Before investing funds in a new system, what rank do you give to amplifiers, loudspea

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Before investing funds in a new system how do you rank audio gear for investment?

When i buy a new system i arrange in the following decreasing order of
importance audio gear:

1. Loudspeakers
2. Amplifiers
3. Source
4. Cables

Therefore from the total i would spend most on loudspeakers and least on cables.

Thanks for any ideas that may be brought to the foreground!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same order. The weights I'd assign are:

30 speakers 25 amp 20 source 15 preamp 10 room acoustics etc

It all depends on synergy. I don't think you can really say one has more impact than the other. An amplifier (for instance) paired with hard-to-drive speakers will have far more impact on the overall sound than an amplifier with a an easy-to-drive pair.

I'd put room acoustics first at 50.

The reason I say that is that I'd certainly allow some of your budget to be allocated there - it is really important to get at least an adequate room.

Then choose speakers to suit the room, and finally - appropriate partnering equipment.

The source is also vital, but again - it's impact will depend on system synergy. If you like (and choose) exceptionally revealing equipment then the source will have a far greater impact on the end sound you hear than if you have a preference for warmer and more forgiving kit.

With source it depends - a lot of sources are very similar, but a very good source can add more to a system than an amplifier. Amps should be able to drive the speaker, obviously, but between usual suspects I would buy the best deal. With preamps, so people use passives, some bypass a pre, while some search for a really good pre. A really good active pre is worth it, IMO, but in its absence, I wouldn't fuss too much over the pre but get the best deal, preferably have both pre and power of the same brand to have synergy. But if you are strapped for funds, buy a source with a volume control and bypass the pre, upgrade to a good pre when you get the cash.

Cables, upgrade from basic stock cables. Keep out cables that do something wrong. Lowest priority

Putting shun mook diamond resonators under components makes a massive difference to the system, not something an amp or source could add. It makes things more 3d, increases soundstage, cleans up bass, separates vocals from the music.

Do a lot of work on power.

Also, my personal experience is that having computerised audio makes one listen to more music, because downloads are easier to get and click through, unlike searching for CDs in the closet. So think about that when you buy the source.

Room acoustics are important if your room has a problem. Even otherwise, but some tend to spoil their sound because of the traps so be careful there.

But if you are strapped for funds, buy a source with a volume control and bypass the pre, upgrade to a good pre when you get the cash.

I'd just add that you need to be very careful doing this. While the results can be outstanding, they can also be very mediocre.

It all depends on synergy again - some sources have better amp-driving capabilities than others. Likewise, some amplifiers are easier to drive than others (input impedance).

Get it right and you'll never need a preamp. Get it wrong and you'll be running out to buy the first preamp you see within a week :)

Also, my personal experience is that having computerised audio makes one listen to more music, because downloads are easier to get and click through, unlike searching for CDs in the closet. So think about that when you buy the source.

+1

I'd go a step further and say that it'll change the way you use your music collection.

1. Source 30%
2. Electronics 30%
3. Speakers 30%
4. Cables/accessories 10%

I have belabored this idea time and time again. If you don't get the music off whatever you're listening to you'll never get it back. You can spend all the money in the world on the best speakers in the world but they can't reproduce what isn't there.

1. Source 30%
2. Electronics 30%
3. Speakers 30%

I have belabored this idea time and time again. If you don't get the music off whatever you're listening to you'll never get it back. You can spend all the money in the world on the best speakers in the world but they can't reproduce what isn't there.

Agreed. The old Linn ad, "Garbage In, Garbage Out" was dead on. I find it hard to assign percentages, though; it would depend on the overall budget.

1. Source 30%
2. Electronics 30%
3. Speakers 30%

Thanks for your valuable thoughts on the issue.

Pakistan needs a very large number of high end school teachers like yourself to allow the light to shine in dark heads.

Thanks for your valuable thoughts on the issue.

Pakistan needs a very large number of high end school teachers like yourself to allow the light to shine in dark heads.
I don't see the reason for the sarcasm.

You do not understand. i was complimenting risabet. The situation in Pakistan is very bad for education. If only we had the same quality and quantity of instructors in USA the downward trajectory of Pakistan might be halted.
OK, sorry. My mistake.

You do not understand. i was complimenting risabet. The situation in Pakistan is very bad for education. If only we had the same quality and quantity of instructors in USA the downward trajectory of Pakistan might be halted.

I took no offense. Thanks for the compliment!

Latest posts

Back