Panic Attack !!! ML Odyssey 220v is 110v

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris K

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just bought ML Odyssey from ebay.com :music: still not arrive but they'll hope :confused:
The question is;
voltage on the Odyssey is 110v and 220v is in Ireland
Can I use (Yellow builder with 2x5 pin plug) transformer? :p
Or do I should to buy a special transformer?
Or do I should to buy nev crossovers from ML?

Thanks for help :rocker:

At some point in time, ML caved to the demands of their foreign dealers and put in a circuit which prevented the PS from working on 50Hz (so sneaky foreigners and expats could not just buy a cheap US model anymore). But I think Odyssey was earlier, so you might get away with just using a 220V to 110V step down transformer.

Chris, please don't take offence, but from your questions I suggest that you use the services of a qualified technician, for your own safety and that of your speakers.

Last edited:
Chris, please don't take offence, but from your questions I suggest that you use the services of a qualified technician, for your own safety and that of your speakers.

Yes, agree.

But as Tosh said - ML have snagged us and protected their ripoff distributors by sensing frequency with line voltage differences, so you can't use a transformer.

The only way out of this is to:

1. Buy an expensive power regenerator that allows you to alter line frequency
2. Replace the HV board in the speakers (by buying from your "friendly" distributor at much inflated prices), in order for him to still get his cut and you end up paying close to what you would have paid anyway.
3. Buy your speakers from your local distributor and enjoy paying 3x the cost that our friends in the US get them for.

Crazy world we live in.

Can prob be done for under $50? 240VAC to 12VDC converter -> 12VDC to 110VAC/60Hz low-wattage inverter like the kind you plug into a cig lighter outlet

Ok, I know that I have a stupid question, but I bought those speakers already and now I have to run them professional .
What exactly the parameters should have a transformer for odyssey (I can order that from electronics shop)

Thanks

240VAC to 12VDC converter -> 12VDC to 110VAC/60Hz ?
240VAC to 12VDC converter -> 12VDC to 110VAC/50Hz ? (If will be 50 Hz speakers will not work or they'll damage?)
how many watts should be on the converter?

Last edited:
Ok, I know that I have a stupid question, but I bought those speakers already and now I have to run them professional .
What exactly the parameters should have a transformer for odyssey (I can order that from electronics shop)

Thanks
I don't consider your questions stupid. They just indicate to me that you should not attempt to do any modifications to the speakers yourself, but instead use the services of a technician. There are high voltages in there that could easily result in your getting electrocuted.

But I think Odyssey was earlier, so you might get away with just using a 220V to 110V step down transformer.
Unless somebody knows something different?
So just use a basic 220 to 110 travel adapter...

Hola. I am with Tosh too. As he pointed out previously, I think that the Odysseys do not come with the 50Hz protection circuit. Just a regular transformer from 220 to 110 will do. They do not consume too much energy. They only need about 3 watts, not more. Any transformer will do. Happy listening!

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I'm looking forward for the speakers...

Finally I got speakers, just is one problem Martin Logan logo blue-light is not display in both speakers . Any one know why?

Any one know why?

We've already told you why.

The speaker is sensing 50hz when it expects 60hz and is not energising the circuit. It is my opinion that this is to protect the inflated price models prevalent in the worldwide distribution network.

See post #5 above for your options.

Last edited:
Also, because the Odyssey model is no longer available from ML, and the dealer is not covering any warranty, you could talk direct to the service department of Martin Logan. Ask Dana ( [email protected]) your problem. He will tell you what to do.

Finally I got speakers, just is one problem Martin Logan logo blue-light is not display in both speakers . Any one know why?
What power source are you using?
What does it say on the back of the speaker? 110V/60Hz?

Hi all,
I'm just bought ML Odyssey from ebay.com :music: still not arrive but they'll hope :confused:
The question is;
voltage on the Odyssey is 110v and 220v is in Ireland

Thanks for help :rocker:
I would not attempt to transform your speakers voltage input by external means because they were designed to operate on the two different voltages with some simple internal modifications. You will need to change your 110V power cables to the 220V power cables with the appropriate wall plug and modify your high voltage bias boards from the A to B jumper locations inside each speaker cabinet. This will require some solder skill to remove & re-solder the two 3W resistors on the high voltage bias printed circuit board after the AC mains input socket, from the A printed position to the B printed position to adapt them to work on the 220-voltage in Ireland.

What power source are you using?
What does it say on the back of the speaker? 110V/60Hz?

I'm use 100v 50Hz transformer.sound is ok but Martin Logan logo blue-light is not display in both speakers. Still waiting for inverter 12v to 110v 60Hz...

Back