Panic Attack !!! ML Odyssey 220v is 110v

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not attempt to transform your speakers voltage input by external means because they were designed to operate on the two different voltages with some simple internal modifications. You will need to change your 110V power cables to the 220V power cables with the appropriate wall plug and modify your high voltage bias boards from the A to B jumper locations inside each speaker cabinet. This will require some solder skill to remove & re-solder the two 3W resistors on the high voltage bias printed circuit board after the AC mains input socket, from the A printed position to the B printed position to adapt them to work on the 220-voltage in Ireland.
Are you sure about that? I'm ask because one power board is 379.21$:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is the answer from Dana from ML

"Your take on the situation is exactly correct and the issue you are running into is most likely as a result of your step down transformer not addressing the Hertz issue.

You can either acquire a step down transformer that allows you to adjust/set the Hertz level
we can start an RMA number for you and get the power supplies from your Odyssey back in here and converted to the proper Hertz level

The one other option would be to sell you a couple of new power supplies with the proper Hertz setting. Like this you would be prepared to use the speakers in either 110V regions or 240V regions."

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? I'm ask because one power board is 390$:rolleyes:
I'm 100% sure your bias boards can be converted to the 220 voltage standard if they appear like this one in the picture below. There's a jumper pin or two that looks like a 1/4-watt tan resistor with a single black band that needs to be relocated. If you can post a close up picture of your high voltage bias board front & back side it would help determine the actual locations for each resistor and jumper. You can just barely see the A & B jumper pin and 3W resistor locations in between the transformer and mains input connector on this European Odyssey board.

attachment.php

It is not the voltage. It is the 60Hz to 50Hz converter. My advise is, get Dana's option. Buy the two power supplies from him. They are not that expensive and you will be OK 220V @ 50Hz. If you do not supply the 50Hz frequency line, it will not work properly.

a few changes

af8a92a1-4034-42bd-87b0-dfe91d1cb21f_zps9c1fc77e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that's all I could see in comparison photos

Last edited:
It would be better to buy new but it doesn't hurt to try make few changes (with your assistance guys):cool:

It is not the voltage. It is the 60Hz to 50Hz converter. My advise is, get Dana's option. Buy the two power supplies from him. They are not that expensive and you will be OK 220V @ 50Hz. If you do not supply the 50Hz frequency line, it will not work properly.
The transformers have two primary windings and it's connected in parallel for 110V 60Hz US and in series for 220-230V 50Hz UK Europe.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...rtin-Logan-Aerius-i-New-HT-Board-Repair-HELP-!!

It would be better to buy new but it doesn't hurt to try make few changes (with your assistance guys):cool:
I would remove the two jumpers in the A-position, discard one and install the remaining one in the B-position. Then remove your 3W 2.4K 5% resistors from the outer section and remove the 3W 7.5K 5% resistors from the inner section. You will need to locate some metal oxide 3W 5K 5% power resistors and solder them to the inner positions around the mains input connector. These two 5,000-ohm power resistors provide a shunt filter for the zener diode loop that controls the output voltage of the transformer that feeds into the music sense circuit and high voltage multiplier.

Attachments

• Ody Bias.jpg
    Ody Bias.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 354
I'm use 100v 50Hz transformer.sound is ok but Martin Logan logo blue-light is not display in both speakers.
I'm curious how they can sound 'OK' if the blue light is not coming on, indicating that the bias supply is not working?

I'm curious how they can sound 'OK' if the blue light is not coming on, indicating that the bias supply is not working?

I think and is ok because sound is better than Sequel 2 , so I think it is ok, but I never before heard Odyssey

The transformers have two primary windings and it's connected in parallel for 110V 60Hz US and in series for 220-230V 50Hz UK Europe.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...rtin-Logan-Aerius-i-New-HT-Board-Repair-HELP-!!

I would remove the two jumpers in the A-position, discard one and install the remaining one in the B-position. Then remove your 3W 2.4K 5% resistors from the outer section and remove the 3W 7.5K 5% resistors from the inner section. You will need to locate some metal oxide 3W 5K 5% power resistors and solder them to the inner positions around the mains input connector. These two 5,000-ohm power resistors provide a shunt filter for the zener diode loop that controls the output voltage of the transformer that feeds into the music sense circuit and high voltage multiplier.

Ok , but what about the black amp? On my board markings are different than on your board

Ok , but what about the black amp? On my board markings are different than on your board
That's just a quad operational amplifier for the music sensor trigger circuit and the numbers often change due to different production runs. You can probably type in that number on the web and find five or more different substitute numbers that will still function in the same way.

If you have trouble locating the 3-watt metal oxide film power resistors in the 5K-ohm size you should be able to find them more readily available in the 5.1K or 5K1 size.

That's just a quad operational amplifier for the music sensor trigger circuit and the numbers often change due to different production runs. You can probably type in that number on the web and find five or more different substitute numbers that will still function in the same way.

If you have trouble locating the 3-watt metal oxide film power resistors in the 5K-ohm size you should be able to find them more readily available in the 5.1K or 5K1 size.

and what about the blue light is not coming on, u think and the bulbs are gone or that is because Hz and Voltage problem?

and what about the blue light is not coming on, u think and the bulbs are gone or that is because Hz and Voltage problem?
I would check the light switch SX2 in the schematic below and the ten screw terminal connections from the red & black zip cord wires coming out of the bias board to the blue LED. You may have already shorted out the transformer or damaged the triggering circuit on your bias boards by using a step down power source to power a high voltage supply for which it was not intended.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14528&d=1317679243

I would check the light switch SX2 in the schematic below and the ten screw terminal connections from the red & black zip cord wires coming out of the bias board to the blue LED. You may have already shorted out the transformer or damaged the triggering circuit on your bias boards by using a step down power source to power a high voltage supply for which it was not intended.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14528&d=1317679243

Hi,
thank you for advice! Everything works great except blue logo light . What voltage should go out on blue light?

I push the switch SX2 than I had between 1,5v to 2.9v it was not stability. That not enough for blue light. I connect small bulb and the light was flashing when SX2 presset. Without press SX2 is no power for bulb... Any ideas?

Thanks

Referring to the schematic for Odyssey, switch SX2 is in series with LED1. Where exactly are you measuring 1.5-2.9V? At CONX4?

2.9VDC should be plenty for that LED. What is 'small bulb'?

Referring to the schematic for Odyssey, switch SX2 is in series with LED1. Where exactly are you measuring 1.5-2.9V? At CONX4?

2.9VDC should be plenty for that LED. What is 'small bulb'?

smal bulb (LED)
yes CONX4

I think some resistor or diode is gone. Stators are also not disconnect selves after turned off the amp...
maybe I'm wrong but after amp turned off I can hear in the bottom part the panel gently noise. After music on the panels start working after maybe 2 seconds. I not sure or that is ok?

Last edited:
Back