Fuses

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
read the first sentence of the fifth paragraph, OMG, a true 'audio fool' !

Do you think it wasn't a long enough burn in? :ROFL:

Does seem peculiar that we put big honking power cords on stuff and then run it through a wire often about the size of a human hair.
I realize it's the length of wire run, but still. :confused:

Do you think it wasn't a long enough burn in? :ROFL:

Does seem peculiar that we put big honking power cords on stuff and then run it through a wire often about the size of a human hair.
I realize it's the length of wire run, but still. :confused:

Yep, and don't forget the 100s of kilometres of God knows what wire before your power cord too, shared with 100,000 other households and businesses.

Seriously - if you're paying either side of $10,000 for an amplifier and getting crap parts, then you're being ripped - no two ways about it.

I don't know what fuses I've got in my amp - but I do determine the holistic "overall" by listening, and trust that the manufacturer has used a fuse (whether good or otherwise) which gives the best ROI for that particular product.

That is not to say - of course - that it can't be improved. Of course it can. But more importantly, it is about ROI.

What return on investment can you get by changing fuses? And what return on investment can you get by changing amplifiers?

I think most people will agree that - in most cases - the latter will win every time. No manufacturer is going to sell [say] a $5,000 amplifier when they could command $10,000 for the same amplifier by spending an extra $100 on fuses.

The manufacturer should know what components will sound best in his amplifier. And if he doesn't, then it doesn't really say much for your amplifier design in general. I certainly wouldn't outlay more than $50 on an amplifier if I didn't have total confidence that the partiular piece of equipment was giving me the best ROI possible.

I really don't think big names like Classé, ARC, BMC, Ypsilon, Technical Brain, Lamm, Naim, et. al. are selling amplifiers which could be markedly improved by simple fuse changes!! If these fuses (or other accessories) improved thier products in any meaningful way, by that margin, they would most obviously build them into the design.

I have replaced the stock fuses in my preamp, phono pre, and HT amp (the Brystons do not use fuses) with HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses. These fuses cost between $50-$90, depending on size and where purchased. In every case, they have made a noticeable improvement in sound commiserate with the money spent. Do they make my Parasound JC3 sound like an ARC Ref2SE? No, but then I didn't have to spend $10,650 for the improvement, either (the difference in price between the two). In fact, I seriously doubt I could replace my phono preamp with another phono pre for a less than $100 net expenditure that would actually be an equivalent upgrade in sound. And I more seriously doubt that Parasound could charge any more extra than probably $100-$200 if they supplied their phono pre with HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses or some equivalent. Yet, I've found them to be well worth the money.

Think of the fuses in the same way as power cords. Even on the most expensive equipment, run-of-the-mill power cords are supplied with the unit rather than high quality cords. Does the equipment manufacturer do this because he thinks more expensive aftermarket cords won't make a difference? In some case the manufacturers have said yes, that's the reason why. In other cases, however, they have said no, the pedestrian power cord was supplied to keep costs down and the end user should feel free to use whatever power cord they see fit. Some even say the equipment will benefit from a better quality power cord. The point is, in every component that I've owned that has fuses the manufacturer uses cheap run-of-the-mill fuses that can be bought for $5 at your local hardware store. I can't comment on brands such as Boulder, DartZeel, Constellation, or MBL, but Cary, Parasound, and Theta do.

The only way I think (????) you could make a determination of any sonic difference is to install the fuse(s), listen to the system for an extended period, and then reinstall the stock fuses.

Exactly. The ultimate test is in the listening.

Last edited:
Anthony they can't believe what they don't want to try

Think of the fuses in the same way as power cords.

The ultimate test is in the listening.

Call me skeptical.

About a year ago a well known manufacturer of cables and chords came to my Vegas home and replaced all of my power chords and conditioners with their best. They put beautiful chords on my CLXs, Stunning chords on my Bryston 28B SST^2's, chords on my Meridian 861 v6, chords on my Meridian 621 etc... They plugged them all into "Power Cells" and then into the various circuits at home. The list price for all of this was approximately $30,000. Mind you we are talking only power not cable. The sound was stunning. Truly stunning! I critically listened for the 3 day weekend.

The problem or should I say there was no problem because I could not tell this new stunning sound from the stunning stock sound coming from the vendor supplied chords.

I'm not saying you cannot make a difference with a mod. I have successfully done mods on speakers including ML's but I am skeptical about fuses and power chords. Feel free to experiment as YMMV.

Gary

Gary, there was a huge, and expensive change in your system. It is tough to differentiate during that change, and frankly, even I am not that convinced about power chords. They don't work much in my place, but they work a lot in two dealers I know well who have very complete systems (which makes me accept that it is the fault of my system that they don't work).

However, the best thing about fuses is that the experiment has low cost. Given the cost of hifi and the relative cost of fuses, it is something I would just put in, while I would never buy a Valhalla on faith.

In all cases where I've tried out a fuse or power cord, it was on a 30-day trial basis, money back if not satisfied, unless I bought used (haven't bought, and won't buy, any used fuses). I have sent back some power cords. I haven't sent back any fuses yet, but if I try some that don't work for me, I will.

And if you get the Synergistic Research HFTs and ECTs on their 30 day trial basis, you will experience much more dramatic change than with fuses and chords put together

I inquired from my parent who by profession is a electrical engineer. He said power cords and fuses make very little difference. rather what makes a difference is the noise filtering immediately before and after the rectification stage inside the amplifier that impact the sound. In addition he said inside the amplifier not ac but dc is used and the rectifiers convert ac to dc.

My own opinion is that less expensive amplifiers may have undersized power cords so upgrading may be improve the sound by providing ideal voltage and current due to higher gauge power cable. Fuse has to be right sized to be effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineers normally don't get it. They recite theory learned in school with half knowledge of the actual product by reading some brief description on the web. I doubt any amplifier manufacturer writes that I have not completed work on my power supply, and left it with some cheap products to increase profit margins. One can experiment by opening it, replacing stuff and see if it improves, or simply trying a better fuse or power chord to see if it works.

Engineers normally don't get it. They recite theory learned in school with half knowledge of the actual product by reading some brief description on the web. I doubt any amplifier manufacturer writes that I have not completed work on my power supply, and left it with some cheap products to increase profit margins. One can experiment by opening it, replacing stuff and see if it improves, or simply trying a better fuse or power chord to see if it works.

Please read easy to understand info regarding above issue at the following website:

Audioholics.com
Home
Audio video cables
audio power cables and cords- do they really make a difference?

Hi M15, to start with, power cords will make the least difference on a power amp. They will make the most on the source, followed by the pre. All cords have capacitance, inductance and resistance, and the gauge changes from cable to cable, so do the connectors, as there is resistance at the connectors. And there is also something called distributed capacitance. These things can be measured. What matters is, differences can be heard. There might not be a right or wrong, but some cable will balance out something in your system. And, in those systems where the cables don't show a change in sound, it is because the system is not revealing enough. I have tried the same cables which did not make an impact in my system in a couple of others where they did. So I now believe they make a difference, do they make as much as some other components, no they don't. Will I spend a lot on them, no I won't. I will get good connectors though. And fuses, which are cheap. Also in the UK cables have 13a fuses, and fuseless cables when inserted make the system more dynamic, quiet and smooth.

Back