Tubed music server anyone?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike

Reaction score
What would happen if you use this tubed computer as your music server? Heck, why stop there? I'd think one could wire a couple banks of output tubes in parallel and feed to the speakers, in output-transformerless fashion. Logically, shortest signal path from source, directly to speakers. Volume is done in "digital" domain. Wonder if it'll sound more analogue like a turn-table?

tubed computer.jpg

With todays tube prices..... it would cost you about half a Million to retube (if the tubes were still available) the Eniac & it probably would not have enough processing power or sound like Sheyeit

besides the space & cooling requirements and dont forget Keep BUGS OUT of the Room!

After long reflection, I've decided to return to analog basics for my server device. Really basic basics. To that end I've been laboring manfully to employ a difference engine in my drawing room system.

28jyit.jpg

The details of inserting and extracting the musical content have proven deucedly difficult, and I worry that the difference engine in my drawing room may not sound quite the same as an identical engine in my study. Perhaps the clever chaps at Computer Audiophile can assist.

Meanwhile, I soldier on.

Last edited:
Perhaps the clever chaps at Computer Audiophile can assist.

Meanwhile, I soldier on.

With audiophiles' love of vintage equipment (turntables, valves, etc), (not criticising - I'm as tragic as the next), I wonder how long it'll be before the chaps on Computer Audiophile start to swear that 1994-vintage 486s sound far superior to today's computers.

I can just see it now - people stringing together banks of 120MB hard drives, swearing they sound "night and day" superior to modern SSDs.

With audiophiles' love of vintage equipment (turntables, valves, etc), (not criticising - I'm as tragic as the next), I wonder how long it'll be before the chaps on Computer Audiophile start to swear that 1994-vintage 486s sound far superior to today's computers.

I can just see it now - people stringing together banks of 120MB hard drives, swearing they sound "night and day" superior to modern SSDs.

Well, they do. Obviously.....:rolleyes:

Only if they're run off a battery power supply, Adam.

Back