System #489 (Montis)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newAVphile

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Jared
2. Location: Temple, TX
3. ML Model(s): Montis, C2, FX2, Funk Audio 18.0.
4. Year Purchased: 2013
5. Mods/Changes: I vacuumed them a couple times.:D
6. Associated Electronics: Marantz 7702, Marantz 8077, Wyred 4 Sound mAMPs, Wyred 4 Sound DAC 1LE, Oppo 105d, Sonos, mostly Cardas cables.
7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: This is a quick post about my system. I have been slowly upgrading over the years. My next upgrades will be my subwoofer, pre/pro and amplifier. I like the descent i's (I had 2 of them), but they didn't dig as deep as I would like so I have ordered 2 funk audio 18.0. I will post pictures of those when I get them. I like the Marantz gear, but I feel like I should give the Montis more power. I bought the Wyred 4 Sound mAMPs and so far I love them with the Montis. I have terrible acoustics in my room, but I will be moving in less than 2 years and I will buy a house with a dedicated home theater room and I will address my acoustics then.

8. An image of your system: photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
Jared, welcome !

I'm sure you love your Montis speakers but by all means get them out into the room ! You're 'way' too close to the walls and I suspect the opening behind the right speaker is not helping matters any.

Jared, welcome !

I'm sure you love your Montis speakers but by all means get them out into the room ! You're 'way' too close to the walls and I suspect the opening behind the right speaker is not helping matters any.

Welcome. Agree with Dave - a little work on that setup will bring big rewards.

Thank you both! I totally agree with you. Those are old pictures, I have put GIK panels behind them. Plus, when I'm having a serious listening session, I pull them out about 4 feet from the wall. Right now I am space and WAF limited, so I don't have a lot of options. I also have TERRIBLE room acoustics and I can't fix it because they're in my only common living space in the house. I assure you all that I will set them up properly when I move in less than 2 years. Until then, I'm still happy with their sound, however I have heard them setup properly, so I understand what I'm missing.

Thank you both! I totally agree with you. Those are old pictures, I have put GIK panels behind them. Plus, when I'm having a serious listening session, I pull them out about 4 feet from the wall. Right now I am space and WAF limited, so I don't have a lot of options. I also have TERRIBLE room acoustics and I can't fix it because they're in my only common living space in the house. I assure you all that I will set them up properly when I move in less than 2 years. Until then, I'm still happy with their sound, however I have heard them setup properly, so I understand what I'm missing.

I tried GIKs behind the panels and didn't like them, thought they made it lifeless.

I tried GIKs behind the panels and didn't like them, thought they made it lifeless.

They're definitely not ideal, but they have helped in my system since I cannot pull my speakers out more. Have you tried other acoustic panels that worked better, or is it GIK specifically that you didn't like? Other than pulling the speakers out and using GIK, do you have any suggestions to help my sound quality?

1. Member Name: Jared
2. Location: Temple, TX
3. ML Model(s): Montis, C2, FX2, Funk Audio 18.0.
4. Year Purchased: 2013
5. Mods/Changes: I vacuumed them a couple times.:D
6. Associated Electronics: Marantz 7702, Marantz 8077, Wyred 4 Sound mAMPs, Wyred 4 Sound DAC 1LE, Oppo 105d, Sonos, mostly Cardas cables.
7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: This is a quick post about my system. I have been slowly upgrading over the years. My next upgrades will be my subwoofer, pre/pro and amplifier. I like the descent i's (I had 2 of them), but they didn't dig as deep as I would like so I have ordered 2 funk audio 18.0. I will post pictures of those when I get them. I like the Marantz gear, but I feel like I should give the Montis more power. I bought the Wyred 4 Sound mAMPs and so far I love them with the Montis. I have terrible acoustics in my room, but I will be moving in less than 2 years and I will buy a house with a dedicated home theater room and I will address my acoustics then.

8. An image of your system:View attachment 17247

Some updates on my system:

IMG_1550.JPGIMG_1564.JPGIMG_1548.JPG

The Funk Audio subwoofers are awesome. They're no more accurate than the Descent i, but they are more powerful. The mAMPs really are smooth, accurate and sweet sounding and I'm not even done breaking them in.

Thats a pretty killer setup. You've separated the surround and two channel right? 8077 driving the surround stuff and the W4S amps driving the Logans?

How do you like your EM-FX2 as surrounds? Just using 2 placed in the back or 4 with sides and rears? Do they blend well with the front three speakers?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

Latest posts

Back