Courage Under Fire (DTS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Courage Under Fire (DTS/THX)

Title: Courage Under Fire (DTS/THX)
Year of Release: 1996
Film Studio: Twentieth Century Fox
Genre: War / Action / Drama

This film was wonderfully directed by Edward Zwick. Zwick delivers the perfect blend of war imagery, through flashbacks and interpersonal trails and tribulations of characters involved in a military investigation for the first female “Medal Of Honor” recipient. Zwick tastefully explores the human trauma of the horrors and the necessity of war, using the first gulf war, Desert Storm as the backdrop for the film.

The story in centered around a US Army officer, LT Colonel Serling (Denzel Washington) who is despondent over a deadly accident he made, investigates the worthiness for the “Medal Of Honor” for helicopter commander Captain Karen Walden (Meg Ryan). The commander Walden had been involved in a rescue of another group of US infantry, which were surrounded by enemy Iraqis forces. Serling’s investigation at first seems one way then takes several twists and turns, becoming a personal odyssey for Serling. The question becomes whether Captain Walden deserves the Medal Of Honor.

Denzel Washington gives a genuinely inspired performance. He displays emotion, while portraying an alcoholic. He is tortured conflicting emotions are acted with real feeling and conviction. A real stellar performance by Washington. Serling is passionate and just wants to do this investigation correctly be it good bad or indifferent. Zwick directed “Glory”, which lead to Washington collecting the best supporting actor Academy Award. I feel these two gentlemen were just a marvelous in Courage Under Fire. :D

Meg Ryan delivers an outstanding performance as the heroine. Meg Ryan finally is in a movie that is not a comedy. Ryan pulls it off with intensity and grit. The film requires Ryan to portray her character Karen Walden with different personalities in the various scenarios flashbacks. Ryan does a terrific convincing job with each personality.

The supporting cast of Lou Diamond Phillips, Michael Moriarty, Matt Damon, Regina Taylor and Scott Glen provides terrific performances as well. :D I would like to share some juicy quotes from this great film:

Monfriez (Lou Diamond Phillips) to Serling (Washington): Sir, if you get a hang fire on your weapon, what do you do? You wait, with your weapon pointed in a safe direction, ‘cause sometimes the primer bursts, and if you open the chamber it blows up in your face. Leave this round in the chamber, sir.

Serling (Washington) to Monfriez (Lou Diamond Phillips): Let me respond to you this way. I’m an officer, and therefore, by proclamation, a gentleman, but don’t abuse that, son. Don’t get in my cross-hairs, because I’ll have no compunction whatsoever about getting up to my neck in yo’ ***. Do you understand me?

Just writing about this fantastic film makes me want to see it again, so I think I will see it this weekend, just for the fun of it all. I think the reason I love this film so much is because Courage Under Fire has it all Action, War, Drama and beautiful American honor which inspires me.

Courage Under Fire really does need the DTS/THX full treatment. It gives ‘umph’ to the action and war sequences, while giving depth to the dynamic effects of each war flashback. This DVD has great DTS/THX sound, but very little bonus material, which is fine by me as long as I can have DTS/THX sound. This is one of those films that I would love to own on Blue-Ray. Hopefully Courage Under Fire will come to Blue-Ray very soon.

Courage Under Fire is definitely a must see for everyone, and great to have in your DVD library. :D

:D HT relaxed comfortably surrounded in ML bliss, until next time let the movies turn you on…

Attachments

• B00005221J.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B00005221J.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Back