Accuphase Integrated Amplifier A or A/B for Montis ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
Hi, I am considering to replace my integrated A/B Mcintosh MA-7900 with an Accuphase Integrated amplifier (just considering - not a final decision). However, there are two approaches to this: Either a 30W class A amplifier (E-600) or a A/B 140W (E-360).

The reasons I a considering Accuphase is due to the very transparent and detailed sound and very wide sound stage (that said, I do appreciate the very deep sound stage of the Mcintosh)

With the x2 price over the E-360, one would assume that the E600 class A is the better option. However, ESL speakers with wide impedance load variations may be too much for a 30W amplifier (even though there is plenty of current available).

Acutally, the dealer that sold me the Montis overheated a class a amp during a demonstration (it was way more expensive than the E-600) - So I am concerned about getting a Class Amp for the Montis.

Hence, the question is: Do you have any experience using Accuphase for hybrid speakers such as the ML Montis? Furthermore, would you recommend to try a class A or a Class A/B with more Watts.

If you can let your ears be the judge ………. 30 watts depending on type of music, levels listened to and the room in which they reside may not be enough.

FWIW, my 125w Plinius (Class A) provides plenty of power to drive my Spires in my 15x24 ft room

Redux, I have heard the Montis sound EXTREMELY good at one of the Newport shows. Peter was using a

Herron tube preamp http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/herron_vtsp3.htm

and a Wells amp http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0513/wells_audio_innamorata_amplifier.htm

I have also heard them sound very good in another demo Peter was running, and the gear and the setup were NOT even close to optimum.

Now. Not trying to start a fight between the SS and the Vacuum camps, but...........

Why not an extremely nice pair of used tube mono blocks, since the woofers have their own D class??

Bruce

Have ML Montis which were being driven using Eastern Electric integrated KT88 amp that produces 60watts 8ohms. Was not happy with the top frequency brittle sound that had not existed with previous speakers. Suspect the Ohm drop at upper Hz was to fault. Switched to a Vincent hybrid integrated with tube pre-amp section feeding SS output that provides 10 watts class A @8ohms and 125watts A/B 8ohms, 225, 4ohms and apparently keeps cranking below that point. Now the Montis sound full with deep wide stage and the recessive brittle high end is full, bright, and pinpoint accurate. The class D amp for the sub seems happy with the signal from the Vincent.

Upbeatdownbeat. I don't think it was tubes in general that were the problem, but rather the specific tube amp that was used.

As you see from my signature I use a pair of Manley NeoClassic 250 in triode. 10 EL34's per chassis. Not bright, not harsh, quite revealing. Capable of about 160 watts in triode and were used full range before I began to biamp.

The Wells I mentioned above is SS and certainly sounds good too. And it really is all about the synergy.

Bruce

Redux, I have heard the Montis sound EXTREMELY good at one of the Newport shows. Peter was using a

Herron tube preamp http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/herron_vtsp3.htm

and a Wells amp http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0513/wells_audio_innamorata_amplifier.htm

I have also heard them sound very good in another demo Peter was running, and the gear and the setup were NOT even close to optimum.

Now. Not trying to start a fight between the SS and the Vacuum camps, but...........

Why not an extremely nice pair of used tube mono blocks, since the woofers have their own D class??

Bruce

Bruce, I read the review on the Wells amp…………. a 'half assed' review IMO, he doesn't really tell of the amps topology and the specs he lists don't jive with the manufacturers.

I'm not saying the amp is bad though and I'm sure it sounded quite nice up against the Montis

Dave,

I am sure there are other better reviews I just grabbed one of the web.

A very close audiophile friend of mine (almost 30 years now) whose opinion and ears (avid opera goer and vinyl-ophile) I greatly respect, and who is just as JADED as I, came back from an audio show in No. Cal and sent me an email recommending I go hear a Wells.

He did not know I had heard it almost a year earlier. I am not recommending the Wells, only holding it out as a good example of SS.

I believe that if one is willing to do a little work a similar result can be had through synergy for a WHOLE lot less $$$$.

Bruce

Thank you! The Wells looks great and as far I can see from reviews they also sound great.

That said, I want a brand that can be repaired in Norway, and still have some value if I decide to sell in a few years. Hence, Mcintosh is by far the safest option - and they also sound great - but they might not be the very best optimal match for the Montis. I want to check out Accuphase due to the extreme resolution and magic of these amps - but I have no idea if it is a good match for Martin Logan.

Redux, FWIW, the hybrid M/L's are not that difficult to drive. My system (Spire's) is similar and my Rogue monoblocks along with my Plinius do a fine job. The biggest concern with respect to valve gear is high freq roll off, usually caused by a high source impedance mismatch. (The capacitive load the speaker presents combined with an inverse impedance drop on the high end)

Redux, FWIW, the hybrid M/L's are not that difficult to drive. My system (Spire's) is similar and my Rogue monoblocks along with my Plinius do a fine job. The biggest concern with respect to valve gear is high freq roll off, usually caused by a high source impedance mismatch. (The capacitive load the speaker presents combined with an inverse impedance drop on the high end)

I know. This is the main reason that I consider to replace my current MA7900 amp (SS with trafo just like a tube amp). It is a great amp - but probably not the best match for Montis.

Perhaps you could try and ask a dealer that sells both ML and Accuphase. I know one here in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, that does. They are called Multifoon.
They just started selling Accuphase this summer, so I don't know if they have any experience yet with combinations of the two brands, but it's worth a try to send them a message. They are very nice people.

Perhaps you could try and ask a dealer that sells both ML and Accuphase. I know one here in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, that does. They are called Multifoon.
They just started selling Accuphase this summer, so I don't know if they have any experience yet with combinations of the two brands, but it's worth a try to send them a message. They are very nice people.

Thank you! I will try :)

Back