't working: maybe switch SX2 is dirty, or there is a bad connection in there somewhere. But you can confirm the panels are charging up HV by listening to them very closely with nothing playing, and you should hear some faint squeeks somewhere on the panel.

Good.
Back to why the LEDs aren't working: maybe switch SX2 is dirty, or there is a bad connection in there somewhere. But you can confirm the panels are charging up HV by listening to them very closely with nothing playing, and you should hear some faint squeeks somewhere on the panel.

That switch SX2 doesn't work automatically just working by manual and that even is not enough power for blue light.
You have a right it can be dirty. I have to check all the options ...

Hi,
I found another difference on the power board, perhaps that affect blue logo light wich is not display... can u guys make good quality picture Odyssey power board, or tell me what resistor is there?

Hi,
I found another difference on the power board, perhaps that affect blue logo light wich is not display... can u guys make good quality picture Odyssey power board, or tell me what resistor is there?

Can you post a good picture from the rear of your power board to figure out the schematic lines at the R47 missing resistor location.

Can you post a good picture from the rear of your power board to figure out the schematic lines at the R47 missing resistor location.

resistors on your board R1 and R3 they look like different stripes color than on my power board

Last edited:
It appears as if all three resistor locations are wired in parallel to the LED terminal block from the NPN bipolar junction transistor Q2. Your power board has a 2K-ohm resistor in R1 position and a 6.2K-ohm resistor in position R3 while the other European power board has an extra 2K-ohm resistor wired in the R47 position with the other values being the same. You may want to use a diode or led tester to actually check the blue led for function while the wires are disconnected, then check the output voltage of your power transformer feeding into the music sensor circuit and high voltage multiplier. I assume the red led is working on your power board and you've pressed the bypass test switch next to these resistors?

That switch SX2 doesn't work automatically just working by manual and that even is not enough power for blue light.

When you say "not enough power for blue light," do you mean that the blue LED is on, but just dim? Because those early blue LEDs are normally quite dim, in addition to having a narrow viewing angle, and maybe you just can't see it illuminated properly in the daylight?

It appears as if all three resistor locations are wired in parallel to the LED terminal block from the NPN bipolar junction transistor Q2. Your power board has a 2K-ohm resistor in R1 position and a 6.2K-ohm resistor in position R3 while the other European power board has an extra 2K-ohm resistor wired in the R47 position with the other values being the same. You may want to use a diode or led tester to actually check the blue led for function while the wires are disconnected, then check the output voltage of your power transformer feeding into the music sensor circuit and high voltage multiplier. I assume the red led is working on your power board and you've pressed the bypass test switch next to these resistors?

So I'll put in the R47 2K Ohm resistor with the same watts as R1&R3. Is that correct?:confused:

When you say "not enough power for blue light," do you mean that the blue LED is on, but just dim? Because those early blue LEDs are normally quite dim, in addition to having a narrow viewing angle, and maybe you just can't see it illuminated properly in the daylight?

No, blue Led is not working at all just small Led connect directly to Led out on the Power Board is dim. But only when I push in the switch on Power board by myself.

So I'll put in the R47 2K Ohm resistor with the same watts as R1&R3. Is that correct?:confused:
The missing resistor is not the problem. If the red led on the power board is illuminating faintly only when the micro switch is pressed, your music sensor circuit is not activated, assuming you have the speaker wires connected to the music sensor terminal block connector with music playing? I would check both voltage outputs of your transformer on the secondary side before going any further. Here's a schematic of a ML power board to give you an idea of how the system operates.

Attachments

• Martin Logan Power Supply Board Schematic 120V.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 105
the red led is working on power board when I plug in the 220v power wire just for few seconds . And when I pressed the bypass test switch than tester diode working but is not stability is (dim)

Back