Thinking about purchasing Krell S-550i fro my Montis!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowkey37

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using Krell integrated with Martin Logan speakers?

Cheers!

Mike

I used a Krell 400xi integrated with my Aerius for a couple of years. It was a definite huge step up from the Yamaha receiver I had been using. I then purchased a tube integrated amp (100wpc) that I liked even better. Maybe it was a little euphonic shading from the tube amp, I don't know. I couldn't really fault the Krell, though, it was great. So good, that I've kept it, even though I now use separate monoblocs in my system. I hope to use the Krell in another system, someday.

Krell 300i. 550i should be much better. But also try some lower priced alternatives like the Rogue Audio Medusa (though tougher to find used). Krell FPB 600 is a massive power amp that can be bought used in the UK for around 2.5k. You will need a pre then though. I upgraded from an Krell s300i to a pre-power ARC combo and it was a huge upgrade. I am in London, btw, if you want to chat. and Phil (Hifinutt) is in Birmingham, and Matt who has Montis lives in London

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies fellas. I 'm also considering a Luxman 505u. Wondering if it is powerful enough to push the Montis?

Cheers

Any chance you would consider selling the 400xi?

I used a Krell 400xi integrated with my Aerius for a couple of years. It was a definite huge step up from the Yamaha receiver I had been using. I then purchased a tube integrated amp (100wpc) that I liked even better. Maybe it was a little euphonic shading from the tube amp, I don't know. I couldn't really fault the Krell, though, it was great. So good, that I've kept it, even though I now use separate monoblocs in my system. I hope to use the Krell in another system, someday.

Does anyone have any experience using Krell integrated with Martin Logan speakers?

Cheers!

Mike

I have heard Luxman monaural switched stereo main amplifiers and pre combination at an exhibition driving JBL flagship 2 way speakers at an exhibition. I have also heard the previous incarnation of Krell S-550i that is the Krell KAV 500i driving with aplomb hard to drive large Vienna Acoustics speakers.

I would assert that the Krell S-550i may be a far better amplifier than the Luxman 505u. Krell KAV 500ij had a enormous 2KVA transformer. If the Krell S-550i has a equal or larger size transformer than it should be the automatic choice. The Krell is available at music direct at a substantial discount. I have heard the Krell KAV 300i , KAV 500i and Krell 400xi and so I say there is a drastic improvement in performance when going from the smaller Krell integrated to its larger integrated.

Having acquired a state of art Montis loudspeaker I think you should do it justice by unleashing its potential with S-550i or KAV 400xi. And good audio player, interconnects and speaker cables.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back