SL3- clean, new stators, upgrade..?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polskajay

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and admittedly have lost touch with pulse of high-end audio. I appreciate anyone's help. I have a pair of SL3 that I bought used in prob 2007. I LOVED them initially. Now, I think they are much less involving. I know they need a cleaning. When I look closely through the holes, I can see a small dirt spot on almost every one and if I put a small cotton swab in and twist gently, it's clearly dirt. I do vacuum them pretty regularly. My question is as the title says. I just read the cleaning PDF and it scares me to try. Now, they are old, 1995. Is it worth attempting the clean? Keep them but order new stators? upgrade to a newer model? Has there been a lot of improvement in the technology that a newer model will sound appreciably better (in the same size realm). If I were to upgrade, I'd certainly want to get something out of them $$ so getting them back to as good as I can get them is a good idea anyway. Is a dirty stator enough to degrade the sound that appreciably? Help. Thanks, Jay

Those small spots at the center of every stator hole is not 'dirt,' but simply some of the graphite coating which ML applies during assembly which has migrated (for reasons unkown). Every ML from these generations has it to some extent.

Certainly a very thorough vacuum should be done. Use a soft brush and magnifier to inspect for dirt which may be bridging the gap and causing excessive HV leakage. Sometimes this leakage makes faint squeeks and whistles, so check for that. Esp the top surfaces of the spacers collect dirt and over time this dirt along with humidity will make a conductive grime which may cause excessive leakage. If it is that bad, then showering may be attempted (but only as a last resort).

You can buy new panels from ML at the eye-watering cost of about $1300.

Latest posts

Back