Preamp done, Amp done... Source/DAC next. Esoteric??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to collect units for my upcoming system.

I have acquired a Cary SLP-05 preamp. I have also just recently this week acquired the Cary 211 Founders Edition mono blocks for my system as well (oh my goodness that was a heavy set of amps)... along with some SRA Ohio class amp stands.

Now, I'm looking at the source.

Initially I was looking at Cary 306 SACD Pro as an all in one system, it has a cdplayer, it also has a DAC unit with digital inputs that I could use a server type system on - similar to what I've done in the past.

However, I have stumbled onto a pair of Esoterics.

Does anyone here have first hand LONG TERM experience with Esoterics? I am looking at these Esoteric P03/D03 units. I know there are newer P01/D01 and P02/D02 since about 2-3 years ago, but those are essentially unreachable in price.

Thanks!!

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hi-fi-plus-the-esoteric-p-03-sacd-playerd-03-dac/

P1000160.jpg

As good as the Cary is, one would hope and expect this combo to out perform the 306, especially on the DAC side.

And it appears it has various upsampling options, which the Cary has which I've found extremely useful in tweaking the sound.

Last edited:
Yeah now the question is do I have the cajones to jump into the pool.

The other current alternative, with cosmetic issues, is a used dcs Pucchini for $10K available through Scott Walker Audio on the Gon.

For ultimate performance of this unit, you may wish to consider the corresponding "clock" unit, which is a bit pricey. However, talking with the dcs distributor / dealer, they have an alternate unit going for $1K that gets you very close sonically to the dcs unit.

Good luck doc.

GG

PS: Do you have your speaker system yet so you can listen to the Esoteric?

Last edited:
Try the Lampizator 7. The Esoteric/dCS and Lampi have different signatures, much like a Martin Logan and a box speaker. Just like some think Stats are better than much pricier boxes, the Lampi for those who like it is much better than these alternatives. I know someone who prefers it to his 35k MSB stack. That said, I know people who have that Esoteric model in extremely pricey systems (magico Q5, koda pre amp, etc) and are very happy with it. But one who has an Esoteric dac and another CLO TLX transport with a Kondo dac thinks Estoeric is too digital for him. Like I said, different sound signatures. I can't stand dCS

The world of digital sources changes quickly, so moreso than any other component, you're going to have to rely on your own ears. What sounded best to someone only a year ago could easily be surpassed today by something cheaper. Back when I bought my last dig source, I was looking at the DAC7 and Naim DAC, and then the M-DAC came along and surpassed (in some ways) both of them so I just bought it without a second thought.

Can you hear the Lampizator over there? I haven't heard it, but it sounds like it is worth hearing. What about the Perfectwave II?

The world of digital sources changes quickly, so moreso than any other component, you're going to have to rely on your own ears. What sounded best to someone only a year ago could easily be surpassed today by something cheaper. Back when I bought my last dig source, I was looking at the DAC7 and Naim DAC, and then the M-DAC came along and surpassed (in some ways) both of them so I just bought it without a second thought.

Can you hear the Lampizator over there? I haven't heard it, but it sounds like it is worth hearing. What about the Perfectwave II?

Hi just to clarify, your Dac7 is not the same as the Lampi Level 7, as that might be confusing. The Lampi is available in US and Europe, also Asia. Not sure about Australia. But I think given their service won't be surprised if they send you one an extended money back guarantee.

The thing is, all other dacs try to do similar things better, i.e. more detail, some sound digital and thin, some full bodied and analog, some more open etc. The Lampi being a NOS dac, and the level 7 allowing you to roll some exotic tubes (Western Electric and Emission Labs) to suit your sound, does things differently. Space, soundstage and musicality for me is much higher than others, and though I have never compared DSD, users and reviewers seem unanimous that the DSD on it is the best. It also is not a single bit or multi-bit dac - apparently no bit, and the DSD is chipless.

I haven't heard Perfectwave.

Isn't that the same as the directstream? If yes then two guys said it didn't compare

Isn't that the same as the directstream? If yes then two guys said it didn't compare

I made a horrible mess of that post sorry - thanks for correcting.

Yes, I meant Directstream, althouggh to confuse things further, there is also a PefectWave II.

And yes - I was talking about the ARC DAC7, not the Lampi Level 7.

:)

Gordon,

You have to know I appreciate all the little tips and PMs you give me.

I'm trying to narrow down my speaker choices.

Wilson Alexia used vs BW 800 Diamonds vs Sonus Stradivari.

Those are my top 3.

The other current alternative, with cosmetic issues, is a used dcs Pucchini for $10K available through Scott Walker Audio on the Gon.

For ultimate performance of this unit, you may wish to consider the corresponding "clock" unit, which is a bit pricey. However, talking with the dcs distributor / dealer, they have an alternate unit going for $1K that gets you very close sonically to the dcs unit.

Good luck doc.

GG

PS: Do you have your speaker system yet so you can listen to the Esoteric?

I made a horrible mess of that post sorry - thanks for correcting.

Yes, I meant Directstream, althouggh to confuse things further, there is also a PefectWave II.

And yes - I was talking about the ARC DAC7, not the Lampi Level 7.

:)

I originally owned the Dac 8 before replacing it with L5

Oh and just FYI, I'm on the prowl for a pair of used Vantages or legacy Summits for the family room.

Always be an ML fan at heart.

Read all the replies. This is new frontier for me since I've never had equipment at this level. I have heard of the Perfect Wave but not yet heard. I am familiar with ps audio however since I've had a Digital link III in the last and was looking at some of the regenerators such as the P10.

Dcs I am not familiar with just like the esoteric but I have heard of them.

I have heard some of the Boulder digital front ends with a full boulder system... My god man. Talk about a solid image.

Lampi I have never heard of. I am leary of too much tubes since I have the 05 and 211 already. I wanted a clean digital source to start.

Joey, if you can swing it, why don't you go to RMAF. You'll get to listen to lots of stuff there.

Last edited:
Hi, which speakers are these, Adam? They look a bit like the 350k Wolf Von Langa's at Munich, though this is just 1/3rd of the speaker

Gordon,

You have to know I appreciate all the little tips and PMs you give me.

I'm trying to narrow down my speaker choices.

Wilson Alexia used vs BW 800 Diamonds vs Sonus Stradivari.

Those are my top 3.

Joey, don't get the Alexias, because then, I would be jealous. Get one of those other two. :devil:

Hi, which speakers are these, Adam? They look a bit like the 350k Wolf Von Langa's at Munich, though this is just 1/3rd of the speaker

Shot at Munich for sure. I didn't like the speakers sonically but maybe somebody did.

I'd buy a DAC and feed it with a PC with an async USB interface, which kind of rules out the Esoteric. The Lampi has a very good USB interface. It is without doubt a great DAC, but hey, the D03 is probably awesome in a different way.

The Lampi does work in an all tube/valve system. But just go with your instincts maybe. It's just a personal learning trip and nobody is right or wrong. Within reason:)

Latest posts

Back