New Martin Logan Owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJoel

Reaction score
In June, I heard Martin Logans for the first time. This was actually the first time I'd heard an ESL. I was blown away. I'd never heard anything like it. I bought a pair of Ethos and the Stage X center. I've spent the last couple months in audio heaven. When I auditioned the Ethos, the dealer had them hooked up to a McIntosh MC5200. I went back to the store the day after my initial visit and brought my Oppo BDP-105 and a thumb drive of music and spent 4 hours putting them through their paces.

While I'm thrilled with their performance in my home (I currently have an Axiom A1400-8 amplifier), there was something about the McIntosh amp. that I cannot get out of my mind. A buddy of mine who was with me in the store feels the same way. The soundstage was vast. The MLs vanished. There was something else in the general audio quality that I can't articulate that was wonderful; musical. Anyway, I've been visiting the McIntosh dealer in town and I'm going to bring home an MC452 to audition in my system within the next couple weeks. I listen primarily to 2 channel music ("classical"/opera) so I want to devote this next purchase with 2 channel music in mind. I have some multi-channel recordings and, of course, my home theater. I'll use my current amp. for the extra channels.

I LOVE these speakers!!

The MA-5200 is not ideal for Martin Logan speakers due to the impedance swings. The MA-5200 is a 8 ohms amplifiers, while the nominal impedance for the ML Ethos is 4 ohms, with a swing down to 0,5 ohms for high freqs. While the Mcintosh is indeed a very musical and nice amplifier, I would recommend to go for a more powerful Mac with 2 and 4 ohms outputs. Some members would even recommend you stay far away from autotransformers due to high freq. roll offs (which applies to tubes and SS amps from Mcintosh :) ) However, I have yet to listen an amplifier that is more musical than the Mcintosh. You can play music all day long and never get tired. I believe this is quite unique for Mcintosh ;)

With a direct coupled SS amplifier that doubles the effect/watt from 8 to 4 ohms, and from 4 to 2 ohms - you get a more 3D like sound stage from your Ethos. However, the concern is that you risk harsh sounds and a less musical experience. An answer to this risk is to add a tube pre-amp to smoothen out the harsh sounds.

Last edited:
Getting the speakers to vanish is all about proper placement, room treatments and being in the sweet spot... Your soundstage will be very focused too. To me, this is part of the fun of owning ESL's.... getting them dialed in. McIntosh is a good match to ML's but there are lots of others too... and don't be afraid to buy used. Good luck and weclome aboard.. Glad you found us.

Try to audition a Pass Lab amp also before you pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Back