Preamp done, Amp done... Source/DAC next. Esoteric??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"the CLX's don't go down as deep as the Wilsons. Fact"

"To me, the fact that B&W just does not give out a lot of music is, well, a fact"

On the Wilsons vs. CLX's fact, yes. I have the Sasha 1's and they are -3dB at 20 Hz. I have CLX's and they are -3dB at 56 Hz. So it's a fact.

On the B&W's, this is your opinion. I like the B&W's nice sound. Warm and no fatigue. Just my opinion.

Gary

Last edited:
Joey, if you are still in shopping mode on speakers I'd recommend you give a listen to the KEF Blades ($30K) or the slightly smaller Blade II (~$22K I believe). If and when I look for my next speaker they will be high on my list. I've yet to hear the Blade II's yet, but listening to the Blades in the same system against the CLX I was actually more drawn to the Blades. The CLX's were also playing with a pair of the big BF subs. The Blades were "naked" yet possessed a wholeness that the CLX's didn't quite manage. I know "thems hangin' words round these parts", but that's my impression from about an hour with the pair. From a price perspective including the 2 subs, the Blades were actually the less expensive set up. If you read up on the design process for the Blades you'll come to understand that they effectively present themselves as a single point source. Very much worth an audition in my opinion.

If you are going to be here in Denver next week for RMAF, let me know. I'do love to buy you a drink and catch up. I haven't seen you since we were in Lawarance, KS many moons ago.

Attachments

• DSC00594.jpg
    DSC00594.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00592.jpg
    DSC00592.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
But there are some facts which don't depend on preference. For example, the CLX's don't go down as deep as the Wilsons. Fact.

while the CLX's won't go as deep, when paired with competent subs (as intended) they will easily better any Wilson set up at their respective price points.

at least they look a darn sight better than the "rubbish bin" Wilsons!

LOL Adam………. my thoughts as well, most of them remind of trash cans at an amusement park from the sixties ! While I've enjoyed the music they put forth I've always thought they could be equaled or bettered at a lower price point, not to mention the looks !

Off to chicago in 4 days for family and my daughter's baptism, will stop by Quintessence Audio to listen to SF Strads.

Enjoy yourselves……….I'll be in town Sunday, dinner @ 'Gibsons'

ML's just sound pretty righteous to me. There are a few things I don't like about it and these are things that I have realized as I experienced more and more equipment and gear over the years. However, for what I like and for what I search for in a pair of speakers - they do a lot of things right. Voices just sound right, there's an envelope of sound that covers you.

That said, that envelope of sound is also my issue - that back wave, to me, just feels like an artificial sound reproduction.... like it was never supposed to be there in the recording in the first place. An anomaly. That's my biggest issue, but the sound itself, I like.

Joey, remember if the 'back wave' presents that much of an influence then the speaker is not set up correctly with respect to the room it's in.

while the CLX's won't go as deep, when paired with competent subs (as intended) they will easily better any Wilson set up at their respective price points.

LOL Adam………. my thoughts as well, most of them remind of trash cans at an amusement park from the sixties ! While I've enjoyed the music they put forth I've always thought they could be equaled or bettered at a lower price point, not to mention the looks !

Enjoy yourselves……….I'll be in town Sunday, dinner @ 'Gibsons'

Joey, remember if the 'back wave' presents that much of an influence then the speaker is not set up correctly with respect to the room it's in.

Pops,

Thanks! Gibson's for dinner on sunday - sounds like you're in for a treat! Sunday we have baptism, otherwise, I'd meet with you (but you're probably there for business).

Re the back wave - I hear ya... I'm looking to treat my room now. I should post a pic of my work in progress.

Joey, if you are still in shopping mode on speakers I'd recommend you give a listen to the KEF Blades ($30K) or the slightly smaller Blade II (~$22K I believe). If and when I look for my next speaker they will be high on my list. I've yet to hear the Blade II's yet, but listening to the Blades in the same system against the CLX I was actually more drawn to the Blades. The CLX's were also playing with a pair of the big BF subs. The Blades were "naked" yet possessed a wholeness that the CLX's didn't quite manage. I know "thems hangin' words round these parts", but that's my impression from about an hour with the pair. From a price perspective including the 2 subs, the Blades were actually the less expensive set up. If you read up on the design process for the Blades you'll come to understand that they effectively present themselves as a single point source. Very much worth an audition in my opinion.

If you are going to be here in Denver next week for RMAF, let me know. I'do love to buy you a drink and catch up. I haven't seen you since we were in Lawarance, KS many moons ago.

Tim!

Yeah we need to catch up - wont be RMAF next week because I'm headed to chicago, but someday I am sure we will meet again. it's just inevitable.

Re the blades, I can see how they can be real good. The front baffle is narrow, slopes around, the tweeter and midrange appear to be concentric... a recipe for success. Let me check 'gon. Do you know any dealers in chicago?

Hi! Joey_V.

Perhaps the most musical speakers and great in all respects i have the good fortune to listen to are Shahinian Acoustics.

Not that expensive either keeping high end prices in mind.

IMO whereas most loudspeakers produce computer designed sound the Shahinian is the only one that creates music.

And makes any type of music regardless of personal preference enjoyable to listen to.

Their main office is in New York.

If you have not heard Shahinians in full flow you have missed out on something wonderful.

Have fun!

Tim, interesting observation on the KEF's ……………. I've never given them a serious listen, I'll have to. FWIW, by the pics you provided the CLX position / set up was no where near optimal though.

In so far as RMAF……I'll be another year as a no-show, gonna be hanging out in the San Juan's (Durango area), riding steam trains and day hiking. Perhaps next year.

Tim, interesting observation on the KEF's ……………. I've never given them a serious listen, I'll have to. FWIW, by the pics you provided the CLX position / set up was no where near optimal though.

In so far as RMAF……I'll be another year as a no-show, gonna be hanging out in the San Juan's (Durango area), riding steam trains and day hiking. Perhaps next year.

Dave, I think Durango area is really cool. It may be somewhat of a tourist trap, but in a good way, I think. Sorry won't see you at RMAF!

Stopped by my local dealer in Dallas.... Alexia w/ D'Agostino preamp and stereo.....Audio Research CDP.

Sat down and played my current mix of demo tracks.

And I gotta say..... it's was alright. Just alright.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with me.

That's ok Joey, that's what makes this such a great hobby, everyone has their own tastes. From the responses, a lot of people don't care for the Wilson sound, but I say, to each his own. Another speaker brand that I highly enjoy, is Rockport. Their build quality is second to none and so is their sound. One I would recommend for $21.5K is the Atria..
http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...lign-rockport-technologies-atria-loudspeakers

Of course, they go up in price and performance from there. Whatever you end up choosing, best wishes.

Hi! Joey_V.

Perhaps the most musical speakers and great in all respects i have the good fortune to listen to are Shahinian Acoustics.

My experience, classical agreed.

Other types such as rock and roll, electronica, folk rock, not so much.

PS: Joey, a box type that I've always liked (quick, transparent, dimensional, full frequency, small foot print / big sound) is the Merlin top of the line. $12K +/-. See if you can hear those somewhere.

Last edited:
Dave, I think Durango area is really cool. It may be somewhat of a tourist trap, but in a good way, I think. Sorry won't see you at RMAF!

Steve, I've been going to that area of Colorado for over 38 years, yes I've seen the changes (post '89 after the quake in Ca brought in a large population of 'ideological misfits'), I just love the San Juan region of the rockies and they don't call Hwy 550 'the million highway' for nothing !

I'll depend on you, Tim and others to do your usual good reporting job of RMAF

My experience, classical agreed.

Other types such as rock and roll, electronica, folk rock, not so much.

PS: Joey, a box type that I've always liked (quick, transparent, dimensional, full frequency, small foot print / big sound) is the Merlin top of the line. $12K +/-. See if you can hear those somewhere.

Hi Gordon!
Glad you agree that Shahinian's recreate orchestral forces well.
Gordon you are always a life saver.
The one with the sincere and sound advice. Always.

Have Fun!

I had been chatting with Albert Porter about the Dali Megalines, and his Focal JM Labs Grand Utopia have still not got better than them. He is working on it.

Not to mention an Analysis Amphytryon, modded, that retails at 32k which IMO should outdo all.

Who is Albert Porter and what are you saying here? Don't understand - that the Focal Grand Utopia isn't as good as the Dali's?

What mods on the AAs? Crossovers?

Who is Albert Porter and what are you saying here? Don't understand - that the Focal Grand Utopia isn't as good as the Dali's?

AP is an audiophile here in Dallas who is known for his modified Dali Megalines. He has some tube crossover on them and he had them tweaked for years. He just acquired these Grandes III and it's not yet completely modified or tweaked to his liking. I have not visited with him just because I want to have my gear up and running first before headed there. He has a group come in every week for weekly meetings, sounds like a pretty swell guy.

Best I have heard the Grand Utopia with is with the Naim Statement amp. Pretty impressive demo. Better than Munich with Vitus amps.

The Dali looks like a ribbon hybrid. He's obviously missing the ribbon sound, LOL. I'm not surprised, but then I would say that. I think a well implemented full range planar magnetic speaker is right at the top of the food chain.

Get round there sometime and see what you think, definitely.

With regard to your source choice, I have owned the Esoteric D-07, D-05 and P-05 and will have the K-03 in a week. In my opinion, the K-03 is the best bang for your $. It has asynchronous USB input, and a built in volume/digital pre that's quite good and (as I understand it) is closer to the K-01 than the K-05 in sonic goodness. It also has the newer (and supposedly better) DAC chips than the D-03. Benefits are reported as better high end detail, more air, etc. Cost is probably about a wash. Another good choice would be the Playback Designs MPS-5 IMO.

As far as speakers, I've heard the Alexias in RMAF last year in 2 rooms and I was not overly impressed. However, when I heard them in Dallas, not only did they sound significantly better, but they had minimal resemblance to what I heard at RMAF (Note: Steve was almost drooling when we heard them). They were very good. From my experience, clearly, they are very sensitive to connected electronics.

In your budget, I would also suggest checking out the Vandersteen 7 (One of the most clear, spacious detailed yet pleasant tweeters I have ever heard, fantastic bass, highly adjustable), Evolution Acoustics MMtwo and Rockports (I think Steve already suggested them). All are rated as awesome speakers. I love TADs but they seem to be either below (Evolution One) or above (TAD reference) your $. Of course, I love my Ushers which I think rank higher than their price point. :D

Good luck in your search, with your budget, great dilemma to be in...

With regard to your source choice, I have owned the Esoteric D-07, D-05 and P-05 and will have the K-03 in a week. In my opinion, the K-03 is the best bang for your $. It has asynchronous USB input, and a built in volume/digital pre that's quite good and (as I understand it) is closer to the K-01 than the K-05 in sonic goodness. It also has the newer (and supposedly better) DAC chips than the D-03. Benefits are reported as better high end detail, more air, etc. Cost is probably about a wash. Another good choice would be the Playback Designs MPS-5 IMO.

As far as speakers, I've heard the Alexias in RMAF last year in 2 rooms and I was not overly impressed. However, when I heard them in Dallas, not only did they sound significantly better, but they had minimal resemblance to what I heard at RMAF (Note: Steve was almost drooling when we heard them). They were very good. From my experience, clearly, they are very sensitive to connected electronics.

In your budget, I would also suggest checking out the Vandersteen 7 (One of the most clear, spacious detailed yet pleasant tweeters I have ever heard, fantastic bass, highly adjustable), Evolution Acoustics MMtwo and Rockports (I think Steve already suggested them). All are rated as awesome speakers. I love TADs but they seem to be either below (Evolution One) or above (TAD reference) your $. Of course, I love my Ushers which I think rank higher than their price point. :D

Good luck in your search, with your budget, great dilemma to be in...

Thanks for the tip on the esoterics. I was now looking at the K1...

Re evo mm and vandersteen... You're not the first to recommend them so they must be good.

Rockports my dealer is getting.

And where is this update to the Summit X??

Thanks for the tip on the esoterics. I was now looking at the K1...

Re evo mm and vandersteen... You're not the first to recommend them so they must be good.

Rockports my dealer is getting.

And where is this update to the Summit X??

I'm not sure what your question is in regard to the Summit Xs. I had Summits and they were great speakers, but everything on your list in a step up IMO. BTW - I have heard the Rockport Aviors and Arrakis, another brand very sensitive to upstream electronics. They can sound dry and clinical without a well matched source, amp(s) and cables, but when they are set up right, boy do they sound fantastic.....

Good luck on the K1, I'd like to move up to it in a year or so. Supposed to be fantastic. Enjoy!

Sorry late response so might be out of sync with replies that followed. The Dali Megalines are the final speakers for some, their soundstage and ribbons (vocals etc) are superb. By modding the crossover, for which Albert porter did some research work and his crossover can be copied and reused, you get rid of one of their weaknesses which is some shrillness at the top. Apparently it makes things fall into place. Their low end is not low enough so a sub needs to be added. AP preferred it to his older Soundlabs which he modded for a decade. Dalis original cost is around 50k USD, but right now one is listed for sale in the UK for 11k, so should get it at 8kish.

The point I made was in response to the statement 'what is wrong with me', which I expanded to what is wrong with me that I don't like a speaker as expensive and reputed as the Wilsons. I had therefore listed some examples of cheaper products outdoing the costlier branded reputed ones which is a common thing in hifi, and many times what seems like an upgrade is actually not so. IMO when Joey auditions while he should expect to hear an improvement in CLX over Ethos, and in Alexia over Sophias, he should go with neutral expectations between a 6k Ethos and a 40k Alexia and a MBL, because all these do different things, and someone who prefers the Ethos might not prefer the Alexia and so on. So there is 'nothing wrong', as long as the expectations are neutral.

Back